Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tropical Bar Book Drinks & Stories by Charles Schumann

Pages: 1 6 replies

After a friend gave me Schumann's 'American Bar', I was keen to get this earlier book of his. Originally written in his native, German in 1986 this book gives a most interesting slant on tropical drinks. Not just a recipe book, it's a well-rounded discussion of nearly all aspects of the tropical drink that even includes some stories (drink-related). I say nearly all aspects because, glaringly missing from the book are Donn Beach, the Trader and our pal, Tiki.

The book centers almost entirely on the Caribbean area but TCers shouldn't shun this book for more than anything, it's a serious and respectful look at rum, rum drinks, rum history and mixology. It also contains dozens of classic and original recipes. OK, so maybe his Mai Tai has 1/4 apricot brandy in it--I've drunk alot worse and so have you. There's an in-depth look at how ya make rum. There's a map with what rum comes from where and why that's good. There's a section on what you need to be good bartender. Discussions of mixers and liqueurs and lots a tales about drinkin'.

I picked mine up used from Amazon for an emarrassingly low price. You should get one, mix a Deep Sea Diver, get lit and watch the Red Sox. Anybody know what calvados is?

M
mbanu posted on Thu, Jun 29, 2006 6:12 AM

So is it still in the original German, or can lazy Americans like myself who never learned other languages read it as well? :)

I have a copy of this book, and I loved it. If you have read any enjoyed any of Jimmy Buffetts books you will enjoy it.

I never even realized it was published first in German until I read this thread. I opened my book and it does say in the front "Originally published as Schumann's Tropical Barbuch Copywrite 1989 by Stwart, Tabori & Chang, Inc.

[ Edited by: captnkirk 2006-06-29 06:46 ]

Right, it's in English.

Also get his 'American Bar' which is like a textbook on liquor PLUS a recipe book. Maybe both books are a little preachy but you'll learn plenty.

J

Thanks for the book suggestions Pappy. I need something new to read and it looks like these books are next in the queue.

T

On 2006-06-28 19:24, pappythesailor wrote:
Anybody know what calvados is?

http://www.cocktaildb.com/ingr_detail?id=61
From the Internet Cocktail Database:

Type
Brandy, aged
Description
Generic for French apple brandy with an Armagnac character and highly regulated production/aging methods from the Calvados/Normandy region. Calvados is invariably aged in limousin oak casks, but is surprisingly excellent directly from still to bottle. It is the most respected apple brandy in the world, much as Cognac and Armagnac are the pinnacles of the grape brandy form. Like Cognac, Calvados is normally consumed from a snifter, but nothing short of excellent in cocktails.
Flavor
Armagnac and apple
Availability
Generally available. Produced and sold in France. Known to be distributed in parts of United Kingdom, Europe and North America. Regional. Available for on-line ordering in some markets.
Substitute
other apple brandy

Substitute
other apple brandy

Thanks, Tikisan! Apple brandy I can get.

Pages: 1 6 replies