Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Purported 1940's Tiki?

Pages: 1 10 replies

This is another questionable item that the collector needs to determine the provenance of before sale. It was acquired by the present owner about 15 years ago from an older gentlemen who claimed his father had it since the forties. I know nothing of tikis of this era, or whether or not this is even a tiki or African artifact? Please help!! Even wild guesses will be appreciated. I have no idea what is is at all, but I can verify that it appears VERY old. I have it in my possession (under lock and key and pitbull) and am going to take it to a wood guy to find out what it is.
Help!Help!Help!Help! Please...

All guesses welcome...
Buzzy

I just had to comment. To me, it looks like the Sesame St. character that pokes his head out of the trash can. Whatever his name is.
I don't think that is tiki. It looks like an attempt. But what do I know. Nothing.

oscar the grouch!!!! good one JT! Man, I always wanted that dudes trash can...it seemed ENDLESS!!!!

Buzzy - my guess would be palm wood of some sort. The cracking of the wood is similiar to how my palm tikis crack and frey. As far as if it's tiki....dunno. like JT said...maybe an attempt. But if it's really from the forties, then it pretty much pre-dates most of the stylized "tikis" of the 50's and 60's that are so prevelant on TC.

Also - could be an amature carving. I say that because of the legs - not equal sized (and noticably so). Is there a signature at all?

also - what the hell is it holding????

I think it's a 'Mulletiki'

On 2006-07-06 18:48, Polynesiac wrote:
#1 like JT said...maybe an attempt. But if it's really from the forties, then it pretty much pre-dates most of the stylized "tikis" of the 50's and 60's that are so prevelant on TC.

#2Also - could be an amature carving. I say that because of the legs - not equal sized (and noticably so). Is there a signature at all?

#3 also - what the hell is it holding????

#1 Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the pre date thing. I have no reference prior to the Schmaltz-Coombs era, so I have no idea what was around in the forties.
#2 The oral history attatched to this item places its origin on an island, and was then brought to the US. As far as oral histories go, I love Antiques Roadshow. Like the other night, this lady had some furniture that her family told her came on the same boat as G. Washington to the colonies from England. It was made by the same people that made his furniture for Mt Vernon, her Grandmother told her. As it turns out, the piece was made in New York in the mid 1900's and was the budget line, as far as furniture went in that day. additionally, the furniture in Mt Vernon was made in the good old USA!! So that's why I posted, and wondered about this thing just like you. No, there is no signature or marking anywhere, and it isn't palm. One of those pictures shows where a knot was growing out of it and you can see the growth rings in it. I'll try to get a better picture of it if a wood guy cannot tell me what it is. It probably is an amateur carver, I just wonder when it was carved, and like you guys, I wonder if it is pre 50's styling or just coincidental folk art.
#3 Looks like it is supposed to be a pot with a neck. A flat pot. Or one of those hot water bottles. He might have had a little too much of the good life last night...Explains the hair. I think it might be an early tribute to the morning walk of shame...
Thanks for the input and just to let you know, I think you're one of the best artists around right now. I totally love your work. It's great to finally meet you in some forum...
Buzzy
Buzzy

On 2006-07-06 19:08, Tikiwahine wrote:
I think it's a 'Mulletiki'

Or that Prince Valiant guy in the old comics...

Buzzy,

Looks like it might possibly be a Mexican piece as well. Really hard to tell.

Here is the logo tiki from the old Don The Beachcomber restaurants:

As you can see, it doesn't look much like a standard tiki either, although it may have been inspired by Tongan designs(?) The Don the Beachcomber tiki is from the 1950s, but I'm not sure it dates back to the 40s. Yours looks vaguely like it, so I can't rule out completely that yours might be a tiki of some sort as well.

Sabu

TS

I'm going to take a stab at central/south american indian carving....Also the same as inka or inca. It looks very peruvian-esque in its facial details like the native indians that live along the amazon. Hell, it could be circa 1990s from the peruvian restaurant chain El Pollo Inka...hehe....heres some links to various pictures of South American Indians that mostly use the "Betty" Bangs in their hairstyle and culture.
http://www.topperart.com/Other/stirrup.jpg
http://www.ipsaa.it/espdid/edpace01/material/indio.jpg
http://rights.apc.org/handbook/originales/indio.gif
http://www.asaga.com.br/imagens/Multi/CLEITON%20COSTA%20-%20INDIO%20MIGUEL.jpg

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Jul 7, 2006 5:30 AM

Looks South/Central American to me as well. It would be helpful to know what the wood is in order to place it's rough origin.

On 2006-07-07 05:30, McTiki wrote:
Looks South/Central American to me as well. It would be helpful to know what the wood is in order to place it's rough origin.

McTiki: Yeah, I figured the type of wood would tell us a lot. We have two differing theories of its origin that seem to be the most plausable at this point. I know a couple wood guys locally that I'm going show this too. Trouble is, unless the guy knows exactly, it's just more conjecture...There is this super genius plant guy in Escondido that I know, but it's too hot out there this time of year. I'll post the second I have a credible identification of the wood type.
This is fun though. I feel like a Tiki detective...

Thanks so much to you all who have tried to help me on this and will do more work in the future for curiousity's sake

Magnum PI Buzzy out!

H

I recognize that guy by his distinctive nose. It's Inca. In fact it's Inca Dinca Doo.

Pages: 1 10 replies