Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Gourmet Magazine: It's Tiki Time!

Pages: 1 6 replies

Mrs. Satan's Sin subscribes to Gourmet magazine, and much to my amazement I notice that the cover of June's issue shows a tiki feast ... not a "luau" exactly, but the article is entitled "Tiki Time" and lists such mouth-watering recipes as "Pineapple Rum Cocktails," "Crab-and-Pork Spring Rolls," and "Coconut Coffee Marbled Ice Cream Cake."

The other recipes are here:

http://www.epicurious.com/gourmet/menus/tiki_time

(Why would they post recipes right away? Don't they want people to buy the magazine?)

On 2006-06-04 08:03, Satan's Sin wrote:
...(Why would they post recipes right away? Don't they want people to buy the magazine?)

Why indeed....

When they said Cocktail I got excited.

PINEAPPLE RUM COCKTAILS
This tasty pineapple rum cocktail is everything a tropical drink should be: sweet, fruity, and icy cold.

6 cups (1-inch) chunks cored peeled pineapple (labeled "extra sweet")
12 oz (3/4 cup) amber rum such as Bacardi
3 oz (6 tablespoons) Cointreau or other orange-flavored liqueur
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3/4 cup superfine granulated sugar
6 cups ice cubes

All this goes in the blender.

Hold me, I'm scared...... 6 cups pineapple AND 3/4 cup sugar????? This is desert, not a cocktail. It sounds yummy and I can't wait to try it. As DESERT! This is not a cocktail, by any stretch of the imagination. This is a smoothie with a kicker!

K

On 2006-06-04 15:34, Chip and Andy wrote:
This is not a cocktail, by any stretch of the imagination. This is a smoothie with a kicker!

Laff!

True. It seems that most of the recipes for cocktails I see in food mags are weak and sweet. Often times the liquor is measured in tablespoons.

Tablespoons? What kind of party is this?

Just give me the bottle and show me the door.

Ahu

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Jun 7, 2006 8:35 AM

Tsk, tsk! The 6 cups of "extra sweet" pineapple sweetness and 3/4 cup of pure sugar sweetness is entirely offset by the 1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh juice!

Ms Swanky tried to serve classic cocktails to a luau themed bridal shower. They would have none of it and poured lots of pineapple juice into everything and made it sickly sweet and ate M&M's instead of the regular veggie dips, etc. Ick!

If you really wanna improve the above recipe, add high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar...

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: swanky 2006-06-07 08:56 ]

K

On 2006-06-07 08:35, Swanky wrote:

If you really wanna improve the above recipe, add high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar...

..and some Ritalin.

M&M mai tai anyone?

Ahu

I got this issue in the mail the other day... aside from their weak attempt at cocktail recipes (notice that somehow 12oz of rum equals 3/4 cup in their recipe), I was more jilted at the fact that they called the article "Tiki Time", yet there's not anything remotely Tiki in their spread of photos. I guess they managed to avoid that with their opening comment "Here, some Pacific Rim favorites go from kitsch to cuisine..."

Aw, Traderpup, give 'em a break! Come over to my house and have some Crab-and-Pork Spring Rolls! I guarantee the Martin Denny background music will scratch that tiki itch!

Pages: 1 6 replies