Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Key Lime Pie Martini

Pages: 1 9 replies

T

1 or 2 shots Vanilla Vodka (I've been using Absolut)
1 shot Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice (Thank God I found a use for this stuff)
Lots of Whipped Cream (Reddi-wip)

Combine Vodka and Lime Juice in Shaker
Depending on the size of the shaker, try and get in a lot of whipped cream. For small shakers, I try to compact it and fill to the top. Using a Tiki Shaker from Tiki Farm, the whipped cream goes about 2/3 to the top, loosely packed. I mean it, lots of whipped cream. The ReddiWhip stuff in the red can works just fine. I've been using grocery store brand.

Some notes: my wife thinks 2 shots is too strong, so when I make them for her, she gets one shot. I like two. Important to shake a LOT, otherwise vodka and whipped cream don't mix enough.
A small amount of simple syrup can help to sweeten if you don't put in enough whipped cream.
Properly made, it should look milky, but just slightly green from the lime juice. Two shots of vodka will make it less thick, depending on your texture preferences.

While not strictly tiki, this is a pretty cool drink, and it tastes good! For the martini purists, this thing is mur-ky, so be warned.
It's also perfect to serve in a tikifarm tiki martini glass, which helps to improve it's tiki compatibility.

The recipe above is a slight improv on the recipe used by Mr. Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge in San Diego. Enjoy!

G

Sounds like I'd need to visit the dentist after drinking that.

K

As I have mentioned before with regard to home invented drinks that call for shooting whipped cream into a shaker.. might I suggest using the old bar stand-by: cream

Heavy cream, whipping cream (my preference), half and half will even do.

There's no need to buy gassed up whipping cream only to shake the gas out of it (unless you just want to inhale the excess nitrous oxide). Regular cream will give you the dairy aspect you are looking for without the hassle of trying to jam foam into a shaker. And the big plus is that it is usually richer in flavor and it creates a better mouth feel in the drink.

Yes, it is less sweet. You will never notice the difference. You will notice that the over all drink tastes richer and more natural.

And it is handy to keep around for use in any drink that you want to make look translucent (a few drops will usually do it), old recipes that call for it, invented recipes that need a creamy component (like yours above), and for the post luau coffee.

Extra bonus: it is cheap and comes in very small containers, and can be frozen and thawed later.

Just a humble suggestion.

Ahu

K

Oh, and.. once frozen, thawed whipping cream does not whip well. So if you are using it for anything other than the bar, maybe stick to the fridge as opposed to the freezer.

Ahu

T

On 2006-06-29 08:45, KuKuAhu wrote:

Just a humble suggestion.

And not a bad one. It would definitely be worth trying with normal cream, as you've suggested. I only used whipped cream because that's what the bartenders were using in the bar. As I said, this isn't exactly "my" recipe.
The bartender told me they use some pineapple juice too, but I haven't been able to duplicate the flavor of the drink with pineapple juice, so I stopped using it.

K

Oh, I see... I was under the impression that this was your recipe.

Well, at any rate, I think you'll find real cream works better and makes a better drink.

I'm actually not surprised that a pro bartender is shooting whipped cream into a shaker. I've seen too many working bartenders that don't know a Boston from a bullet.

I think dropping the pineapple juice on your part was wise. I can't see where it would be needed.

Ahu

[ Edited by: KuKuAhu 2006-06-30 16:13 ]

T

On 2006-06-30 16:13, KuKuAhu wrote:

I think dropping the pineapple juice on your part was wise. I can't see where it would be needed.

Ahu
[ Edited by: KuKuAhu 2006-06-30 16:13 ]

Yep. It was bad. The drink tastes perfect without it, though I usually use a little ice in the shaker, too. Mostly for mass to get things moving around once I start shaking.
This actually reminded me of the chocolate cake shots that were (maybe still are) popular a few years ago. Sort of a weird concoction that winds up not tasting like the sum of its parts.
Of course, I feel that way about Gin and Tonic too. It must be like multiplying negative numbers together. Mix multiple gross things together, and you get a great drink.

Hi Josh,
This is a standard drink at the hotel I bartend for.
Take some crushed graham crackers and mix it in with some brown sugar into a bowl, and you have a great garnish rim for the glass.

T

On 2006-07-08 10:21, Unga Bunga wrote:
Take some crushed graham crackers and mix it in with some brown sugar into a bowl, and you have a great garnish rim for the glass.

Great idea! I'm buying graham crackers at the store this week!

I make mine with Vodka, Ke Ke Beach key lime liqeur, Half and Half and a squeeze of lime juice.
OH and the the Grahm Cracker Rim is a must.
The odd thing is that ke ke comes from the Netherlands of all places.
http://www.kekebeach.com/product.php

Pages: 1 9 replies