Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Wanted: A punch bowl full of Mai Tai

Pages: 1 10 replies

Hi there-

This is my first post on Tiki Central after much lurking! I love making Mai Tais and want to make them punch-style for a party. I normally use Trader Vic's recipe and am thinking of just filling a punch bowl with a giant batch (after working out the math) and serving ice and garnishes on the side.

Has anyone done this, or have any opinions on doing it? While the spirit of the drink may be diminished somewhat by doing it this way, it will allow me to introduce all of my guests to the glories of a real Mai Tai without spending the entire evening behind the bar of my own party.

Thanks!

M

I have in the past made my own Mai Tai mix for quick mixing - so at least at the 1.5 litre level it works out.

Here is the math that I used (I use equal part lime to Curacao/syrups, to my own taste):

Makes 750 ml of 'mix'

375 ml Fresh Lime Juice
187 1/2 ml Orange Curacao
93 3/4 ml Simple Syrup
93 3/4 ml Orgeat

You can use 2oz of the mix with 1oz each of your rums: Mai Tai Love!

So, 1/2 of a bottle each of your rums and the entirety of this mix bottle should make a decent punch.

For the traditional 'mix' here is the math:

Makes 750 ml of 'mix'

250 ml Fresh Lime Juice
250 ml Oreange Curacao
125 ml Simple Syrup
125 ml Orgeat

mix 1.5 ml of this mix with 1oz each of your rums (or one bottle of the mix with 2/3rds each of your rums for the punch)

Did that make any sense?

Metrics?? What are you--European? You're just confusing the lad. Make a hogshead of mix:

17,920 drachms of fresh lime juice
35,840 drams of Curacao
560 gills of simple syrup
1.9444444 firkins of Orgeat syrup

add 3 scruples each Jamaican & Martinique rum and you're good for at least a week.

M

You will bow down to the Metric system.

KNEEL BEFORE THE LITER!

Liter-Schmeter.....

To make any drink in large quantities, you need to be aware that not all ingredients scale equally. Liquor is easy, you simply multiply by how many you are making (unless you are dealing with overproof stuff). The flavorings take a bit of finese....

To Punch a Mai-Tai:

You do the math as to how much you need of what, then adjust as follows:

Start with approximately 3/4 of what the recipe calls for on lime juice. 1/2 if you are using bottled.
Start with approximately 1/2 of the bar syrup or Rock Candy sryup.
Start with a bit more than 3/4 of your orgeat and triplesec/cointreau by total volume (or your mix if that is what you are using).

Mix and taste. You can add more of whatever you need in small amounts. A little lime goes a long way and the sugar in the volumes for a punch can actually make your punch sickly, sticky sweet. You can always add ingredients to achieve balance, but you can't take away ingredients once they are in the bowl.

And, there is the added benefit of "Chef's Treat" as you taste-test the recipe!

Enjoy! And welcome to Tiki Central!

H

One thing to consider with big punch bowl recipes is how they taste over time as the ice melts. Some drinks stand up well but proper dilution is key to a good Mai Tai. Of course if people drain your punch bowl within 10 minutes, it may not be an issue.

Personally, I think Dr. Z's Tower of Lapu Lapu is the right approach.

Read more here:

5 Gallon recipes:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14167&forum=10&hilite=bulk%20mai%20tai

Thanks for the info. Very good to know about the ratios not working as well for sweet things as others.

My biggest concern is the ice issue. I was planning on chilling the "punch" before my guests arrive and pour it into the bowl without ice, serving the ice on the side so as to not dilute the punch too much. I'm a little concerned that it won't taste quite right without some melted ice action. Also, whether I should use regular party ice (which will stay frozen longer, I have a small freezer) in place of crushed. Any thoughts on those issues?

M

A trick taught to me by our own Martiki:

1. Slice oranges, lemons, and limes.
  2. Place them flat on coookie sheets in the freezer.
  3. When frozen, remove to freezer bags. Seal and keep in the freezer.

You can replace some of the ice with these useful garnishes without the fear of diluting your punch too much.

It makes the punch look lovely to boot.

Thanks, Martiki!

While the Metric System is vastly superior to the English system, I would have a problem with trying to measure out 3/4 of a milliliter.

Anyway, I believe every drink recipe should be expressed in parts, not absolute measurements. Some people like a larger drink than others.

G

I'm out of town and not near my books, but Intoxica (I believe) has a Trader Vic punch. I think that's what it's called. The taste and formula is similar to a classic Mai Tai. You might consider giving it a try since it is already formulated for a large quantity punch.

Regarding the ice issue, I personally would chill the punch in the fridge and then place the punchbowl on a bed of ice for the party to keep the punch cold. Then pour individual glasses using ice cubes.

S

Mix the punch without ice and let them ladel it over the ice. Otherwise you get odd results.

Pages: 1 10 replies