Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

question : painting on Tiki Farm tikis

Pages: 1 7 replies

T

I was pointed to this site by hewey an artist that hangs out on Sketch Kult as do I. I am a pinstriper and artist that recently has been painting on tikis made by Tiki Farm. The owner of Charlotts Web asked me if Id like ta stripe a tiki. She sells my work and is always lookin' for something different to give me to paint. Hewy saw two tikis I did on Sketch Kult 'n said he has not seen anything like them here 'n to give it a shot. So here are 2 Ive done for the Strangers show next Sunday and I have 4 more to go. As a collector is it less desirable if its painted. Im sure if I was Franco , Shag or Pizz they would be snagged right away.........( Im still workin' on gettin' known ) Let me know what ya think of these two.

a long tin lunch box I did
If your interested my other worx are on http://www.pinheadlounge.com ( TBonez ) and my web page that has a rendition of a Von Franco tiki pinstriped on a toilet seat http://www.tbonez.net Thanx for lookin'

[ Edited by: TBonez 2006-07-16 06:12 ]

H

Hey Buddy, glad to see you made it :)

As far as the "collectability" - depends on the piece. If its a limited edition mug (say a run of 200) I think modifying it would negatively affect its value. If they're relatively "common" some tasefull stripes turn it from run of the mill into a piece of art.

But Im no collecter, so Im not the best person to answer that.

Ill send ya a PM too.

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-07-15 22:56 ]

JT

I think it looks great! If you sign and number them you've definitely got something collectible. How about one with colors that are only visible under a black light?

T

Kool idea but I dont think One Shot makes a paint like that also it would make it difficult to paint unless it was under the black light

[ Edited by: TBonez 2006-07-16 18:21 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 16, 2006 8:30 PM

Get a decanter and respray it in some nice candy green or something and stripe it :)

Dont do it to a mug, not sure of toxicity of oneshot etc.

Lots of cool detail work. How much would the detailed ones they sell for?

TbonZ.
Great work!Your colors have an nice ol'school happy feeling! That tongue is hilarious!Your pieces are definetely worthy of display at these kind of events! Beautiful! Good Luck at that Strangers Show next Sunday!Speaking of painted mugs-Recently saw the Mr.G mug at TikiFarm HQ and it looks so tight! Crazy precise pinstriping and the brown surface has a beautiful texture with the most perfect brown! Photos do not do it justice! The TikiFarm mugs that were painted for DaTiki and his DvA gallery show were bisque fired clay and sent out plain white for the participants to decorate-maybe there's a stigma against just embellishing a mug as opposed to going about it in a traditional artistic way(ie: treating the white surface as a gessoed surface and painting it accordingly).Maybe those pieces are more valuable because the mugs were fired for that specific event and purpose... I dunno,what do other TC ers think? To paraphrase Hewey "I ain't no expert,but...." hope this post helped. Here's a link to those TikiFarm DvA Gallery mugs... Aloha!
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19718&forum=12&10

those look GREAT! good job keep the work comming. look foreward to more pictures.

Pages: 1 7 replies