Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Sugar free Tiki drinks

Pages: 1 10 replies

I'm a type II diabetic, so sugary juices and syrups are something I avoid in general. Consequently, I'm not exactly what you'd call a Tiki Drink expert. It's been a struggle to curb the beer habit, and while I love good whiskey on the rocks, hell, any liquor on the rocks really, perhaps I love it a little too much and too quickly and that can make for a very short party night and a very long day after.

In experimenting the other day with stuff I had on hand, I mixed the following:

Ice
1 part Rum, probably too much, I used cheap white
1 part Lemon and lime juice mixed in about equal proportions
2 parts (? didn't measure) Crystal Light lemonade
1 part (maybe a little less, call it a splash?) diet Sprite

The only ingredient with carbs is the juice, and my guess is that this concoction delivers about 6-8 grams of carbs, and it tastes damn good (assuming you're down with the whole diet drink thing, which I have been for years).

Since I don't know a lot about mixed drinks, I don't know what you'd call this if you made it with real ingredients. However, it has inspired me to try my hand at adapting some of the other Tiki Drink recipes I see here for low carb consumption.

Anyone have any good ideas for low carb Tiki drinks?

[ Edited by: Rev. Griz 2006-06-22 11:06 ]

Greetings Rev. Griz,

Thanks so much for posting this. I'm always in search of sugar alternatives as well. Borderline girl here. I'm gonna try this on Friday. Thanks!!

That sounds like a cool tiki drink to me!

I am also a Type 2 Diabetic and as a result have had to reduce my Tiki Drink consumption significantly. One drink that I absolutely REFUSE to give up is my Original Trader Vic's Mai Tai! However, concessions had to be made as follows:
I use Torani Suger Free Orgeat which is available online from many sources.
I make my own 'simple syrup' (Rock Candy Syrup) using Splenda which measures ounce-for-ounce like real sugar. After allowing it to cool, I store it in the fridge in a squeeze bottle. I suppose you could use the sweetener of your preferance providing it stands up to the heating process needed to make the syrup.

You may have to adjust the amount of simple syrup you actually use (probably downward) as the steeteners taste 'sweeter' than real sugar.

Other than these two ingredients, I make no further changes in the recipe. If you trust yourself to be moderate in your consumption of Mai Tais, you can go the "50/50" route: Use Torani's regular Orgeat . . . but your own sugar-free simple syrup.

I'm not a doctor (although I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last week), but this works for me and my A1c's have been just fine.

GH

RG

On 2006-06-23 07:23, GentleHangman wrote:
I am also a Type 2 Diabetic and as a result have had to reduce my Tiki Drink consumption significantly. One drink that I absolutely REFUSE to give up is my Original Trader Vic's Mai Tai! However, concessions had to be made as follows:
I use Torani Suger Free Orgeat which is available online from many sources.
I make my own 'simple syrup' (Rock Candy Syrup) using Splenda which measures ounce-for-ounce like real sugar. After allowing it to cool, I store it in the fridge in a squeeze bottle. I suppose you could use the sweetener of your preferance providing it stands up to the heating process needed to make the syrup.

You may have to adjust the amount of simple syrup you actually use (probably downward) as the steeteners taste 'sweeter' than real sugar.

Other than these two ingredients, I make no further changes in the recipe. If you trust yourself to be moderate in your consumption of Mai Tais, you can go the "50/50" route: Use Torani's regular Orgeat . . . but your own sugar-free simple syrup.

I'm not a doctor (although I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last week), but this works for me and my A1c's have been just fine.

GH

Cool, thanks for the tip! Splenda is bitchen, I love that stuff. I didn't know there was sugar-free orgeat. According to what I'm finding, lime juice is about 2.5g of carb per oz, and the curacao is about 7g per oz. Using the TV recipe posted in the "Best Mai Tai" thread with 1 1/2 oz. lime and a 1/2 oz. curacao, that yields about 7-8g carb per drink. That's not bad!

It'd be interesting to see what other flavorings are out there sugar-free. I'm going to do some further experimentation this weekend. I think I'll try some Sailor Jerry for added flavor. I see good things about it here on the boards.

Rev. Griz
Dissolute Missionary, Church of Jim Beam Orthodox
Spreading good news by the bottle in the jungles of Utah

[ Edited by: Rev. Griz 2006-06-23 08:12 ]

I almost forgot - well actually I did forget - but I'm making up for it now!

When you make your Splendifirous Rock Candy Syrup . . . add a drop or two of pure vanilla extract to it - that will make it taste more like TV's version. Not enough to make it vanilla syrup - just enough to notice a slight difference. I make about 16 ounces of it at a time and add about three good 'drops' of vanilla to that mixture.

One source to get the sugar-free Orgeat is : http://www.marlowescoffee.com

GH

Found a little info on sugar-free syrups on the Low Cal Tiki Drinks? thread.

D

there are 51 sugar free syrups by DaVinci ~ if you have a Smart & Final or Cash & Carry (restaurant supply stores) these are inexpensive and taste very good!

My wife has some Splendra in our kitchen, it says it measures, cooks and tastes like sugar.

I bet you could make some symple syrup using Splenra and mix with it no problem.

TW

Thank you for these recipes. Though I'm not diabetic, I try to watch my sugar as much as I can. I can't wait to try these recipes,

I've made my own "Rock Candy Syrup" using Splenda and a 'hint' of vanilla. Since Splenda can be used in identical measurements (measure-for-measure) as sugar and holds up to the high heat needed to fully dissolve, it makes a tolerable syrup. Not as good as my real Demera Cane Sugar syrup . . . but it will have to do. When I'm in a particularly 'bad-boy' mood, I'll go 50-50 with the Splenda Syrup and the Demera Syrup. Bear in mind, you're only using about 1 1/2 tsp. per drink - just don't go overboard and you'll be fine. Combined with the various sugar-free syrups available, you can concoct pretty damn good Tiki Drinks!

GH

Pages: 1 10 replies