Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Crushed Can Art - New One August 5

Pages: 1 7 replies

Thought you all might want to see one of my Crushed Can Art creations.
I have been making and selling these for many years now. Here is one with a Tiki theme.

The art is made by crushing a soda or beer can then painting with acrylic paints. All hand painted directly on the can - no prints glued on. After that I frame the can art behind glass in a wooden frame.

You can a few more samples of my Crushed Can Art here:
Crushed Can Art

[ Edited by: ToonToonz 2006-08-05 06:39 ]

T

good way to recycle, but here in Michigan our cans are worth ten cents.

My art sells for a little more than that...
:)

Toontoonz!
What a great idea! Taking old junk or something about to be thrown away. and transforming it like you do is pure genius of resource! Plus, they look great! Kudos to Yudos!

Found another photo of a Tiki guy handpainted on a crushed can (Coca-Cola) secured safely in a white wooden frame:

T

Drank me some more soda pop so I made a few more works of art on crushed cans.
This is a "Yellow Bird of Paradise in the Jungle".
Handcrushed (actually I drove over it with my car then banged on it with a hammer for a while) and handpainted by me.
Signed "CK06" in bottom right corner.
(The frame it is mounted in has glass.)

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Aug 5, 2006 10:37 AM

Toonz,

That is so freaking nutz! I love it. I love the art that I have seen folks in the Caribbean Islands make with old oil drums and scrap metal...but this is fantastic. Wow!

-Gman

T

GMAN - Thanks for the comments!
Using a crushed can as a "canvas" is a fun challenge. Since every can flattens differently, the shape of the "canvas" is different on each one. So not only is the painting a one-of-a-kind work of art, but so is the material it is painted on.

I set up a little blog a while back with more samples of my art on crushed cans.
http://crushedcanart.blogspot.com/

Pages: 1 7 replies