Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Duddy's first carvings---->>> clear pictures at last pg. 2

Pages: 1 29 replies

TD

Good day, i have finally got my tikis on my computer. im not too sure what kind of wood i used i just found some and started carving one day. so here they are.....

that was my first one i finished about a month ago. its about 18 inches tall and 7 inches wide

that was my second one i made in less than a day just for something to do. it is 6 inches tall and a little more than 1 inch wide.

and this is my latest one i finished about three days ago.
thank you for looking. comments or tips would be greatly apprecieated.

here they are a little bit bigger.....

life is a log, carve it.

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2006-07-08 16:27 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2006-07-11 11:01 ]

[ Edited by: tiki duddy 2006-07-11 13:12 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2006-07-17 11:50 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2006-08-07 19:33 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2006-08-07 19:34 ]

M
McTiki posted on Sat, Jul 8, 2006 5:57 PM

These are firsts? Nice job!

Mc

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jul 8, 2006 6:12 PM

Oh yeah! A very nice start indeed. Show us more!

-Gman

B

Tiki Duddy has it Goin' On! you gots all your stuffs together young man after a few months we are gonna be lookin back at your first 100 pages and sayin "WOW,Look in Just a hundred pages what he Did" . Now don't go gettin a big head yet, save that result for later.

TD

hey guys thank you alot. now i know what it feels like when everyone can see your work and comment on it and ive got to say it feels pretty good. thanks for the kind words. and ben dont worry i think the big headedness wont be a problem.

TD

i am now working on tiki number 5. i am going to try to make the head and the rest of the body too. im using some pretty hard wood for the first time and its working alot better than the others did because it does not chip as easy. i will try to have some pictures of my progress as soon as i can but for now thats all i can really do.

ps. i appologise for the pictures of my other ones. they did not turn out that well with the camera i was using. you cant really see the detail but thats all i can do.

ok im now working on tiki number 5. im not sure what kind of wood it it all i know is that it is pretty hard and apparently it comes from B.C. and its bark is used for cancer treatment.
so here it is

so there it is. im hoping the rest is going to turn out as well as the face did. again comments or tips would be appreciated.

and that is it so far. im hoping to be able to get the rest of the body in.

J

Good start! You are hooked now. What are you using to carve these?

JP

hey thanks JP. oh im hooked for sure. i was hooked after my first tiki and now i just keep going. i dont really know how to use the power tools right for carving so ive been using just hand chizles and hook blades.

Taking a Break from sanding Buzzy sings to the tune of that oldie that I don't know the words to: "Go Duddy, Go Duddy, Go!, Go!, Go!"(It makes more sense to hear me sing it in perfect pitch, live...Where's my dog?)

Email me a picture from your computer, if you can. It looks like your larger photos are just the thumnails blown up(Poor quality, hard to really give good help/advice cause it's hard to see what's up) I'll see if it looks better and repost it for you. Do they look better on your screen when you look at them enlarged than they do on the site?
You better be carving between all your posts these last couple days...and, answering your question, I use local Mexican Fan Palms. They're straight,soft, tall, and plentiful-that is why I use them. Use whatever you find locally...TIMBER!
Bye bye,
Busy Buzzy
email me picture at link below

Now how did that double post?

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-07-12 00:47 ]

hey thanks for the song your a singer all right. yea i dont have a very good device to take pictures with. all i got is somebody elses camera phone and it dosent do such a good job when i enlarge the pictures. ill email you those pictures and see what we can do.
thanks.

B

Duddy, it's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like you are way ahead for just starting to carve. Practice makes perfect they say, so Show us some more practices

hey ben thanks for the kind words. i know my pictures are fuzzy but im doing the best with what i got.
and here are some more of my practices....

and that is what i have got done so far i will probably have more very soon

ok here is number five finished. i still dont have a good camera so sorry about that.
enjoy....

thanks for looking.

M

Duddy, We need to do something with your camera bro! Tikis are coming along great though. (from the grainy images that I can see (lol) Keep posting em. You like what happens after about thirty. (I haven't reached 25 myself, but, I know that I'm either getting better or, my newer tools are making a difference)

Mahalo

Mc

hey thanks MC yes i know my pictures are no good. i still need to get a good camera. well i am looking foreward to the number thirty tiki then. thank you for the kind words.

What are you finishing these with(if you are finishing them)? Hard to tell from pics, just wondering.

I havent decided what to use to finish it with. all my other ones ive used some stain and then varnished them up. i dont know what im going to do with my one. i really like the color of the wood how it is so im thinking i might just varnish it without any stain.

Rockin Pieces you carved there! I especially like the seated feller way back at the beginning of your thread! Keep it up! You seem on a very good roll! Don't stop!

hey little lost tiki thank you. i really like that one as well. that was my number 2 tiki i made just for something to do one day and it turned out better than i thought it would.

thank you for the kind words

B

Duddy, you just keep right on carving. A new camera will come along one of these days, but don't let it slow you down.

hey ben thanks. yes as soon as i can afford it i will get a camera and it will be grand. untill then i will keep on carving

TD

FINALLY i have been able to get my pictures clear a little bit. here they are thank you for looking

and there we go.

Allright! I can finally see...
Nice work TD!
Keep em coming!
Buzzy

hey buzzy thanks. the whole problem with my pictures not being clear was shutterfly. i dont know if i was doing it wrong or what but now that we can just put images in with out shutterfly i can get my pictures clear.
FINALLY

H

Haven't seen an update for awhile!

B

Hey Dudy, nice pictures finally, how did you do it, raise the resolution make finer jpg's? However you did it, they look tons better. Your carvings are really coming along.

Better and better all the time Duddy. It's good to see your new stuff!

hey thanks man. i have learned so much from when i started. its thanks to this great site here.

Pages: 1 29 replies