Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

New SHAG New Orleans Square print and merch at DISNEYLAND!

Pages: 1 7 replies

This is hardly Tiki news, but I haven't seen ANYTHING posted on this anywhere, even on Disney fan sites. I was at Disneyland this weekend and purchased a New Orleans Square petite print for $35. This is almost twice as big as their previous petite prints and in comes matted in a die-cut double colored-matte very similar to what they did with SHAG's Disneyland map matte. I also saw a girl's shirt with the same artwork. I was surprised nothing was announced in advance. Those were the only two items available. You could also buy the print framed. I assume there will be additional items released in the same line. The print is basically a mom and dad (taking a picture) with a boy (who is dressed as a pirate) and they are standing in the middle of New Orleans Square with the Pirates building on one side and the Haunted Mansion on the other (complete with Mansion plaque) and some of New Orleans Square in between. It is done in beautiful colors unusual from other SHAG works. I was surprised to see these as I had talked to SHAG's brother (who runs SHAG Mart) about his work for Disney and he told me that Disney had approached SHAG about doing Pirates merchandise. SHAG refused as Disneyland already had too much of his work.
I don't have a way to photograph and I'm sure an image will appear soon somewhere. The lady at the Gallery above Pirates (which is the only place that had these items, and not-so-prominently displayed I might add) said they were released that morning (this past Saturday). Not sure if they will do a large litho.
Anybody know any more about these?
Hope I didn't offend Tiki purist, but I figure there is plenty of SHAG and Disneyland fans here.
Your friend,
Louis

"Even though your body will shrink, your mind will expand!"

[ Edited by: Atomobile 2006-07-11 19:07 ]

How about attaching a pic - for those of us that can't afford disneyland

TS

I found it! the picture is really cool, check it out!

Thats an ebay pic and the $35 isnt a bad price considering this guy is going to sell his for at least $150!!! I guess a good line of bullshit can make you rich!
Update This Seller did have a bid on it, but now its been canceled, and he did not wind up selling it afterall....Maybe the buyer is a TCr or reads TC posts?Sorry to bump this topic up again, but I had to clear the air if people went to the auction and seen that it didnt sell...lol
Print Auction on ebay

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2006-07-18 12:15 ]

Hi! I am the one who listed the print and that is my photo that is featured. I went to the Disney Gallery last Wed. and got the last two shag prints that they had. they told me that the print was available for the pirates merchandise event only and would no longer be offered. They could not offer an explanation why this great shag print would no longer be available. FYI, the print sold the next day.

Hello fellow Tiki Cetralites,
Fear not, this print is not sold out and is not limited edition. Regardless of what this eBayer was told, this is a brand new piece. It was NOT sold at the Pirates event. In fact, the day that I first saw it was the first day that these babies were released (and that was AFTER the event). They have TONS of these prints at their warehouse and will continue to sell them for the foreseeable future. They retail for $35 and if you score an employee discount (and who doesn't have a cast member friend!), they are even cheaper. Please beware of eBay overpricing. Not only do they have lots more of where this came from, but the plan is to issue even MORE merchandise based on this artwork. This is only the beginning. Disney Gallery has these in stock RIGHT NOW, and don't freak out if they don't have them when you check. Disneyland is notorious for letting their stock run low, then take a while to get to their warehouse. I worked on the 50th 6-CD box set, and I know that they purposely allowed them to trickle out to create demand.
As I said before, there is this print, and a girl's shirt with the artwork on it. There will be more merchandise released in this line. They will have this all year long and most likely all of next year. I checked with someone in the know, trust me on this one.
And, it is likely that this eBayer was told what he claims he was told (cast members are known to be clueless). I wish I could tell you what I think this eBayer actually knows, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Buyer beware!
Your friend,
Louis

"Even though your body will shrink, your mind will expand!"

[ Edited by: Atomobile 2006-07-20 10:39 ]

TS

Sorry DisneyDan, but I just look out for fellow Tiki Central users, so they don't "get it in the arse" when buying things. I guess if people outside of Tiki Central are naive enough to buy merchandise before they do their homework...Well, more power to you as a seller I guess....But here at Tiki Central we all tend to look out for one another when it comes to stickershocked ebay items, so don't feel offended as it was stated only to enlighten Tiki Centralites.

Dont get me wrong, I am a big Shag fan. Loved "retro" before it was popular. I just think some of his latest stuff is lame. This pc. is actualy bordering on [pardon the word] "cute". Now I know opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, however I know more than one gallery owner thats not buying any of his art right now because of this. I'm hopin he puts out a new series that kicks ass again. Then I'll just shut the flock up & buy them! M.A.

We bought this mini print at the gallery on the Friday that the movie was released and we love it! I am excited to hear there will be more merchandise coming out too. I love all of Shag's Disneyland stuff (or all of his stuff for that matter.)

Pages: 1 7 replies