Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 7

Pages: 1 2 94 replies

W
Wolli posted on Wed, Jun 28, 2006 3:44 PM

Any information for 2007 out now?
the date and place would be very interesting, because I have to start searching for cheap flights to the US.

I know it's a little bit early !

Mahalo,
Wolli

Never too early to start planning. I see Oasis is planned for the weekend of August 16-19, 2007 at the Hanlei http://blog.humuhumu.com/2006/09/02/san-diego-tiki-oasis-2007

I am looking forward to attending my first Oasis in 2007 (I like the sound of that....007). :)

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.

JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2006-12-01 05:57 ]

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2006-12-01 06:05 ]

http://www.tikioasis.com/ Lots of info out Wolli, so hopefully you can book a flight now. :)

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Dec 1, 2006 7:57 AM

This may very well be the year I make it to Oasis. That'll be nice. I've never been further west that Iowa.

California: The birthplace of Tiki.

MN

Here is the ad in TikiMag.

You will surely be addicted to California once you come....and San Diego is one of the best places to visit. I am hoping the Hanalei has kept the good tiki spirit. I remember it in its heyday...it was tropofabulous!!!

There are some really great antique/collectable stores in Ocean Beach on Newport Ave. We otta get a gang together and head out to shop and then convene at the South Beach Bar and Grill right by the Ocean Beach pier. Drinks and food are fair, but the view is great. That is if we aren't already broke from Oasis....LOL
http://www.eyeonob.com/shops.asp

On 2006-12-01 09:30, VampiressRN wrote:
I am hoping the Hanalei has kept the good tiki spirit. I remember it in its heyday...it was tropofabulous!!!

I seem to be the bearer of bad news of late...

Is the Islands Restaurant/Hanalei Hotel being gutted?

Yes....I had read that thread...thanks for the link. So sad to see some of the most historical bars in San Diego are getting "remodeled" now that we are all ready to hang out in them again. If the Bali Hai ever bites the dust....we know it will be the end of Tiki in San Diego. The lava waterfall was so kewl at the Hanalei and the cute little stage...just the right size for jamming, while the revelers sucked down umbrelled fruit concoctions.

On 2006-12-01 09:30, VampiressRN wrote:
You will surely be addicted to California once you come....and San Diego is one of the best places to visit. I am hoping the Hanalei has kept the good tiki spirit. I remember it in its heyday...it was tropofabulous!!!

There are some really great antique/collectable stores in Ocean Beach on Newport Ave. We otta get a gang together and head out to shop and then convene at the South Beach Bar and Grill right by the Ocean Beach pier. Drinks and food are fair, but the view is great. That is if we aren't already broke from Oasis....LOL
http://www.eyeonob.com/shops.asp

Hmmm, it sounds like it might be time to make a Shopping version of the "San Diego Area (mostly vintage) Bars and Restaurants" thread...

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 10:49 AM

OK Folks, sorry for the lack of information regarding Tiki Oasis. It has been a nightmare trying to launch the Tiki Oasis website so I am going to give you almost all of the info that is to be placed onto the site (this month) so you can plan in advance. Please do not barrage me with questions as most of them will be answered once the site is up and running. There will be room descriptions, a map, etc. I am working on putting together packages that will make booking easier and a bit cheaper. A couple packages are listed below and there might be other ones that include T-shirts, glassware, mug (ie TO7 swag) but for now this is all I can provide. The below info will help you budget. Special note: Saturday shopping bazaar will be open ONLY to hotel guests with Sunday open to the general public. If you want to shop on Saturday book into the Hanalei Hotel.

The original Tiki weekender is back! Now in its 7th installment, it all happens this summer in San Diego, California August 16-19, 2007! LA’s premiere Exotica band – The Blue Hawaiians headline! Tikiphiles will also be treated to the triumphant return of the only Tiki-a-Go-Go band - The Tiki Tones. Top Go Go music DJs in the country spin records for an outdoor dance party under the palm trees. Come and enjoy three nights and three days of Tiki-a-Go-Go fun in the sun!
Kick off the weekend on Thursday with a pre-party at the historic Bali Hai restaurant on Shelter Island with early evening entertainment by The Martini Kings. Spend Friday at the Hanalei Tiki lagoon and pool party, in the evening join the party by the pool with a full night of live entertainment. Go go go all day and all night Saturday at the Hanalei hotel with special daytime activities and all night dance party. Chill out on Saturday & Sunday shopping in our poolside bazaar featuring over forty vendors or catch an educational seminar with Beachbum Berry, Bosko, Sven Kirsten, Domenic Priore, or Otto von Stroheim.

Tiki Oasis 7 is pleased to offer the following discounted group rates.
All booking must include Friday and Saturday night stay as well as tickets to Friday and Saturday night events
Additional days before or after Oasis are offered at a discounted rate of $145 per night for all Standard Rooms (non-suites) for the following dates August 15, 16, 19, 20.

Room Rates

Party in style with the All Weekend Long package. Stay four nights and get a FREE Tiki Oasis 7 Munktiki mug! Your choice of nights (must include Friday and Saturday) plus two tickets for Friday and Saturday for only $680. Additional nights can be added for $145 per night. Offer ends March 15, 2007.

All Weekend Long single package. Stay four nights and get a FREE Tiki Oasis 7 Munktiki mug! Your choice of nights (must include Friday and Saturday) plus ONE ticket for Friday and Saturday for only $640. Offer ends March 15, 2007.

Discount Booking rate $155 (Discounted rate ends at midnight March 15)
All regular rooms - Superior King, Queen, Double; Smoking, non-smoking;

Standard booking rate $165 (After March 15)

Tower Suites $385
Two-Room Tower Suites $549
Lanai Suite $365 (picture is listed as Suite 1 on Hanalei site)
Two-Room Lanai Suite $499

Friday & Saturday tickets $40

Friday only ticket $18

Saturday only ticket $25

Tiki Oasis 7 mug $50 (until March 15)

Beachbum Berry seminar - Seminar admissions TBD

Sven Kirsten seminar - Seminar admissions TBD

Bosko seminar - Seminar admissions Free

Domenic Priore seminar - Seminar admissions Free

Sunday – Otto von Stroheim – Tiki Art Now! Presentation admissions Free

Don’t miss out on your chance to own The Tiki Oasis 7 limited edition mug.
The mug is based on the Tiki Oasis 7 logo designed by world famous artist Derek Yaniger and crafted by the masters of collectible-quality mugs – Munktiki. Production is limited to 300 in special Go-Go glaze. Limit two mugs per customer.
Pre-order before March 15 and avoid waiting in line or missing out altogether!
We will not ship these mugs. You must pick them up at the event.

[ Edited by: Otto 2007-01-04 10:51 ]

H

On 2007-01-04 10:49, Otto wrote:
Limit two mugs per customer

After the complaints from last year, why on earth are you making this 'two mugs per customer'...?

Have you no ears?

Otto,
To clarify the All Weekend Long package (for two)... Includes: Regular hotel room for 4 nights, 1 mug, and 2 tickets to Friday's event AND 2 tickets for Saturday's event? You stated "2 tickets for Friday and Saturday" and want to be sure we all understand.

Thanks!

• Myke

How old are you if you didn't know how old you are??

[ Edited by: tikiwinebear 2007-01-04 15:18 ]

MN

OOHHH!! I better get Dr. NoNaMe to read this. I am so confused.

How do I reap the benefits if I only live four miles away? I want a mug, like BAD!

Two mugs per customer? Is a customer someone who buys the package or stands in line and just winds up being disappointed like last time? AAAARRRGHHHH!

"HONEEYYY, read this for me PAALLLEASSE!"

On 2007-01-04 11:02, Hakalugi wrote:

Limit two mugs per customer

After the complaints from last year, why on earth are you making this 'two mugs per customer'...?

Dear Tiki Oasis Attendees:
I was inspired by the lady with the stroller and kids last year that everyone was bitching about:
Based on last years problems, and the secondary sales amounts of the mugs on ebay, I have taken steps months ago to ensure that I will financially gain from this sort of situation at Tiki Oasis 7, should it be conducted like last year. Being a native San Diegan, and former san Diego area school teacher, I have hired 150 of my former inner city school students and friends to stay on call to become "line holders" for me. Prior to Tiki Oasis 7, all my line holders will show up and camp out in line, waiting for the mugs to go on sale. The line holders will NOT be reselling the mugs though, they WILL be selling their places in line to you, the tiki mug collector, for the chance to purchase a mug when they go on sale. Prior to the event, spots 1-50 in line will go for $100 each. Spots 51-100 will be sold for $75, and spots 101-150 will be live auctioned that day, based upon the amount of mugs left after the presale handouts.
All line spots come with no guarantee of actually receiving a mug and are non refundable.
Cash Only!
THIS MAY BE THE ONLY HOPE YOU EVER HAVE OF LAYING YOUR HANDS ON ONE OF THESE MUGS!!!
Act now, before you are bidding for one on ebay, at extremely high prices later on.
Welcome to San Diego and
Enjoy your stay!!

PM me and I will tell you where to send the cash.
Buzzy

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-01-04 16:15 ]

too friggin funny above.
at these prices for rooms, and scarce availability for the mugs.
It seems that they someone is trying to price the average Joe out of going to TO7, and just let in the high rollin tiki philes.

sad sad sad :(
Jeff(bigtikidude)

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 6:57 PM

Big- are you talking about the Free Seminar admissions or the Two-Room Tower Suites for $549. Wish I could go or even get a mug but I'm sure one is just as hard as the other for me at least.

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 9:41 PM

On 2007-01-04 15:17, tikiwinebear wrote:
Otto,
To clarify the All Weekend Long package (for two)... Includes: Regular hotel room for 4 nights, 1 mug, and 2 tickets to Friday's event AND 2 tickets for Saturday's event? You stated "2 tickets for Friday and Saturday" and want to be sure we all understand.

Thanks!

• Myke

How old are you if you didn't know how old you are??

[ Edited by: tikiwinebear 2007-01-04 15:18 ]

that is correct
two tix for fri/sat
two pairs of tickets - each ticket is for Fri/Sat

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 10:04 PM

On 2007-01-04 18:09, bigtikidude wrote:
too friggin funny above.
at these prices for rooms, and scarce availability for the mugs.
It seems that they someone is trying to price the average Joe out of going to TO7, and just let in the high rollin tiki philes.

sad sad sad :(
Jeff(bigtikidude)

I will address the mug issue separately
The rooms are priced at what will prove to be a HUGE discount for that level of hotel and for peak season in San Diego
For instance, try booking at any other Tiki hotel in San Diego and I gaurantee you the price will be double what I am charging at Hanalei

Go look up Catamaran or Humphrey's

In fact, the rates for my weekend will not go up but by the time the event happens I bet you every other hotel on hotel circle is more expensive than the Hanalei, which means I am offering you the hotel rooms at lower than the standard going rate.

Even dumps like the Ramada will be priced at $170+ and Super 8 will be at $150+
You could stay at the divey Motel 6 for $76 but you better book now cause if you wait for 6 months their rate will go up too!

I'm really looking forward to this.

Otto,
Sorry...
I guess your right, I didn't mean to direct it toward you.
I should vent my frustration towards the cost of living/inflation.
even 76 bucks a night for a shithole is alot for me.
Guess I need to rob a bank, or find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Or sleep in a Refrigerator box out behind the Hanelei, or sleeping bag on someones floor.
I'm stoked to hear about the Blue Hawiians, and Tiki Tones.
Is (Lono) going to be playing with them?
hope so.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-01-04 22:17, bigtikidude wrote:
Otto,
Sorry...
I guess your right, I didn't mean to direct it toward you.
I should vent my frustration towards the cost of living/inflation.
even 76 bucks a night for a shithole is alot for me.
Guess I need to rob a bank, or find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Or sleep in a Refrigerator box out behind the Hanelei, or sleeping bag on someones floor.
I'm stoked to hear about the Blue Hawiians, and Tiki Tones.
Is (Lono) going to be playing with them?
hope so.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(BTD) Actually stumbled onto a good point!

Follow me here:
Get a room for 4 nights with 2 passes for both nights and a FREE mug for $680...Then have 2 more people share the room cost of $600 so it's only $300 per couple for 4 nights. That takes the cost of the room down to $75 per night per couple OR $37.50 per night per person. Then the additional 2 people can just pay $40 each for the Fri/Sat event passes and buy their own mug if they want one. So... 1 person could effectually stay at the Hanalei 4 nights AND go to Fri/Sat events for only $190!!!!

One thing Otto....Are the room prices good for up to 4 people per room????

Share a room? If you don't mind and the Mr gettin it on on your floor every other hour....we're IN!

On 2007-01-05 09:50, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
Share a room? If you don't mind and the Mr gettin it on on your floor every other hour....we're IN!

The "Share-A-Room" idea was for those monetarily challenged....I personally don't want to have to watch where I step in my own room in the middle of the night (or during a drunken stupor for that matter!) LOL!!!

Amen to that! If last year's event was any indicator, I would think having to share the porcelain god would be a mite uncomfortable, not to mention what alchohol seems to do to the libido!

I figure if I pay for it all now on a credit card, I should have it paid off way before the actual event. Then I can spend more on the shopping!

Maybe we can have a group car wash, bake sale, dog walking event to raise money for a "scholarship" entry for the under privileged! Kinda like sending inner city kids to camp. Hmmm...maybe I can set it up as a charity with tax benys... any one want to donate? We'll call it the Tiki International Knowlege Institute...or TIKI for short! (See past posting Re: TIKI)

Feel free to submit your application! Get it in before March 1st! You may be chosen to receive a full or partial scholarship to attend Oasis 7!

I am planning on coming down to the event, but won't have the mula for any hotel stays. I have family in the area, so will just be attending the events. I agree in that the hotels will be sold out and even higher-priced since that is prime tourist season in SD. I am looking forward to getting a mug, and other goodies. :)

O
Otto posted on Fri, Jan 5, 2007 11:50 PM

I am not allowed to comment on the room sharing, as it is not in my contract.

Your math is correct - as long as you do not inform the hotel that there will be four guests becuase I'm sure there is a surcharge of some sort

Bring your own towels too! (or borrow a pool towel)

H

On 2007-01-04 16:00, Mr. NoNaMe wrote: Two mugs per customer? Is a customer someone who buys the package or stands in line and just winds up being disappointed like last time?

Unless the OasisVII mug is produced in a much larger quantity this year, the "2 per customer" policy remains terribly flawed. Just ask one of last year's shut-outs if prior knowledge that only 200 mugs exist and over 300 people are waiting inspires generosity and sacrifice in their fellow attendees. I'm afraid the standing policy merely rewards some people's innate feelings of entitlement while insuring others get screwed.

One mug per event ticket would be undeniably more balanced.

The people who are staying at the hotel will obviously have event tickets, and those who can only afford to attend the festivities will have purchased a ticket also. Soooo...If you bear a ticket you can buy a mug. If you and your wife both have event tickets You can go home with two mugs, not four. No lines, no disappointment.

But it's Otto's baby and he can raise him anyway he wants.

*On 2007-01-04 22:04, Otto wrote:*I will address the mug issue separately...

This should be interesting. Best wishes for a for a equitable solution.

T

With a few of mai tais in me, I'm a bit slower than usual, but...

The Tiki Oasis website said online booking will begin in mid-October. I haven't seen any thing to book for the gig, so I presume that information is incorrect? Or is it?!?

Sorry, the rum is making me a bit paranoid...... Roswell! Roswell!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jan 7, 2007 4:41 AM

Um, if Saturday shopping is limited to only people staying at the hotel, then if you have four per room but two are illegals, then only two can shop! Even though all are splitting the room rate. I suppose armbands will be used...

And the way it went last year, my best stuff all went the first day. Uh-oh.

When did stopping people from shopping for goodies become a great idea for either the vendors or the people coming to San Diego?

One day of shopping for the general public? One day? What if people are busy that day? Or more likely, hung over? (Last year, Sunday was hangover day, bud.) Or going home that day? (Who isn't?) Maybe this whole Saturday-ain't-fo-everybody thing should be reconsidered. It just doesn't sound FUN!

ST

I have to agree, at the tikiland booth we sold a lot of stuff sat, sun was just mostly a waste of time, everyone was broke and hungover, Sat I'll bet we had 3000+ people walk down the aisles, sun maybe 2-300 poeple.
If it's only hotel folk on sat, it will take about and hour and then I'm just gonna close and get drunk....

Does purchasing a $40 2-day event pass allow you access to all pool activites at the Hanalei as well as shop on Saturday? (For those who may be staying elswhere...)

On 2007-01-07 04:41, Cammo wrote:
... the way it went last year, my best stuff all went the first day...When did stopping people from shopping for goodies become a great idea for either the vendors or the people coming to San Diego? ...Maybe this whole Saturday-ain't-fo-everybody thing should be reconsidered. It just doesn't sound FUN!

On 2007-01-07 08:05, Stiki Tiki wrote:
... Sat I'll bet we had 3000+ people walk down the aisles, sun maybe 2-300 poeple. If it's only hotel folk on sat, it will take about and hour and then I'm just gonna close...

Let's not forget all the people supporting the tiki community year round who live in San Diego. Looks like we might get punished for sleeping in our own beds.

I don't know what clandestine financial dealings event organizers have with the Hanalei, but a deprivation/reward system designed exclusively to benefit Hotel guests seems like a money making ploy.

What's next? If I may paraphrase that old National Lampoon cover...

If You Don't Stay At The Hanalei We'll Kill This Dog.

What happened to Ape? Will they be playing?????

Hodad, Stiki & Cammo....

Let's give Otto a chance to let us know if buying the $40 2-day pass allows ALL ACCESS...Meaning Bali Hai & Hanalei events including pool activities and vendors BOTH Saturday and Sunday...

The guaranteed mug for ALL who purchase tickets is another issue! Any comments Otto?

Thanks!

H

On 2007-01-07 14:42, SoccerTiki wrote:
Let's give Otto a chance to let us know if buying the $40 2-day pass allows ALL ACCESS...Meaning Bali Hai & Hanalei events including pool activities and vendors BOTH Saturday and Sunday...

Alas SoccerTiki, I wish my criticisms were premature but I believe Otto has made his intentions quite evident in his post of 1/4/07.

Dig the word "ONLY" in all caps...

Special note: Saturday shopping bazaar will be open ONLY to hotel guests with Sunday open to the general public. If you want to shop on Saturday book into the Hanalei Hotel.

I am going to try to refrain from buying too much tiki stuff now....so I can shop at the Oasis. That is quite a feate for a shop-a-holic!!! I am really looking forward to this event. :)

ST

I wasn't serious about closing, I'll be getting paid for running the booth no matter how much sells, it just seems weird to ban outsiders on the biggest shopping day, I for one had such a hangover on sunday and there were so few buyers on sunday, I really should have stayed in bed...
Compare $2200 in sales on Sat. to not quite $500 on Sunday, and had a shoplifter make off with a $70 mask on sunday to top it all off.
Forgive me Otto if I offended...

On 2007-01-07 15:36, hodadhank wrote:

On 2007-01-07 14:42, SoccerTiki wrote:

Alas SoccerTiki, I wish my criticisms were premature but I believe Otto has made his intentions quite evident in his post of 1/4/07.

Dig the word "ONLY" in all caps...

Special note: Saturday shopping bazaar will be open ONLY to hotel guests with Sunday open to the general public. If you want to shop on Saturday book into the Hanalei Hotel.

I guess I missed that "ONLY" part! Here's my BIG question...
2007-01-04 10:49, Otto wrote:
".....The original Tiki weekender is back!... Come and enjoy three nights and three days of Tiki-a-Go-Go fun in the sun!.... Spend Friday at the Hanalei Tiki lagoon and pool party, in the evening join the party by the pool with a full night of live entertainment. Go go go all day and all night Saturday at the Hanalei hotel with special daytime activities and all night dance party. Chill out on Saturday & Sunday shopping in our poolside bazaar featuring over forty vendors or catch an educational seminar with Beachbum Berry, Bosko, Sven Kirsten, Domenic Priore, or Otto von Stroheim."

So, is the $40 2-day event pass NOT good for ALL events???

S

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I'M SOOOOO CONFUSED!!!!!!
I'm sure all these conundrums and questions will be answered and all will work out. It's an amazing logistical feat I'm sure. I must agree though that Saturday should be the "open to the public" day (or both) in order to make it worthwhile to all those vendors who bust ass to make a few bucks. That was my complaint in Palm Springs, that you had to pay to get in and shop with no local shoppers invited. Last year drew a pretty good "public" crowd even with not-so-optimal weather. Why change what seemed to be a good thing for those who come from all over to sell their wares. As a vendor myself I know how much it takes to set up and man the show all weekend (and I'm within driving distance!!!). That's why I will most likely bow out this year, as it doesn't seem to be worth all the effort. Besides, as a brick and mortar store owner I would rather see more "starving" artists and tiki peddlers take home the loot. There was so much cool hand made tiki stuff there and so much I didn;t get to see because of having to hold down the fort. As Baxdog says "When it stops being fun, I'm done" I think I'd rather walk around with a beverage and talk story with the other vendors and BUY rather than sell. Hopefully it will be well publicized (and open to the masses on the big day!!!) Either way I can't wait! C U THEN!!
Aloha nui loa! Wax

S

PS.......... YEAH!!!!! WHAT ABOUT APE?????

On 2007-01-08 19:15, shakatiki wrote:
AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I'M SOOOOO CONFUSED!!!!!!
I'm sure all these conundrums and questions will be answered and all will work out. It's an amazing logistical feat I'm sure. I must agree though that Saturday should be the "open to the public" day (or both) in order to make it worthwhile to all those vendors who bust ass to make a few bucks. That was my complaint in Palm Springs, that you had to pay to get in and shop with no local shoppers invited. Last year drew a pretty good "public" crowd even with not-so-optimal weather. Why change what seemed to be a good thing for those who come from all over to sell their wares. As a vendor myself I know how much it takes to set up and man the show all weekend (and I'm within driving distance!!!). That's why I will most likely bow out this year, as it doesn't seem to be worth all the effort. Besides, as a brick and mortar store owner I would rather see more "starving" artists and tiki peddlers take home the loot. There was so much cool hand made tiki stuff there and so much I didn;t get to see because of having to hold down the fort. As Baxdog says "When it stops being fun, I'm done" I think I'd rather walk around with a beverage and talk story with the other vendors and BUY rather than sell. Hopefully it will be well publicized (and open to the masses on the big day!!!) Either way I can't wait! C U THEN!!
Aloha nui loa! Wax

Ha!

Were you jealous of me last year Wes?? ( lol!!!)

I might "vend" this year just for the Freak of it. It got kinda lonely last year going from room party to room party and just hangin out doin nuttin.

T

I think that Otto will make everything clear as time passes. Organizing an event of this magnitude is quite an undertaking, and I'm sure he's very busy getting on with the details.
I can also imagine that limiting access to certain events "for hotel guests only" is the hotel's way of keeping things from getting too crazy, since they will have other guests staying there. This is probably the hotel's idea, and not Otto's. At least give credit where credit is due. These things are always contracted, and I'm sure the hotel places more restrictions on anything than Otto does.
Hasn't anyone ever booked a wedding reception at a hotel or something? Don't you remember all the crap about "you can only use these catering services, or rent tables from this rental agency. You can't have rice or bubbles, but you can have ...." It never ends.
So how about we stop with the accusations of "clandestine financial arrangements" or whatever. I believe Otto has said several times that he doesn't make money on Tiki Oasis, and if I remember correctly, he's said that it has cost him money on at least a couple occasions (i.e. Tiki Oasis ran in the red). I don't have time to search threads right now, but I'm sure someone remembers reading these same posts. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.
And like everyone else, I'm always worried about getting a mug, but I think we have some encouraging news--
300 mug edition for this year, much more than the 100 available last year. If you're worried about getting one, look at what happened with the Hukilau mugs, with the same edition size. I didn't even go to that, but got Tiki Kiliki's email after the fact and ordered a mug a couple weeks after the event. In fact, she just sent an email out a day or two ago saying they found several more mugs in the warehouse. Three months later and they still have some mugs sitting around. I don't think we're going to have to worry about making sure that everyone gets a mug this year, even if it is going to be two to a customer.
The Missus and I will probably buy a second mug again this year like we did last year. I'll be more than happy to trade it to someone who can't attend.

J

On 2007-01-09 11:47, TikiJosh wrote:
I think that Otto will make everything clear as time passes. Organizing an event of this magnitude is quite an undertaking, and I'm sure he's very busy getting on with the details.
I can also imagine that limiting access to certain events "for hotel guests only" is the hotel's way of keeping things from getting too crazy, since they will have other guests staying there.

Actually, Otto told me a few months ago that he booked the entire hotel for this year's Oasis, so we will not need to worry about the "other guests."

However, considering all the ranting going on here, I think we'll be lucky if Otto doesn't just throw his hands up in the air and tell us all to plan it ourselves. Let's think about just how much work goes into producing this event and give the guy a break. I'm sure Otto will take everything into consideration and come up with what he sees as the most equitable solution for as many people as possible. Let's all be thankful that we have someone like Otto who is willing to put so much effort into producing such a huge, fun event!

H

On 2007-01-09 11:47, TikiJosh wrote:
...how about we stop with the accusations of "clandestine financial arrangements" or whatever... Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

It's unfortunate my vocabulary put you on the defense TJ, not that Otto needs you to defend him to be sure. Let's face it, Otto does more for tiki before breakfast than most of us do all week. FYI, clandestine does not necessarily mean disingenuous. Things clandestine are merely secret, and until event organizers explain their decision making process publicly that is how they shall remain. Until then I believe community members like myself should expect the freedom to question protocol without feeling like we're 'biting the hand that feeds' or begging Otto's forgiveness.

I'm aware that this is a private event and therefor the organizer's prerogative to decide who enters and who doesn't. 'Guest only' access on Saturday is a policy change we may have to live with, but I'm sure you can understand how this may seem an unfavorable arrangement for San Diego's Tiki Community or for that matter, anyone else who chooses for whatever reason not to stay at the Hanalei Hotel.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2007-01-09 13:59 ]

Reading this whole thread I have to say, TO7 so far does not sound like that much fun. Kind of of jumbled up hassle with lots of sour attitudes. Be pissed at me if you want but if you were all face to face with each other would you be so rude. So I and others understand the plan & packages of TO7, how bout we let the one (1) person in charge explain any confusing details to us about the packages & answer all questions. Mahalo

D
dibroc posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 2:19 PM

well said Hip. I asked otto about the Saturday shopping and here is his reply:

"the vending area will be open only to hotel guests on Saturday day and then open to the general public on

Sunday The Tiki Oasis event is really about a community gathering together for an entire weekend and

I've found that staying in the same hotel plays a big part in whether people have a good experience and

feel connected to the event and to each otherIn PS when we had three different hotels and guests were

spread out I got negative feedback that those not staying at the main hotel felt disconnected and left

out To that end I have taken a huge risk this year by guaranting to book the entire Hanalei hotel Preview

shopping is a special privilege to those staying in the hotel I want to give something back to those who

to stay at the hotel am working on other treats to provide for those in the hotel such as goody bags

with limited edition items It is not intended to exclude non-hotel guests but to reward those who have

committed to the full experience I understand that it would not benefit you much to stay at the hotel as

you live nearby. therefore you will be able to buy tickets to the event without staying at the hotel and

still have a good time and partake of room parties and all other activities available to all Tiki Oasis

attendees. Happy New Year! Otto von Stroheimtikioasis.comtikinews.com"

Lot's of interesting posts! I guess I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed 'cause I still don't understand HOW if you can buy a 2-day Tiki Oasis event pass (good for "...Spend Friday at the Hanalei Tiki lagoon and pool party, in the evening join the party by the pool with a full night of live entertainment. Go go go all day and all night Saturday at the Hanalei hotel with special daytime activities and all night dance party. Chill out on Saturday & Sunday shopping in our poolside bazaar featuring over forty vendors...." and NOT be allowed in the "poolside bazaar"???

Otto, this is a question to you. (An open forum answer might resolve some confusion others have.) Thanks a bunch! I also appreciate what you are doing to make T.O.7 a reality....

H

Thanks for sharing your correspondence Dibroc.

I've not heard from Otto since the holidays. There's nothing like getting the facts straight from the horses mouth.

On to entertaimnment ideas...

Yes... APE??? Surely.

Local talent? Sun Devils? Harvey Mendiola Polynesian Review???

Maybe a little Surf/Punk from local boys The Creepy Creeps....

and this guy seems to be trying to figure out something to do in August...
LOL!

Pages: 1 2 94 replies