Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Ti Punch

Pages: 1 3 replies

Does anyone have a definative Petit Punch/ Ti Punch recipe to share?

Some nice variations would be appreciated.

I really love Ti punch!

I think this is probably the prehistoric ancestor from which other modern rum cocktails (including the daquiri) eventually evolved. The rhyming recipe "One part sour, two parts sweet, three parts strong, four parts weak" is so simple, but can make a brilliant, balanced drink that really shows off the character of the rum used-- a whole greater than the sum of it's parts.

My current favorite recipe is:

1oz fresh squeezed lime
2oz simple syrup
3oz Martinique Rhum (Right now,I'm a fan of Neisson Agricole Blanc for this)
4oz soda water

Mix in a tall glass with ice, stir-- do not shake.

Using soda water is a bit of a change to the classic, but I think it makes the drink more refreshing. Also, it seems that a Ti punch makes an excellent foil for the funky, nutty character of the young Martinique rum.

-MR

K

I drink them all the time at home. My "usual" is Mt. Gay Eclipse, lime, ice, sugar syrup, and Angostura bitters.

A variation I do on occasion is Lemon Hart Demerara, Cruzan light, lemon, sugar syrup, heavy dash of Peychuad bitters, ice.

Also nice is Mt. Gay Sugar Cane Brandy (or Rum as it is sometimes labeled) and orange bitters (Fee Bros).

Admitedly I prefer mine with the addition of water, served as a long drink. I'll down them in the traditional form without the water, but it opens them up so much and makes them perfect for a hot day. I'd be more inclined to go water-less in the late evening or before a meal, or maybe with a smoke. But the rest of the time they get a few ounces of H20.

Ahu

T
thejab posted on Thu, Jun 8, 2006 4:32 PM

I made one last night.

First I put an ounce of lime juice in a tall glass. Then I added superfine sugar to taste (about 2 tablespoons) and stirred to dissolve the sugar. In went ice, and then 3 ounces of Rhum Clément Premiere Canne White Rum.

Then I topped it off with 4 ounces of seltzer, which I have delivered in vintage bottles by Seltzer Sisters in San Francisco. This particular bottle has a great label design.

Very refreshing!

Pages: 1 3 replies