Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Comics! - New Tiki Comic Book Idea -July 30

Pages: 1 15 replies

"Three Wooden Tikis" is posted:
http://www.toontoonz.com/cartoons/3tikis.html

[ Edited by: ToonToonz 2006-07-30 09:46 ]

L

dang, that background looks familiar....

New Tiki Toonz!
This one featuring my characters Fred and Frank
in a cartoon called "The Tiki Collector".

"The Tiki Collector"

[ Edited by: ToonToonz 2006-06-24 05:37 ]

Good stuff Toonz2. I like um! Looking forward to the next ones you come up with! I can always appreciate a good chuckle and a funny picture.

Chongolio

B

2, Too Cool Toonz. I really love the Termite story being a wood carver it strikes a fearful funny nerve. For the collector you NAiled it. Looking forward to many more!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jun 25, 2006 10:45 AM

Funny pictures. GROG like, alot.

You should contact Nick Camara at Tiki Magazine.
[email protected]

I'm an animator, not a comic artist, but Nick was nice enough
to let me do the Bamboo Ben comic. The magazine only comes
out 4 times a year, so the deadline isn't TOO hectic (although
I usually bash mine out at the last minute since the work
at my animation job really IS hectic-----plus I procrastinate).

Good stuff----looking forward to seeing more.

GROG(Ernie)

Chongolio - Thanks for the comment. I have a few more Tiki cartoon ideas sitting around that if I find the time I will try to put them together.

Benzart - I have a few old wooden pieces that seem to have termites or something in them - there is always little micro piles of wood dust around them. A potential possible cartoon idea....cracks in the wood!

GROG - Thanks for the tip and compliments!

I had a couple of questions regarding the cartoon creating process, so thought I would answer them here.
The cartoons are drawn in my computer.
I come up with the cartoon ideas while doodling in my sketch books.
Here is the scanned-in page from my sketch book of the original idea for the first cartoon above titled "Three Wooded Tikis":

Hey ToonToonz!
Love your work! Simple and direct and clever! Plus just lookin at them makes me smile!Thanks for sharing your sketchbook/thought process as well! Gret work man!

lost little tiki - thanks for the comments!

I posted a new cartoon today - you can view it here:
http://toontoonz.com/cartoons/details.html

I will see if I have the initial idea sketch of this one to post it.

[ Edited by: ToonToonz 2006-07-10 06:45 ]

You are Toonz funny !!!!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jul 10, 2006 3:26 PM

On 2006-06-27 03:38, ToonToonz wrote:

I have a few old wooden pieces that seem to have termites or something in them - there is always little micro piles of wood dust around them.

Dinapate wrightii is a possibilty if they are palm. These are beetles that bore into the wood, mate, lay eggs and leave. The larve hatch as many as a few years later and then start to try to find their way out of the log. This is what causes the dust. They could have been in there long before it was carved. They are very active in the mid to late summer. If it's not palm, I do not know, because these bugs are specific to palm. It might be something just like them though, but specific to your type of wood. Hope this answers part of the riddle
Buzzy

In the General Forum section there is a topic about Tiki possibly losing its popularity...
thought this deserved some cartoons...

Over the last few months I have been sketching out some ideas for Tiki comics that I hope to one day find time to actually complete. They will be in the vein of "what if Tikis were in other situations or events"?
I will post a few of the rough ideas here.
The first one: "Texas Tiki" The intial sketch cover idea:

Click on the graphic above to see a much larger view.

Pages: 1 15 replies