Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Malibu passion fruit rum drink

Pages: 1 7 replies

J
Jana posted on Tue, Jul 4, 2006 1:08 PM

Hi out there I have just purchased a bottle of passion fruit rum by malibu and wonder if anyone has a punch drink idea for the 4th of July if you know any PLAESE HELP!!!!!
Thanks
Jana

Q

Jana, don't know about this Malibu concoction, but as a general rule, flavored rums (even the spiced kind) are pretty disappointing. If you like passionfruit type drinks, Trader Vics makes an excellent syrup (in my opinion) and there's a very tasty recipe on the bottle that uses gin, passionfruit syrup and lime juice. Oddly enough the stringent quality of the gin and lime juice really cuts the sweetness of the syrup nicely.

It's always best to go with quality rums paired with fresh juices or quality syrups. The flavour will always be more accurate.

Instead of flavoured rum, try a light or amber rum paired with guava nectar, coconut cream, or even grapefruit juice. When you choose quality ingredients the chance of a hangover also diminishes considerably.

Mix smart, mix safe.
Have fun!

On 2006-07-04 13:08, Jana wrote:
Hi out there I have just purchased a bottle of passion fruit rum by malibu and wonder if anyone has a punch drink idea for the 4th of July if you know any PLAESE HELP!!!!!
Thanks
Jana

First, welcome to Tiki Central.

Second, sorry I am seeing your post after the 4th, so you may no longer need help with your drink.

Third, what else do you have to work with? And, what does the Malibu stuff actually taste like? I don't like many of the flavored rums so I generally avoid them. They are not inherently evil, it is just that I prefer to add my own flavors to a good rum and not allow some corporate yahoo try and tell me what i want in my drink made with mediocre rum.

So, having said all of that.... Start with the Malibu and some lime, probably about 2 parts rum to about 1 part lime. Then, add about 2 parts of your favorite flavored something and you are well on your way to inventing a new drink.

Share with us the results!

I just purchased the Malibu "Passionfruit" and "Pineapple" rums. Gonna have to do some shopping at BevMo to find some interesting items to mix up some new cocktails...I'm thinking Martini style concoctions....or who knows what. :)

I'm really tired of the snobbery here. At least Chip & Andy offered advice despite their bias.

If you can't say something other than "Flavored rums are gross, go with something else", don't post.

Furthermore, should you really be posting in a thread asking advice about a product you clearly don't use?

T

{quote}
On 2007-06-01 08:55, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks that Bacardi Select tastes like complete garbage, ESPECIALLY straight?

Point well taken.

Although that's not snobbery on my part, admittedly. I can't stand the stuff. Has nothing to do with the Bacardi name or the commercial nature of the product.

Pages: 1 7 replies