Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki mural

Pages: 1 17 replies

Lazy afternoon+beer+spraycans+the long awaited swedish summer =

I joined a couple of friends to a graffiti wall in town. Came up with the idea for the piece during the ride there.
So, no sketch and a bag full of crappy spray cans. But I´m quite pleased with the result. I had a cramp in my hand when i was doing the background and i was about to give up so it´s not that advanced. It was the first time i ever made a picture of a moai so the proportions is a bit of.

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2006-06-12 11:14 ]

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2006-06-12 11:17 ]

that's fantastic!

I'm trying to get to a Tiki mural but it would be completely different...indoors and on canvas, and not in graffitti style.

[ Edited by: Exoticat 2006-06-12 12:01 ]

Thanks!

I´m trying to understand your definitions here. What makes this painting "graffiti style". Is it that it´s made with spray cans? Just curios.

T

was it done illegally? I have just become interested in graffiti. I little bit of color in a gray city looks nice now and then.

I like it!!

Mahalo for sharing.

who cares if it's legal? it's COOL! time to go to NYC and make your mark on a subway car!

spray cans, beer and a lazy afternoon!?!?! sounds like the childhood of some friends of mine...except without the awesome mural at the end

M
Moki posted on Mon, Jun 12, 2006 6:45 PM

Great work. Let's see some more!!

T

I'm wondering if its legal, cause that a big piece to pull off and not get caught. Half the have is illegal. I would like to know more about it going up.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jun 12, 2006 8:41 PM

Awesome looking piece of art man!

I would like to hope that it was done legally of course. I love street art, especially if it brightens up the area and makes it cheerier. I hate tags with a passion though.

At one stage I was looking at buying a VW van and having an aerosol artist cover it in a full wrap around tiki mural. Not exactly subtle hey?

I work at local council (in the department that manages graffiti no less). Im trying to get them to open up some space for people to spray in a legal and safe environment. Not my position though, so I have no pull.

Thanks for all your comments.
It´s not done legally but not illegally either.
In my hometown legal graffiti painting walls are banned. BUT there is no legal owner of this wall so it´s lawless. :)
No owner to press charges against a writer, no charge.
The cops have been down taking names and cans from people in the past, but they don´t do that anymore. Ordinary people passing thinks it´s legal to paint on the wall just because you do it so open so they don´t call the cops.

polynesiac>> No subway cars for me, at least no more. :wink:

teakey>> Funny you should ask that. "Is it legal" was the thing that the swedish old school writers asked each other if they were shown a picture of something really outstanding an detailed.

I will post my next painting. Maybe something a bit more planned the next time.

Anyone remember CHAKA ?

Would be sweet to see TIKI STYLE all over the world!!!

I like it. Great detail on the bamboo font.

Good stuff. I like the illustration and technique of it. It is very vibrant and colorful too.

Excellent mural work.

E

Outdoors, spray paint and a tag make it graffitti to me. I have a friend on MySpace that does graffitti and he has a blog full of graffitti definitions and more. If you want a link, let me know.

R

Didn't want to start a new thread so used the old search function and thought I would just add to this thread. The mural below is in Richmond VA, I don't know anything about the artist or any details. It is on the backside of a company that does custom manufactoring work (I think). I have been driving past this for a year now and meaning to share. It is on the way to a local microbrewery I spend way too much time at. Forgive the quality, light was not great and I was coming back from the brewery with a few fine hefewiezens in me.

Full Mural-VA is in full spring so plants are beginning to overtake it already. As you can see it is unfinished since only one flower in the ALOHA is filled in.

Close up #1

Close up #2 (Lower left corner)

Close up #3 (I assume the artist name is Garren)

On 2007-05-20 17:11, rwhgeek wrote:
Didn't want to start a new thread so used the old search function and thought I would just add to this thread. The mural below is in Richmond VA, I don't know anything about the artist or any details. It is on the backside of a company that does custom manufactoring work (I think). I have been driving past this for a year now and meaning to share. It is on the way to a local microbrewery I spend way too much time at. Forgive the quality, light was not great and I was coming back from the brewery with a few fine hefewiezens in me.

Full Mural-VA is in full spring so plants are beginning to overtake it already. As you can see it is unfinished since only one flower in the ALOHA is filled in.

Close up #1

Close up #2 (Lower left corner)

Close up #3 (I assume the artist name is Garren)

Just found this thread again. Thanks a lot for sharing. That´s a great looking mural.

They are both just wonderful. I think if Graffiti Artists would be allowed to decorate our freeway walls and overpasses, the world would be delightfully brighter place. I hate the ugly tags...boo hiss to those. Thumbs up to tropical decorum dotted with tikis. :)

HJ

Good to know tiki is alive and well in the northeast. Have fun.

Pages: 1 17 replies