Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

mission tiki the carvings are coming !

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

Getting things going at the Drive In and thought I would post some pics for y'all

before shot of the marquee garden

Cleared out the old plants and brought in some nice soil to creat some "islands"

After with a few details to post later.

Now for the Easter Isle Garden

Cleared out some trees and dug some holes

Planted some tropical plants and dropped in a Moai or three.

The moais have been coated with a first coat of stucco . I'll post the final coat of black lava rock finish later.

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2006-12-28 07:54 ]

TP

Looking good, you should start a post on building those Giant moais.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 26, 2006 11:39 PM

Moai good.

GROG like.

GROG look forward to seeing finished drive-in.

GROG

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-06-26 23:41 ]

T

I would be interested in how you made those Moai. I made mine over the weeked seven feet, with 1/4 wire cloth and morter. I put in a lot of time in with the wire (more than nessisary) and the the mortar is also a long procress taking many hours. The problem is that it doesn't stick too great, so I have to lay it down, which I came up with.

I know Bosko does these and I thought a first it was his. You , Bosko and I like doing the same thing, its just that you two are known and making some money. I saw you in Chi-town, take care.

I carved these guys up with a cheapy chainsaw from Lowes ($40) and a block of EPS foam. I just carved it out and finessed (sp?) it with a hand rasp. Coated them with FOAMTEK and finished it off with some colored stucco.

B

Typical, Excellent work from thechikitiki.

beautiful work, danny. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. Those Moai are INSANE.

Is that your old Ford pu in the background?

-edit- on closer inspection ('cause I'm an old truck nerd) that moai's in the bed of the pu! If it's your truck, I bet you got some great expressions from passing motorists!

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-06-28 17:50 ]

Thanks Ben and Jim for the props. the truck is my 71 ford and yes, people were looking at us while transporting these through the LA traffic. Our funniest tiki transporting adventure was driving the 12 foot moai to Vegas at 100 mph with like 5 feet of moai sticking out the back. People were looking at us like we were from Mars. I like to see the kids reaction , they are the best.

almost done

Hell yeah!!!

oh! that's fantastic!

Very Kool .

Love the buried moai. Those look GREAT. You have a great eye for the fine details. Lookin' forward to the opening

Whoa! Land of the Giants!!!

SsweeetT Diablo! and that bit about the speeding moai through the desert:

"funniest tiki transporting adventure was driving the 12 foot moai to Vegas at 100 mph with like 5 feet of moai sticking out the back."

Dang near wet my pants rolling on that one, brah!!! HoooHaaaa! That's some Hunter S. Thompson, 'Dr. Gonzo' imagery at it's finest!!!

Thanks for the pic's and what Class A craftsmanship you are creating for the Mission Drive-in...Class-Tiki!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

R

TD,

Awesome stuff man! I wish we had things like that back East here. Oh well, I'll see you on Catikilina next month.

Matt

now that is some pretty cool stuff! i like it alot. keep em comming

hi diablo its just awesome work and the buried moai looks great

B

Hey Chikitiki, this job is bringing something out from Deep in your halls of Easter Island design... Maybe your great, great, ggreat, great,great grandpappy was a moai and he was prolly so good they turned him to stone and made him a Moai god. You never know when these things are just gonna show up and effect the rest of your life from No until forever! So There. Awesome Job, Maing. Only ting I can say is youse might be slackin off a bit hoping noone would notice- - - I Seee. Pick it up a beat and get it done already,Inquiring minds wanna know how it comes together.
HappyHappy
And More Happy

You know, if you want to be authentically Rapa-Nui, you really need headstones and eye coverings for those Moai.

LM

Nice finish on the Moai, TD.
An alternative to Foamtek is Dryvit. They use this on all the the mall facades across the country and on some theming and movie prop fabrication as well.. This might be something a little more readily available for others to locate if they wish to give foam a try. Warning! Foam is fun, but it is static charged and sticks to everything when you sculpt with it eh, Diablo? Just curious about the density of the foam you were using 1.5lb or 2lb?
Keep up the good work.

[ Edited by: loco moke 2006-07-06 06:42 ]

SF

Looks awsome Danny, I can't wait to see it in person.

On 2006-07-05 19:08, Benzart wrote:
Hey Chikitiki, this job is bringing something out from Deep in your halls of Easter Island design... Maybe your great, great, ggreat, great,great grandpappy was a moai and he was prolly so good they turned him to stone and made him a Moai god. You never know when these things are just gonna show up and effect the rest of your life from No until forever! So There. Awesome Job, Maing. Only ting I can say is youse might be slackin off a bit hoping noone would notice- - - I Seee. Pick it up a beat and get it done already,Inquiring minds wanna know how it comes together.
HappyHappy
And More Happy

Hey Ben, Yeah I have always been drawn to these moai types, I seem to have a Moai-ish nose on me as well. I am going all out now with the theatre so it looks a lil mo tiki for the event, but don't want to rush and lose quality. The inside of the snack bar decor was done in a three day thrash, but is not the final product. It still is going to bug me until I re-do it in a proper fashion.

The foam is messy stuff as Bosko warned me about. I used 1.5lb foam on these moai .

Doug, finally got some tikis in there for ya.

Now off to the theatre!

To Ben I will always be THECHIKITIKI! We have it like that!

Light post signs before final manilla rope detail added.

Added some shields and fabbed up two orange and white illuminated signs ("refreshments") for the snack bar.
The planters were added as well as some additional support columns and faux metal bamboo railings.

I will carve up some masks and hang them on the bamboo panels above the planters. Also designing the lighting for the focal points and elsewhere. Yes, it is all in the lighting!

Post more updates later.

M-F 9to5 PST
(310)973-0779

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2006-09-24 10:28 ]

Loook'n SsweeetT D'!!! I wish I lived closer to do all my movies from da drive-in...can't wait to see the masks on shields! NICE!!!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Looking great Danny!

Nice work! Love the shields and the signs. Takes the place back to the original days of the drive-ins.

See you in a couple weeks on the sands of Fort Lauderdale!

latest stuff

Mission tiki looks amazing - I love the contrast of colors with the dark wood. I still need to make it out there and check it out in person.

Face down tiki

Another biggie. BOT on forehead for scale. These guys are going to sit on a lava rock base and cover a structural pole outside of the snack bar. One more monster to carve today.

Hell ya Danny. Love him. The whole place is tight. What a great canvas for you to work magic on.

I'm trying to wrangle a log that size to drop into Foundation Tiki Bar here in Brew Town. We've had so much rain this December that getting to the log dump is nearly impossible with all the mud.

Pine or palm? How are you moving it? Wrestling it around the room? Sometimes that's the easiest.

Looking forward to seeing him standing!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-12-28 09:58 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Dec 28, 2006 2:40 PM

Cool thread, and those moai are awesome :)

Cool!

Yo!! Tiki D, How do I get my hands on one of your new Marq head mugs??? Maholla Back! fBalls

B

danny, I Love your new stuff and that Buried Moai is Cheating, but the effect is Awesome! Really nice to see so much stuff posted from you MORE, More more...

Dave, These guys are palm and heavy! Von Tiki and tiki tony helped me load them in my truck . It is one of them 70's beast f250 trucks that laugh at heavy loads, but this load made it actually sit level instead of tail high. I have never seen it do that before, and it has been loaded.

We are just using rollers and it's own weight to move'em around. They are about 20" in diameter at the tops.

The project is really starting to come together now with all of the layering of features and I am excited that the carvings are actually getting done now. I still really love to just sit and carve palm tikis! I think when these guys are up and I redo the inside of the snack bar, we should have a re-dedication movie night/ceremony!

Thanks Ben and folks,

D

S

Bigger! Bigger!

But where's his buto?

Bump!

Ok Danny, stop holding out on us. Let's see that Marq!

DEE-AH-BLOW!

Bring it!

Consider it brought'en

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2007-02-01 00:05 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 12:39 AM

AWESOME!!

Those tikis are SMOKIN' red hot pokers D', Pele is pleased! :tiki:

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 5:09 AM

Yeah, what he said

teaKEY(1601)

Wow....very nice work...love the moais and the restroom signs. :tiki:

F

Danny, those pillars are great and I love the restroom signs too.

T

Awesome. I gotta get my keyster back over to Mission Tiki.
Thanks for sharing the pics.

Damn bruddah. :) One hell of a portfolio piece you've got going there at Mission Tiki.

What I wouldn't do for a canvas like that to create on.

Thanks for the update!

S
squid posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 5:46 PM

Holy Crap-oly Man! Do you ever sleep? Is there anything you can't do?
Most beeeeeeutious, Danny!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 6:17 PM

Signs are sweet :)

Pages: 1 2 56 replies