Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Exploring Denver, suggestions?

Pages: 1 2 replies

I am stopping in Denver for a few days on my way to the Tiki Crawl, anyone have any suggestions for a warm up in Denver? Will be there Mon., July 17th-19th.

Aloha Bohemiann!

Hmmmm....well there's not a lot of tiki in Denver....yet.

For good pu-pus and decent tiki drinks, I'd suggest the Denver Ohana's current favorite:

Twin Dragon
Address: 3021 S Broadway, Englewood, CO 80113
Phone: (303) 781-8068

Now, after a wonderfull meal, I'd suggest stopping by:
Tiki Massage Therapy
(303) 708-9900
6852 S Dallas Way
Greenwood Village, CO 80112

Fellow TC'er Zulumaggo's lovely wife is proprietor and I'm certain she'll be able to make those travel pains and woes, go away.
To find Zulu, go to Tiki Events-other events-Denver Tiki happenings and info and you'll find some of his posts and can PM him for more info.

Now if your looking for a bit of action, then I'd suggest Hyland Hills Adventure Golf. They offer a jungle adventure putt-putt course that's really a blast...literally. Amongst the temple ruins, the snapping gators and the tikis (sorta) that taunt you and shoot water, lies a 14' fire belching volcano. It's a bit of a drive, but a fun course to play.

Now if your really looking for the most authentic tiki atmosphere in or near Denver and you're willing to drive about an hour south, then I'd highly recommend The Original Castaways in Manitou Springs. Built just as the great tiki recession was occurring, The Original Castaways offers bamboo huts, walls of tribal masks, fish trap lamps, etc. They even feature a limited selection of tiki drinks, served in tiki mugs. The weird thing is that they're not really hip to tiki. I've spoken with the owner and it was his father who built the place (obviously an old school tikiphile) and they've kept it the same ever since. The steak and seafood is a bit pricey, but very good. The service is also top notch.

When you enter the building, make sure to look for the large stone tiki next to the waterfall. They sometimes use some funky lighting effects and it makes the tiki hard to see.

I know there's some architecture and points of tiki interest about town, but Zulu is really the guy to talk to.

Whew!

I know that was a lot to say, but I hope it helps.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

I think I might try and manage a roadtrip to Castaways. Although puttputt golf was awfully tempting :lol:
I will capture the scene and post my experience. I have rediscovered TC and now that my job is allowing me to travel more extensively and quench my tiki wanderlust this is the best tool on the planet for researching, exploring and sharing things tiki. Thanks for your input! :drink:

Pages: 1 2 replies