Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Kitsch art spotter

Pages: 1 5 replies

LT

Hi, my first proper post and it's not tiki, typical! Anyway among my many obsessions is the art of painters like Tretchikoff, Lynch, and the lesser known Van der Syde. The latter is actually my fav and I'm very glad to say I've got a print of his which I just love. It's really funny to see these prints show up in TV and films. They seem to sum up a taste of a certain era (1960s & 70s) and a certain class (working) particularly in Britain. They're just all over the place in old British sitcoms. But without doubt my favourite sighting is from A Clockwork Orange. Alex's parents' home is just plastered with them. Mostly Lynch but amazingly a Van Der Syde and it's the same as mine!

Tretchikoff's Chinese Lady aka Green Lady (best selling print of all time (eat your heart out Van Gogh, Monet and Warhol!))

Clockwork Orange: Van Der Syde's Gypsy Girl to the left and Lynch's Autumn Leaves on the right

Clockwork Orange: Lynch's Tina on the left and his Nymph on the right (dig that wallpaper!)

And last, but not least, my own lovely Gypsy Girl.

I have a number of other prints by Lynch and Tretchikoff about my place and I will undoubtedly bore you with them another time. I'm Irish and I live in Dublin so you don't see these a lot over here. Just wondering whether any of you guys have these or similar prints. Do they make much of an appearance in American jumble sales? Probably not, anyway I'm kind of curious.

:tiki:Hey and I managed to post an image with tiki mugs in it, hey not so irrelevant after all!

[ Edited by: lone tiki? 2006-06-04 09:33 ]

Nice observance lone tiki.
(Showing my age, I saw Clockwork in the theater)
Welcome to TC.

I

That is interesting, seeing those paintings in 'A Clockwork Orange' I've seen that movie many times, but just gained a new appreciation for those scenes shown. It is a feeling I got when watching 'The Graduate' one year, and realizing the elder generation, with there cocktail scenes and lounges, were much cooler than I had thought when I was a teenager.

If you love Tretchikoff and that genre of paintings, I would highly recommend the book 'Just Above the Mantelpiece: Mass-Market Masterpieces' The first chapter is dedicated to Tretchikoff. The book has a great 'flocked wallpaper' tactile sensation cover.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1861541945/102-2928819-9450527?v=glance&n=283155

Vern

OL

I love that print of the Chinese Lady! I have a copy hanging in my bedroom, and I use that image as my avatar on another bulletin board.

Tretchikoff's Chinese Lady aka Green Lady (best selling print of all time )

Is that true?

LT

Hi all, thanks for your replies. I couldn't agree more on the subject of shifting reappraisals of bygone fashions in films. I mean Mrs Robinson's pad is just the business, mock stonewall effects and pride of place bar with all the trimmings. And Mrs Robinson herself, and those tan lines of hers, what ever happened to tan lines? Are they purely the product of pre-80s culture? Anyway off the subject there. To the best of my knowledge The Chinese Lady is the bestselling print of all time. The official Tretchikoff website claims as much. Here's the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.tretchikoff.co.uk/

I'm really glad to hear it has its fans all over (why I seem to be promoting the bestselling print of all time like it's some charity case I have no idea!).

Actually my fav of his is the slightly less well known Miss Wong, she's gorgeous, even without tan lines!

:drink: Cheers!

B

Great pics! Loved the wallpaper!! Reminds me of the fantastic use of wallpaper in the less-than-stellar recent film Lucky Number Slevin. There is a great bio on Tretchikoff called Pidgeon's Luck - little tricky to find.

Pages: 1 5 replies