Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

whats in a Trader Vics Samoan Fogcutter?

Pages: 1 7 replies

So I've had a few of dems
I know there is gin, OJ, proably brandy and ????

Any ideas of the full reciepe - For the true Trader Vics Samoan Fogcutter? - I still don't have that book.

They are tasty and I don't even like Gin - but they are sneaky too!

Samoan Fog Cutter
from Trader Vic's Bartenders Guide

1/2 oz Orgeat syrup
2 oz Lemon juice
1 oz Orange juice
1/2 oz Gin
1/2 oz Brandy
1.5 oz Puerto Rican light rum
1/4 oz Sweet sherry

Blend all of the above except sherry in a electric blender with 1 scoop of shaved ice. Pour into a fog cutter mug. Add ice cubes, float the sherry. Garnish with fresh mint and a stirrer.

A

The Trader Vic's Atlanta web site shows the recipe to have 1 oz brandy:

http://www.tradervicsatlanta.com/index.cfm/action/showpage/page/drinks.htm

M

one oz of brandy is wrong. .5 oz.

TV Atlanta has been know to go pretty far off course on recipes. They sent people down there to straighten out their recipes about a year ago.

The old formula for the Fog Cutter is 2 oz lemon/1 oz orange. This has been flipped in later years to 1 oz lemon/2 oz orange. Try it both ways. I think 2 oz lemon is far too dry. Tastes have changed over the years.

A

Seems strange that a year after someone from TV HQ came down to kick some butt over recipe tampering that the Atlanta location is still taking liberties.

Then again, has anyone tried it with a full ounce? Maybe it's better.

M

more likely that no one has updated or looked at the website.

J

According the 1972 TV Bartender's guide The Fog Cutter has 1 oz of brandy and 2 ounces light rum. The Samoan Fog cutter has .5 oz of brandy and 1.5 oz light rum. This may account for the confusion. Otherwise the drinks are the same.

Actually, it seems to be pretty much the same as a Scorpion... except for the sherry float. Maybe not the same measurements, but the same ingredients. I love a nice big Scorpion bowl with some Chinese food, so I'll have to try the Fog Cutter tonight!

-T.J.

Pages: 1 7 replies