Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

New glasses for Wed. nite!! Carved glass

Pages: 1 23 replies

C

Hi everyone! I just wanted to give a shout, since I'm new here. I sandblast/carve glass, and the majority of my themes have been ocean related, and recently I have begun creating tiki designs in glass.
While I am new to creating tiki designs, it is not a new style or genre to me. I have enjoyed the island style for a very long time, and after enthusiastic encouragement, I am creating my own.
I will be posting some pics in the near future of my most current works...and I hope all will enjoy!
I am also in discussion with someone whom a lot of you know of, who is the source of the enthusiasm and is very excited about the work being created.
Sorry if this doesn't fit in this topic. It will eventually, since I will be offering up my goods.
Alright, take it easy everyone!

[ Edited by: cherokee 2006-06-09 06:15 ]

[ Edited by: cherokee 2006-06-14 17:16 ]

[ Edited by: cherokee 2006-06-14 17:17 ]

[ Edited by: cherokee 2006-06-17 15:11 ]

[ Edited by: cherokee 2006-06-21 16:43 ]

[ Edited by: cherokee 2006-06-28 20:38 ]

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 7, 2006 8:38 PM

Welcome! Cant wait to see pics

Yeh, this isnt the best place to post this, try "tiki central Ohana" for member based stuff. This area is for selling stuff. If you're just posting pics of work, in "creating tiki"

Post some pics already! :)

C

Thank you! I will try that as well.

C

I will be working on my 3rd piece today. Hopefully this evening I will have 3 to show.

C

Hi everyone, well, I have completed my 3rd piece, and I have decided I am going to post the pics, and see what you guys think of the work.
First, I would like to explain the process, for those that aren't familiar with sandblasted glass.
I start with a high quality crystal, usually hand blown. I like to use thick pieces. I then draw a design onto a heavy vinyl, then cut the design by hand using really sharp blades. Then, using high air pressure, i use multiple sandblasting tools to etch and carve into the glass. Depending on the effect I want, decides which sort of blaster I use. The pieces you will see here have heavy blasting and carving. This is a fairly slow process to get the detail and multi-level textures I like to have in my work. On some pieces, the design is extruded from the glass, meaning, the glass around the image is blasted away, so the image stands out from the glass. Also, I like to shape the tops to match the design. Glass is rather difficult to photograph. This stuff definitely is better appreciated in person, so you can feel the textures, and truly see the details--a lot is lost in pics.
One more side note--last summer I did a show with Drew Brophy(some of you know his fantastic art).I met Holden of Tiki Farm, and he has been very enthusiastic about this work, and we will be working together very soon.
This is a quote he recently sent me--I suppose he will use something like this for the promos.
"I think here's a good TF quote..."

"If you've ever seen Kyle's hand carved crystal glass pieces in person, then you know what I mean when I say unbelievable is the best word to describe them. The detailing on them is insane, bordering manic! In all sincerity, there is nothing like these out there anywhere in the world of Tiki. These are serious pieces of Modern Tiki art without peer"
I really appreciate Holden's enthusiasm, and I'm really excited about working with him.
The pieces..."PINEAPPLE-AKA" is a 12" tall vase.
"'A'A MO'I" is 10" tall.
"The Tribe" Manic tiki surfers, and cool fish/waves is a 12" tall rectangular vase. Very heavy.
If you would like more info or pics, let me know.
I am building stock for the Tiki Farm. but if I sell some pieces in the meantime, then that means I can buy more glass to work with! These are for sale.
You can also go to http://www.hunterglass.com to see past works.
Thanks. I hope all enjoy the work I love to create! Let me know what you think!

[ Edited by: cherokee 2006-06-08 19:49 ]

[ Edited by: cherokee 2006-06-08 19:53 ]

C

[ Edited by: cherokee 2006-06-08 18:35 ]

[ Edited by: cherokee 2006-06-08 19:53 ]

J

Not familiar with the shutterfly site - but I post all of my images through photobucket.com. You simply download your photos onto your own computer from your digital source -ie. camera, edit them to a downloadable friendly (small file size). Once on photobucket you upload your images and create a photo album of your desired images. The site the provides you with html friendly links you can then post onto message boards, myspace, etc. To post on Tiki Central use the IMG format IMG surrounded by square brackets[ ] (you'll see the provided option at photobucket),
and your good to go. Photobucket.com even lets you edit your image file size on its site.
Give it a try! Good luck

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2006-06-08 19:12 ]

C

Aaah, super! Thanks for the help. That's much better!!

Hey Cherokee-
Your glass work looks really cool. I could see myself sipping a on a pretty healthy, refreshing Mai Tai in one of those bad boys. Thanks for sharing your work!! The colors look great!!! Where can one purchase your work?
Later,
Spermy

oh yeah, i dig the lava king!

C

Thanks Spermy!
Well, you can place an order directly with me, or, I also have a lot on Ebay. I have the vases on their as well, just to see what would happen. I don't expect them to get much action...the wrong forum for these sort of things. But, I do have a lot of my other glassware. My Ebay ID is Hunter-glass. And the Ebay store is Hunter Glass and Designs.
Thanks for your interest!

C

Alright, I just finished this today. This stands 8" tall by a little over 3 1/4" wide, and 1/8" thickness.
This is probably a vase, but what a great drinking glass this would make!!
O-K, I sandblasted the fire in with a lot of texture and carve, and the Tiki design stands out from the glass as well.
You have to feel this stuff to really appreciate it, but you get the idea.
The Tiki is painted purple, and all paint is dishwasher safe!!
I'm putting this on Ebay tonite, along with some other stuff I made, Ebay ID is Hunter-glass.
Here is my page link http://stores.ebay.com/Hunter-Glass-and-Design
Once I have some more pieces together, I'll be collaborating with Tiki Farm for a release of the bulk.
Also, looks like I'll be part of The Hukilau!
I'm starting to build up a lot of cool designs that I've been drawing, and I have a lot of cool ideas for more glass that I'll be creating. Let me know what you guys think!! I'll be making more.

[ Edited by: cherokee 2006-06-14 18:33 ]

I can't even believe how cool those are! I'm glad you'll be at the hukilau, see you there.

C

Thanks Finkdaddy!! Yeah, Hukilau looks like it'll be fun!

H

Glad you posted some pics - that glass work is awesome! The Lava King is may fave. Nice work - looking forward to seeing more

Amazing stuff. I really like the colors. Nice depth on the glasswork.

C

Thanks a lot Matt! Keep your eyes peeled...I'm working on a new mug tonite, similiar to the most recent Flamin' Tiki Mug. A piece of my equipment is acting up, So I may have to shut down to get a new part, but I'm going to try, and see if I can pull one more out first.

C

Hi everyone!
Well, here is a new giant mug or vase...whichever you prefer. It's sort of like the last flamin' mug, but different colors(purple with red fade) and a different tiki head. It's also larger. It measures at 10" tall and 4" wide.
The flames are sandblasted into the glass so it has cool texture. The bones at the bottom, and the tiki head stand out from the glass.
The colors are dishwasher safe.
One little problem...I blasted a small hole(pictured) through the glass. This is the occassional risk with sandblasting at high pressures. The glass is still totally functional, if you're going to drink from it, just avoid the hole, or you've got yourself a dribble glass!
This is an original design, and a one-of-a-kind piece. I have signed it.
I am selling this at a reduced price, due to the slip-up. I may put this up on Ebay, I'm not sure yet. If you'd like it, let me know. I'd like to get $45 for it.
I have 3 other pieces available and for sale. I am going to be working with Tiki Farm very soon, and my work will be featured. I would like to sell a few in order to afford some more supplies to work on some cool new ideas I have. You can check Ebay for what I have going on, or contact me for available pieces.
Thanks a lot!! Hope you like the work!

My goodness! That glass could hold almost 70 oz.! Even taking off several ounces to avoid that hole it could easily hold 60 oz., more than enough to share. :D

Have you thought about doing a footed Tiki Bowl? Something like a Scorpion Bowl or Mai Kai Mystery Bowl, only in glass. Maybe you could work with Bodhi Boy or John from Creative Glassworks, having them make the feet?

C

Actually Freddie, yes, I am keen on the idea of making some bowls. I either have to find some that will fit the bill, or have some custom made, which is proving rather difficult.
Here is a bowl I carved a while back. It is sort of Tiki style...Tiki fish!
So, I have some ideas to make some more with this sort of style...with the design coming out from the bowl.
Thanks for the idea and names. I may give 'em a ring!

C

Hi all, here is a new bowl I made. It's 3 inches tall by 5 inches wide. It has the bones of those lost to the fiery lava.
The 2 main skulls have tones sandblasted on them, and the flames are multi-level. The bowl is very red with subtle yellow fades.
I should have this up on Ebay by tonite or a little later!
link to image
http://stores.ebay.com/Hunter-Glass-and-Design

[ Edited by: cherokee 2006-06-21 16:49 ]

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine - to link to large image - 2006-06-28 21:10 ]

C

Hi all!
Well, here are a few new drinking glasses I created today. These are real heavy, thick, pub style glasses. I get these thick ones so I can do some meaty carving into the glass. As you may be able to tell, I have done multiple stages and styles of sandblasting. And, some colors! Of course, every glass is created one by one, by these hands.
The last glass is a Tiki design I blasted onto it. My sand mixture got screwed up, so this one didn't come out too well. I had some cool plans for him, but, I'll have to wait 'til the next one. I'd like to get some feedback on what the Tiki fans think of designs blasted into glass like this, seeing as how this is not the "normal" kind of ceramic mug, etc.
I have been getting wonderful responses from my vases, but I figured I'd make a few Tiki, sandblasted glasses and see how they would be received. But, keep in mind, the Tiki glass shown is a reject!
Alright, I should have some of these up at my Ebay locale, tonight, or tomorrow.
Thanks!

Wow!~

VERY cool, unique, nice nice work on those pieces.

C

How about a fiery bar set to serve your favorite mixed concoction? Real heavy and thick glassware with my favorite style of sandblasting...DEEP CARVING!! Texture, texture, texture! Of course, these have matching shots!
Let me know if you would like a set. I may not be putting these up on my Ebay store. I have to chill on the auctions for a bit...my fees got a bit high, as I was trying some different things.
Thanks for the kind words everybody!!

Pages: 1 23 replies