Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Are we going underground again?

Pages: 1 2 52 replies

Lately it feels like it.

I think it depends on where you're at. I've heard a few comments to this effect, but I'm an area where there's really no tiki and the local Ohana are really making an effort to grow and make others more aware.

H

Agreed... it depends a lot on where you're seeing it all from.

Here in the Bay Area, our ranks are pretty darned strong, and Forbidden Island is proof positive that Tiki is alive & well. Portland, Seattle, New England, Denver... these are all areas that are experiencing the same sort of social tiki renaissance that SoCal experienced a few years ago. SoCal itself seems to be shifing a bit, but while a few places have gone out of business, parties like the 'OnaTikis show it's alive & well in its own form. Trader Vic's is opening new places, there's enough tiki out there to support new ventures like Tiki Magazine and plenty o' lovely Tiki purveyors out there -- so it depends on where you're viewing it from. Yeah, a small handful of folks have moved on from Tiki to other things, but it seems that about every other day or so I get an email from someone who has been loving tiki for many years who has only just recently stumbled across tiki's online presence, so it all feels very, very alive from where I'm sitting.

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Jul 6, 2006 6:29 AM

Certainly it is more mainstream than ever in my memory. At Target last weekend they had 50 of the 3 foot plastic lawn tikis in stock along with the Mai Tiki collection. Vintage Hawaiian design is very abundant and straight up tiki images as well. In a nice tip of the hat to Poly Pop, the modern images of tikis are turning out to look like tiki mugs rather than tikis. I am finding our little man all over the place. Not just things that might go in your bar decor, but actual tiki images.

Of course, that could all change next season, but it is a growth from what was there last summer. Hawaiian shirts are really everywhere. Ms Swanky asked the attendees of Coon Tiki to wear a Hawaiian shirt so she could spot them at the airport. That's when we realized how many people wear Hawaiian shirts!

But, in terms of this community of vintage Poly Pop, that is another story. It arose from obscurity to where it is in about 4 years. It's definitely in a new stage. A certain excitement has worn off. Newness. But, we are all developing friendships over time too, and the general state of the collections and home bars and scattered events is better and better.

There was talk of making this the last year for Hukilau. Go out on a high note. Wondering if it would draw the people next year after this 50th Mai Kai anniversary. I think there are enough Florida people to make it a big event just as California people keep Oasis strong. More than 50% of the attendees of Hukilau are from Florida.

If you define Tiki Central and our Poly Pop by the standards of 3 years ago, you could say it is dead. If you see it as an evolving community and all that it now encompasses, it is alive and strong.

PK

Eclecticism = making decisions on the basis of what seems best instead of following some single doctrine or style [syn: eclectic method]

On 2006-07-05 23:44, Monkeyman wrote:
Lately it feels like it.

Man...I hope so. Sure was a lot more fun.

Im not really that concerned about actual tiki popularity (because its something I can do in a vacuum if necessary) but its the other people who participate in it that I find most rewarding.

People are fragmenting and the group is fracturing a little.

I think there are many people that may not be able to incorporate tiki into as much of their lives as they'd like to.

Maybe they're on a little tangent away for a while, I know when I've worked on the garden all summer long, it's nice to take a break from the backbreaking labour over winter time.

With the hot summer upon us I'm sure folks go off on family vacations, maybe their spouses say 'no tiki!' or maybe they need a little break from it. Some people just get tired of it after a while, some folks(like you and me) will be here for tiki no matter what, we'll always have time to make a little detour to visit a friend, a bar, or go on a little hunt. And yet there are others who wish they had more time. Inside they're tiki all the way, but for them it must take a backseat in their lives for a while. Maybe a year, maybe until they retire.

Of course I'm speaking from an odd sort of place, because I can't attend parties, visit new bars, become a good local customer. I feel it, but I can't often act upon it. Saddens me a little, since some just can't be bothered, or they've had some sort of overload. I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

On 2006-07-06 10:03, Monkeyman wrote:
but its the other people who participate in it that I find most rewarding.

People are fragmenting and the group is fracturing a little.

I know just what you mean, and I completely agree.

I was talking about it this past weekend. My thought is that TC is what I make it. If I'm not actively participating, then it's my own fault that I'm not constantly entertained by it.

I love that you're bringing back the old posts. I wish more people would take the time to look through them and revive and update them. I think that's the intent of the Savage Renewal projects. But if I don't take the time to do it myself, how can I expect anyone else to.

I sorely miss the edge that the group used to have, but I also feel more comfortable to post knowing that I'm not going to be flogged in public. On the other hand, I'm often afraid to voice a non-PC opinion for fear of being chastised or banned.

Or maybe it's just the cold medicine talking...

S

On 2006-07-06 10:39, Tiki-Kate wrote:

...On the other hand, I'm often afraid to voice a non-PC opinion for fear of being chastised or banned.

Is that non-PC or non-TC-PC, the Tiki Central version of Politically Correct? :wink:

It does feel like it to me lately. There is a lack of fresh energy, a certain sense of repetition, and thus the non-hardcore Tiki-philes might turn to other things, and more casual consumers will pick up cheapo Tiki trinkets and not bother to connect them to the source (mid-century Tiki, whose revival put these very trinkets in shopping malls today), but just buy it with the same naivitee that 1960s folks did.

Not that there is neccessarily anything wrong with that. But for that very reason I was VERY bummed that Taschen delayed the publishing date of my new book until next February (the delay before it came this far is mea culpa, I admit...)

I felt that another concentrated blast of rare original Tiki imagery (100 images more than the BOT's 600 pix) would be perfectly placed around this September, delivering the injection of inspiration that perhaps is needed. I hope the winter hibernation will not be too deep now...

I can only say it will be worth the wait, folks.

TD

CHA CHING !

BM

Could be there may be a point of saturation where you can only exhume the past SO MUCH before it runs out of fresh discoveries...Its tough with something that fed on a faux reality in the first place then gets degraded by time & trends (the 70s killing off much of Poly architecture), crops up as 'kitsch' & lounge, peaks & then only the hardcore carry the torch. That kinda happened with surf music--all kinds of new energy in the 90s turned to burn-out & sameness in the 00s and now it is a safe crutch for advertisers, directors, etc., to sell the CA and coastal innocence to those who never were there in the first place.

I think I rambled... but there DOES need to be new energy poured into it and this site is THE place--I remember checking it when it first started WAITING for SOMEONE to post--now its HUGE

H

Tiki-Kate makes some great points -- Tiki Central is only what we all make it, and if you're wishing for more high-quality posts about Polynesian Pop, then the best thing you can do is stimulate the conversation in that direction by posting some yourself.

I've heard "maybe it's all been talked about" before, but I just don't think it holds water. Sven, for instance, has delved deeper into Poly Pop than most of us, and has been researching it heavily for about 10+ years longer than many of us, and yet he's learning new stuff all the time.

There's so much more out there to be seen and discovered, and "new" is relative... that old matchbook sitting in your collection, or that dusty Coco Joe's on your shelf -- it might be old news to you, but it would be something cool and new to a lot of people if you posted about it.

Some people might reach a personal saturation point, and move along to other interests, that's to be expected.

G

You know, I've been visiting TC regularly for maybe 2 1/2 years now. Then about 2 years ago I started posting. Then this year, my wife and I started meeting some of the TC ohana at parties and get-togethers. I can't tell you the feeling we had at meeting these people who included us in their circle immediately. You feel like instant friends. You may come from totally different walks of life, but yet you share so much in common. That's what TC is for me. The poly pop research posts are wonderful to read, but they're not what makes TC so special for me. What makes it special is the people. People that we've met and want to see again. People that we haven't yet met, have only read their posts, but can't wait to meet them. They may live on the other side of the continent. Doesn't matter.

Yes, I've noticed a lack of good original posts lately. Posts that bring up something that you didn't know before. But that's bound to happen. I've often asked myself, "what else is there to talk about?" But as long as I come to TC and find posts about someone's party where they had a fantastic time or a group of people meeting at the Mai Kai and here are the pictures... well, I'll keep coming back. I don't expect other people to carry the load. TC is what I make of it. Agreed on that point.

So, I haven't yet shared a drink with everyone here. But I plan to try. Everything else sets the stage for the meeting. But isn't that feeling of community and shared friendships what it's all about, even if they are long distance?

Long live TC and its eclectic and fun-loving family. Maybe we are going underground. Doesn't matter to me. As long as there is still a "we".

B

With the pending reopening of the Dallas Trader Vic's, the number of Tiki ports in Texas is about to multiply infinitely. So, from my perspective, Tiki's on the upswing. However, when I lived in Boston, it seemed like there were a lot of formerly glorious Tiki palaces that had been renovated into generic insults to culture (e.g. Jasper White's Summer Shack). From the New England perspective, it seemed like Tiki had died a long, slow death.

MR

Although I haven't been a regular TCer for very long, I have been involved for a long time now. I completely agree with Tiki is what you make of it. Diving in head first and doing your best to contribute is very rewarding,personally and genuinely appreciated. The tiki thing as a whole will always have it's peaks and valleys. I think the general consensus points to the fact that the more "hardcore" tikiphiles will continue to carry the torch through the darker times. As far as the group fracturing in some way---maybe. The posts and responses I've been involved with have been friendly and accepting. I see some occasional venom thrown out there but it is always explained or sorted out. The experience as a whole is going great for me and I hope that it can continue for others,new and old,for as long as "we" make it. Cheers.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 6, 2006 8:45 PM

Down under, I dont think it ever was truely above ground..

TC rocks. Tikis are kool. I now have tiki stuff at work, in my car, and at home. Why? Because I love it, and it makes me grin like an idiot. Almost all of my art has been swapped with artists I now consider friends. When I look at my tiki collection, yes it has a cool aesthetic appeal. But what I really see is all my mates here on TC.

TC is made by folks like Benz who give so much to new members, to folks like Marcus who invite folks theyve never met to party at their annual luau and get tiki presents for them when they go to the other side of the world :)

If I can do half of what folks like these guys contribute to Tiki, Id be happy.

Trends are shite for the consumeristic masses to follow.

Long live tikis. Long live TC. Long live the TC ohana.

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-07-06 20:53 ]

The Boo Tribe was "underground to da max!" yesterday. We just got back from Waikiki and were playing in the tunnels under the Sheraton and the Royal Hawaiian. Can't get more underground than that!! Below sea level at one point!! It was classic! Koo koo Koo Ka Koo Koo Koo!! This was after the 1:00 Mai Tai'i cat cruz and an afternoon at the Sand Bar. It was Spinal Tap !!! The big Ku ate our friend John's hand twice!!

Yes, there is a 6' Ku Warrior Tiki in the tunnels beneath the Pink Palace.

H

On 2006-07-06 23:57, RevBambooBen wrote:
The Boo Tribe was "underground to da max!" yesterday. We just got back from Waikiki and were playing in the tunnels under the Sheraton and the Royal Hawaiian. Can't get more underground than that!! Below sea level at one point!! It was classic! Koo koo Koo Ka Koo Koo Koo!! This was after the 1:00 Mai Tai'i cat cruz and an afternoon at the Sand Bar. It was Spinal Tap !!! The big Ku ate our friend John's hand twice!!

Yes, there is a 6' Ku Warrior Tiki in the tunnels beneath the Pink Palace.

ARRRR!! Show us some pics Ben! Sounds like a blast. Speaking of blasts... TIKI BEACH BURN This Saturday!! Okay, maybe not the same blast as TUNNELS IN HAWAII, but a different one...

I don't feel very underground. Then again, I am not a tiki expert.
Maybe it's underground and I just don't know it. Aside from a few beefs I see here n there regarding what IS or ISN'T "real" tiki, everything seems to be moving smoothly. To sound like a broken record, ya get outta tiki what you put into it.

From where I'm standing and from what I witnessed last weekend at Ona and Moki's, I'm thinking we are all getting alot out of it... and It all seems to be just great. :)

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jul 7, 2006 7:01 AM

On the 29th, my tiki underground gets exposed. I've been to a few luaus at friend's houses, but no one has been to mine yet. I'll be kickin' it old school and seeing how people react. Maybe it'll awaken something in some visitors. Maybe I can give them some magic. "Black Magic" from the Mai Kai drink list not withstanding!

Even in the old days when the Polynesian palaces were in their hayday, there were those "underground" people who took it home. Relished it. Added tiki bars to their houses and threw luaus in their yards. It's all the same today. Some walk in the Mai Kai and think it's tacky, kitsch, weird or wonderful. We carry the torch of those who loved it. We just don't have as many actual places to go out and enjoy it as they did. We joined a 40 year old underground, rather than creating it.

T

It feels a bit subdued to me these days as well, but that may have to do more with being so busy at my latest job - I have very little time to read or post on TC, especially not exhausting history/photo laden ones like I used to...!

I don't know if I'd say "underground", but it's not at the fever pitch it was for me 3 years ago...

T

If you consider the socio-political and economic climate of today, maybe lots of tikiphiles are suffering from some sort of geo-malaise that saps their tiki energy. There is a cure though.
Take a mug from your collection, add one part rum and some fresh lime juice and anything else you fancy and pour it down yar gulit(sorry,talk like a pirate day is getting close)that would be your throat and you'll feel better almost instantly.
Remember the Hawaiian words at the bottom of this post roughly translate to: love and laugh and enjoy life a little each day.
Mahalo for Being Tiki,
Tikiboy

I'm with tikiboy. Nothing fun about being in the underground. Take a look at the French Underground, the Underground Railroad and the Digital Underground. No member of those groups ever had a relaxed night's sleep. But since I became an out-of-the-closet tiki head, I sleep well every night--even better on the weekends. Have a drink and things will look righter.

Interesting question MM. One I have pondered for a few days now. My take on it is like this:
Events are poppin' off on what could almost be said to be a weekly basis. Everything from the home luaus to major endevors like Oasis, Tiki Invasion and Hukilau are bringin' in lots of old and new faces. If you check out myspace you will also find an amazing number of "freinds" who are not members of T.C. but love Tiki all the same.
Tiki is big and it is getting bigger especially with all the crossover from other scenes (surf, rockabilly, burlesque, etc) all which seem to be growing to some degree also. So I don't think it can vanish of the map, there is too much passion and enthusiasm for what tiki offers to all of us. (Some of you folks have tiki tatoos which is a helll of a commitment and tribute in my view.) There will also be the people who just jump into the water for the weekend and never return.
It is getting harder to keep up with all the post on TC because of the amount of time needed. Every year new friends are made and keeping up with everyones lives, artwork and accomplishments is getting to be next to impossible. I have trouble simply keeping up with my own adventures, responsibilities and creations, yet I still come back to TC and look around daily. I reckon I may have been a bit underground lately since a majority of my post lately have been in the bilge and beyond forum. Anyway, some of the old timers appear to have dropped off and don't post so much any more, but I believe many are still around lurking and sometimes will post when something inspires them to do so. Or they will show up and clink mugs at one of the many events.
My point is I don't think tiki is going underground, the tiki temple is being built above ground and getting bigger, however it is getting harder to see all the rooms and meet all who are adding to it. Some of the old timers may have chosen to remain comfortably in the tunnels below the tiki temple that is currently being constructed. While the scene continues to grow above ground, hopefully there will be some who will find time to explore the ancient caverns below. For those who do will find the lost gems and treasures of the early days. They may also meet the folks who helped build the base or faithfully acted as caretakers of the history and artifacts of this lifestyle. They may even find a few ghosts and forgotten monsters. But more importantly they will hopefully discover what tiki really means to them and a defintion that feels right for them. My definiton of tiki has not changed much over the years but my lifestyle has and number of good freinds has improved greatly. One last point, which I hope will not be taken as a poke at TC or it's members is that TC is not the measuring stick to for the tiki scene. It is only part of a bigger whole and one of the many rooms that leads to the original caves of worship. Some of the entrances to the caverns are still waitin to be discovered and many are not on the internet or known by TC members. You never know where they will pop up so keep your eyes peeled.
Over and out,
Chongolio

M

I think Tiki is alive and thriving . Escpecially in the summer months.

Unfortunately, not everyone is a serious enthusiates and the true meaning & stories become washed out.

As far as TC: I am not able to attend a lot of the tiki events due to work and fear that my liver will rot away...

However, when I do see the group and meet new members... It's a magical event:)

Chongo, I hear ya braddah.

I know that TC is not the center of the tiki universe but its the closest thing that I can find.

If anyone is aware of a globally available conduit to bring folks together regardless of geographic proximity I would be interested to know what that is.

Obviously Im using activity on TC for the basis of my question. Its been pretty amazing lately to see a thread in the main forum sit on top for a couple days with no new posts.

I still have plenty of "in person" activity but I only get to do that sort of stuff on a periodic basis.

I know that bickering and unpleasant posts can cause some folks to wander off or sit on the sidelines but I really think that the number of those posts has dropped way way off.

Its all good and I have enjoyed folks posts so far.

H

On 2006-07-07 12:55, Monkeyman wrote:
Its been pretty amazing lately to see a thread in the main forum sit on top for a couple days with no new posts.

My guess is that this is due to a few factors, the primary one being that with more sections in Tiki Central, a lot of posts that used to go in the General area are now getting posted in other areas. Plus, sunshiney weather and a holiday weekend tend to get people away from their computers. And hey, people get busy! I haven't posted on my blog in a while, but that doesn't mean I've lost my interest in it or tiki, it just means I'm really, really busy. Not that there isn't neccessarily an actual slow-down in posting, I just think those factors amplify it.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 7, 2006 1:58 PM

Humuhumu is right - we're busy making stuff and it's summer!

Tiki is exploding. Tiki Farm has more orders now than ever before, carvers can't keep up with the demand, you can't turn around on the internet without knocking over a new Hawaiian shirt business.

The problem is, the whole Tiki movement is and always has been comprised of many groups, mostly unknown to each other until recently;

• 50's-era Poly-Pop enthusiasts
  • Islanders proud of their culture
  • Hawaii lovers
  • Drinkers! YeeEE haw!
  • Modernism historians
  • Classical (Ancient Polynesia) historians
  • Writers, artists, carvers, musicians, them folks
  • Landscapers, architects
  • Loonies

And keep in mind the really hardcore Tikiophiles are often old people (my favorites, and who we really should thank for it all) who don't know the internet from a can of shoe polish!

Just enjoy the fireworks, it's great watching the whole thing go Ka-BANG from the only available center, here on TC.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-07-07 19:18 ]

• 50's-era Poly-Pop enthusiasts
  • Islanders proud of their culture
  • Hawaii lovers
  • Drinkers! YeeEE haw!
  • Modernism historians
  • Classical (Ancient Polynesia) historians
  • Writers, artists, carvers, musicians, them folks
  • Landscapers, architects
  • Loonies

Add surfers to that list

And surf music fans,
there is a connection there

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2006-07-07 12:55, Monkeyman wrote:
If anyone is aware of a globally available conduit to bring folks together regardless of geographic proximity I would be interested to know what that is.

Web cam party!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jul 8, 2006 4:51 AM

On 2006-07-07 12:00, MTKahuna wrote:
I think Tiki is alive and thriving . Escpecially in the summer months.

Hahaha - its funny when its freezing cold here (Australia) I get a big tropical fix from TC. Then in Summer I come on and its quietsville baby...

I heard the exact same complaint just last week on another board I habituate, then everyone argued about why things weren't as good as during the Golden Age of Boarding & that thread went over 100 pages, and then people made some threads that kept everyone's attention, the creative juices started flowing again & the complaint thread disappeared off the front page.

T

My gut feeling from the comments and interest in my Tiki-related art is that Tiki is slowing fading. And if few or nobody is interested is there are reason to create more Tiki art? Still pondering it. Maybe Tiki needs to be shaken up with something new.

Added:
DonĀ“t know if it means anything, but even Shag seems to be going a different route with his newest work:
http://www.shag.com/ShagAfterDark/Comiccon.html

[ Edited by: ToonToonz 2006-07-08 16:33 ]

T

Is it really all about the art, the collections, and the bamboo matting that we want for our walls? I hate to think that the whole beauty of TC is that it "makes it easier to find cool stuff to buy." I think that most of the people here probably enjoy getting together and having a few beverages...maybe even talking to someone who has a similar interest! Maybe if you think "tiki" (and really, can you put everything tiki related into one category...honestly it seems to me like the drinks, music, "artifacts", pictures, and most importantly, the PEOPLE, can each be seen as a freestanding thing to enjoy, and shouldn't be described by a four letter word) is going underground, it's time to ask why people get into it...Why did I get into it? Well, if you look at the whole post-war era, when the Tiki Bar phenomenon was at it's apex, there's one thing that you'll find in nearly every photograph, advertisement, and exciting new achievement of the era...Optimism! So really...everyone's not talkin about "tiki stuff" right now. But over in the events section, people are plotting grand get togethers...ranging in size from Hukilau down to the San Antonio Tiki Night last month...in fact, that was the first time the San Antonio TC group ever got together...so I'd say we're definitely on the upswing. At any rate...if people aren't posting their newest finds, or debating which Steve Crane Mug is really the best ever...or having a friendly argument over what really constitutes a dash of bitters...big deal. I guess to state it simply...it's all about the 'Ohana'...The mugs and ambience are a common preference, but my guess is you could take 4 members of TC and stick them into a truck stop in Amarillo and they'd still have a good time.

Now I need to mix a drink...

TT

I just think it's people seeking paradise. Seek it, create it, support it. Underground, mainstream. All groups splinter a little.
Forbidden Island is doing well. Trader Vic's the same. Right place, right time and give the customer quality at a fair price. Some of the old time TCer's are gone because of disagreements/misunderstandings but that's going to happen.

Minnie's is still alive. I would like to see them make better drinks. They are dismal.

Where's my peyote milk shake?

Is Tiki Going Underground?? What a Dorky question..

Thanks for your input Spermy. Thats a reply that we can all learn something from. Hi Kwalitee.

T

I guess one way to see if Tiki is waning in interest is the number of posts here at Tiki Central. Is traffic up or down over the past year?

I can check the stats on visitors to my art website and visitors to the Tiki art page has decreased somewhat. (Whereas visits to the wine art pages and other art pages has gone up substantially.)

Not being much of a drinker myself, I am more of a collector (and creator) of Tiki items; however, I do see Tiki as a main reason for people of a similar demographic group to gather and enjoy the cocktail or two. I wonder what the average age of people visiting Tiki events and Tiki bars is?

I am sure all it would take is some popular TV show to go Hawaiian/Tiki and Tiki would zoom in popularity.

G

On 2006-07-08 20:35, tekoteko wrote:
so I'd say we're definitely on the upswing.

Socially, yes. But tiki as a hot topic of discussion... I'd say we're on a definite downswing. But I think you're post generally agrees with that.

Now I need to mix a drink...

Now you're talking! While you're at it, make it two. And don't forget the Les Baxter on the hi fi. I'll be right over.

T

I wouldn't get bummed out by any 'low-tide' feelings about the tiki wax n' wane... Like all forums, a lot of members are just content to read, others might not think what they have to say is worth posting (like maybe this!) or it's been said before.
Obviously it's a heavier question for those out there making a living off tiki.
As for being hot? Hmmm... Maybe if the producers of "Lost" tossed in a tiki-totem here & there, or have the chubby guy prop up a tiki bar, there'd be a sharp spike in interest...

On 2006-07-08 23:26, The Sperm Whale wrote:

CLASSIC!!!

On 2006-07-10 22:57, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2006-07-08 23:26, The Sperm Whale wrote:

CLASSIC!!!

When the Bamboo replies to your post..Your'e underground if you like it or not.

Tiki has survived worse. If interest wanes and it goes underground again, it will resurface again in another few decades. In the meantime, it becomes that much more sacred for the diehards who keep the flame burning.

But frankly, I think we're still riding the crest of the latest resurgence. I was just at a candle store called Illuminations at Downtown Disney tonight. The new theme is "Tiki" with tikis on posters everywhere.

Sabu

Sabu, what the hell is this?
Took me a couple of minutes to stop laughin.

Pages: 1 2 52 replies