Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

McTiki ** New pics 02/03 New Mask!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies

M

Be gentle, it's only my second pine carve. 8 hrs into it. The stains will bring the details that are lost from a distance due to the grain flow and the color at present.

Mahalo

McTiki

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-10-22 14:49 ]

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-10-30 12:57 ]

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-11-04 11:10 ]

[ Edited by: McTiki 2007-02-03 09:40 ]

H

Maaaan---that thing looks wiiiiilllld! Looks like it might bite you if you got too close. Looking good-can't wait to see your progress.

B

Yeah Mc, keep away from those Teeth, he looks like he has a Nasty Bite and like he will bite bad if he gets the chance.
He is gonna be a good one. I'm going to have to come over to your house one of these dayz and check yer stuff out, make sure you're doin it right. Looks like it.

TG

Fantabulous! I like's it. The sharpies are rad. This one's gonna be cool. Great work there Mc. That yellow pine is some hard stuff eh? Ya need to try a piece of soft white pine. Got plenty for ya?????? Come on up. We can create another dust storm and you can pick up some.

Look's good bro'.

nice work mc keep up the good work

M

Thanks so much Ben, Surf, Marcus. Mr. Tiki G introduced me to the tools he utilizes a couple of weeks back and let me tell ya, I feel like an idiot knowing what I know now. Ya can't make the best round surfaces using linear tools lol.

Tiki G, we'll take you up on the dust storm @ your bungalow this time.

Mahalo

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 24, 2006 5:16 PM

Looks good man! Love them teeth!

Keen to see what you do with the eyes :)

M

Thanks everyone. I just stained this log and it looks like ass. I hate it. I used dark walnut to try and hide some of the grain. It looks worse than I imagined it would. I'm goin back to palm woods. Miffed! I'll post pics if your remotely interested. Just too pissed right now.

hey mc that tiki looks AMAZING! very different. i really like the nose on it and im sure the stain didnt turn out bad. if it did oh well. then you know for the next time. good work

B

What, Not done Yet? Where izzit? You letting that Florida sunshine and Rum get to your brain? or wazzit the rain and the rum?
Hoho.

J

Post it- I'm interested, The way you did the eyes is very neat and originial.
JP

Lets see it. I bet its not as bad as you think it is.

M

Allright JP/Rodeo here the beast is....I was my own worst critic first (lol) This will be my last yellow pine carve. Ben knows! He's been there with this stuff as has Tiki G! Stuff is nasty. Big, but nasty. JP, the eyes are not my origination. I morphed this log from many different designs.

Camera was a little condensed from being inside, sorry.

Mahalo

Mc

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-07-26 14:33 ]

J

I think it turned out great! Pine does take stain funny, but your shows really well.
JP

TG

I like it! Good job bro'. That is some tough stuff....

Heya Mc... nice tiki. Don't give up on the pine so easy... white is nice but yellow ain't half bad either. Look at the nice grain you had in the mouth and eyes. You just stained it too dark. Try Early American next time... the walnut really darkens up pine.

You want to talk about hard... try the 3 foot chunk of ash I finished up today... BEAUTIFUL grain though! It'll be at Hukilau.

Oh... just noticed you wanted to hide the grain though with the Dark Walnut. How come? I think the grain looks purty.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-07-26 21:50 ]

Also like the carving MC...looks good...sorta vintage...and the design is a nice combination
of styles....I am just now starting to dig into my first big piece of pine and it's a lot
different that working with basswood....but I think my piece is kinda rotten. Keep the
good works coming!

B

I think it turned out great too! Maybe you should carve more pine, it is good training..We hereby sentence you to 30 days of carving nothing but yellow pine, or until you find some redeeming nature of the stuff.

M

Thanks for the props guys. You are way way too kind. Yeah, I probably went too dark Lake. I'll take you up on the color you recommended for the next ones.

I already started a new Palm log. It felt like butter. MMMMMmmm butter. This one is a bit different as far as design though.

Sentence accepted (once these 2 other palm carvings are done). I have blades dedicated to palm and blades dedicated to "other"

Redeeming nature of yellow Pine = Firewood carved into 12" lengths for the pit

Mahalo

well the stain didnt turn out bad. it looks really good. i like the belly on him. good job on it

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Sep 5, 2006 3:18 PM

New one. Kinda Bosko ish...Mahalo

T

Nice work McT! Your carves are really nice. What's up with the one in the background there, with the coconut shells? Did you do that?

M

Thanks TikiGap. Yes the MerTikis were my Wahine's idea. Here's the thread for them

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20817&forum=7&14

Started my first Tang and it's a gift, so, naturally, it turned out nice and I want to keep it. I'll post up some pics tonight.

Thanks again.

Mahalo

McTiki

Nice work on the latest one McTiki...he looks right at home with Mertiki. Has a little bit
of the Bosko look, but that's sorta "vintage" by now isn't it? Looks great...anxious to see
your Tang.

B

Looks great McTiki, but it's no "Mer-tiki" LOL.. Nice to see you carving more though and I'm sorry I missed you Saturday!! Next time.

M

Thank you Conga & Ben. Yeah, its no MerTiki. I was just validating new tools that I was introduced to recently. Awesome ease of shaping anything makes a difference.
From the electric saws I was using before to this. Wow. This is as fun as it gets. Of course, I haven't tried a Foredom so I am probably full of crap huh?

Thanks again!

McTiki

M

Passion vine with fruit!

A little over 25 inches tall

Lots of work left but I got rained out

Mahalo

McTiki

oh man looking good. yes rain can suck sometimes. cant wait for more.
keep us posted man.

Very cool so far , and your yard looks awesome.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 8:28 PM

McTiki,

It looks like you have a wild one on your hands. He looks hungry! I can't wait to see where you take him. Great start on this guy!

-Gman

M

Operation Gift Tangaroa complete !

Lessons learned…Use measurement devices…Always!

2 coats of ‘Minwax’ Jacobean (new color!)

Don’t know whether to poly him or not

Thanks for looking!

Mahalo

McTiki

H

I love it! I'll give you my address so you know where to send him!

On 2006-09-16 10:23, McTiki wrote:
Operation Gift Tangaroa complete !

McTiki

McTiki, this one is very cool!!! love the detail

Amy

M

Thanks Heath & Queen K! I appreciate the props.

Today's efforts were to re-do an older carving that was done with a chain saw and looked like it too.

He weighs about 120#.....Yes Ben, yellow pine.

I like him way better now.

Mahalo

McTiki

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-09-21 16:37 ]

Yea! Back to the pine!

Love the Tang McTiki. Nice work! Very animated.

Jacobean has always been my favorite for Tangs. I use it on the big ones and the necklace idols.

B

Lookin good Andy,. I Really Love the yellow pine,,,,When someone else is carving it!Nice tiki

M

Thanks Lake/Ben

Tough stuff this yellow pine.

Alot of detail is missed with the lighting I took the photos in. I'll stain him up tonight and get better perspective of the cuts in the pictures. The Wahine said we need a bowl carved out of the top of his head as he will be a store display in the near future. I have just the tool. More pics later today. Thanks again guys.

Mahalo

McTiki

M

Well heres the bowl progress. This stuff is freekin tuff! I do love the smell of burning pine sap though! I'll sand him up and stain Sunday. It's cool! The resin dust doesn't get airborne!

Ben, am I done with my penance?

Mahalo!

McTiki

J

On 2006-09-16 10:23, McTiki wrote:

This one turned out great. It's got some personality. I am going to have to look for that color stain. The color is perfect.

As far as the bowl-head. You did a nice job, but I think pine is great to carve.

JP

M

Thank you JohnnyP !!! The bowl is not complete yet. I will finish buff him Sunday, He'll turn out fine. Pine sands soooo sweetly.

Mahalo

McTiki

M

9/24/2006 Update .... Glossy!!! Man this guy is heavy!

Mahalo

McTiki

McTiki, the Tang is really great. I love the little hands - tons of character on that one! The 2-tone on the yelow pine piece came out sweet too.

Looking good. The Tang has a lot of character and I love the stain job on the Bowl Tiki.

Beauty. What's goin in the bowl?

B

McTiki, you Really finished that Yellow pine up nicely. And I Really love tha Tangy guy. Something different about him that is Really cool and endearing. We need to see MORE like these.
(when the yellow pine is cured a bit, it doesn't carve too bad does it?)

M

Aaron/Aloha/Surfin & Ben, Thanks for the replies/Props

Surfin- Merchandise goes in the bowl, more than likely it will be wine glass charms or something small.

Ben, I'm starting a Marq small one at first then mucho grande. Thanks again. Yes the "traditionals" are going to start coming out. I have yet to do a large Moai. Yes the pine is very cured it's just very hard compared to what I am used to. I have a pile to go yet. No worries there.

Lono is forthcoming as well.

The Wahine ran into a bit of Boo today average size was 4-6 inches dia X > 6 ft lengths WOOT!!!

Mahalo!

McTiki

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-09-25 13:45 ]

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-09-25 14:40 ]

M

Newest ... A Marquesan in the works.

He's rough, but, he's escaping

Mahalo

McTiki

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-09-30 15:28 ]

M

Houston? We have a problem! Spanked him on the ground to knock some dust off and whammo! damn log broke at the base.

Gorrila to the rescue...

Only got the details filled in. Stain tomorrow.

Mahalo

McTiki

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies