Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

McTiki ** New pics 02/03 New Mask!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies

B

Lookin Cool MacT, too bad about the broken leg, but he will heal.

I

OH NOOOO...no spankin' !!! ooooohhhh Tiki god get mad with you..quick !! give him a sacrifice..any maiden. Kiddin' aside..doesn't gorilla glue expand as it dries??? it has for me. oh well, he'll just have bigger feet. LOL
Keep up the great work.

TG

You da man. Lookin' good there bro'. Broken tiki? Should of used the white pine log....tee-hee. Next time maybe eh? I know you'll get around to it.

Back from San Fran last Monday. Heading back Wednesday for services.....I'll PM ya and fill you in.

Be cool, G.

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Oct 2, 2006 4:36 PM

Ben, Isle, and Tiki G, Thanks.

Yes, the white pine is right around the corner (provided Ben has reduced my Yellow Pine sentence)

Gorrila does expand, but, in this case it's welcome.

TG looking forward to your PM, give Trish a big hug. Did you get a chance to go to TV?

The Tiki nurses are helping him now that he has stain and big feet. Alas, he won't ever be sold as he is a misfit Tiki. He's with his Ohana.

Mahalo

McTiki

With a view like that, no wonder he has such a cheeky grin! Great looking piece! Tama

I

Well I think he came out just fine..I think all tikis should have a story.

One eye's taking in the view on the left, and the other eye's got things covered on the right. Smartly built tiki.
Seriously, love the depth you got in the eyes, looks great.

B

McTiki, Yes, you did great and he looks happier than most tikis and for good reason.
Nice stuff there!

Nice job- Really like how you did the eyes..

Hellooooo Nurse!

M
McTiki posted on Sat, Oct 7, 2006 2:38 PM

My first Lono still in progress...He's 36" and yellow pine (Ben is grinning)

We found a crapload of coconuts today too !

Moai sign done

Mahalo

McTiki

I

Hey Mc.. that Lono is looking good..makes me jealous he's so skinny..

[ Edited by: IsleConch 2006-10-09 19:37 ]

M

Thanks Isle. He was an enemic peice of 5 inch dia yellow pine. He's got a little definition now.

Now on to the big one...

Thanks again!

Mahalo

McTiki

T

Nice progress on that lono!

M

I'm starting to appreciate the pine! Mahalo

Thanks TikiGap

McTiki

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Oct 11, 2006 5:07 AM

Way to go McTiki! So, was this your first go at that pine? Does Gary have you hooked :D Do you prefer a harder wood to the palm? I'm sure this guy will be in great company with your mermaids and Tang. Nice job!

-Gman

Thats a fine addition to bar. I wouldn't mind sippin a cocktail next to this guy!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Oct 11, 2006 1:02 PM

Nice work, I like the delicate piercing on the head-dress, and the contrast on the eyes looks great! What's up next?

That is a very nice finished Lono Mc. I'm workin' on the drawings for my Tiki jack-o-lanterns that I'm doin on two foam pumpkins. I'll post pics.

M

GMAN: I certainly prefer carving substance vs powder yes. I'll find out soon how I'm likin the White pine!

Aloha: Thanks and we are always open for ya! (I mean that!)

Paipo: Thank you for admiring my crude interpretation of what you masterfully carve with ease. Mahalo!

Isle: Thank you. Now show us the drawings! Oh and don't just allocate your budding techniques to vegatables either! Turn one of those logs loose!

Thanks for the props. Much inspired by all of you.

Well I have moved on to the white Pine Log Tiki G brought me. I had contemplated in both libation and in sobriety what to make of it, or what to release!
I made some basic templates from 1/8th in. plywood and applied them.

And of course, the Friday evening shot of McTiki’s

Mahalo

McTiki

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-10-13 15:27 ]

B

Looking good MCTiki. "bout time you did some work there.

Awesome yard/bar and kickass tikis! Keep up the great carvings.

ST

M

Thanks Ben! Thanks ST!

The White pine rocks! It's like butter!

I'll post when I am confident. It's comin along.

Mahalo!

Tiki G...We gotta talk!

McTiki

You sir, are on fire! They Lono looks great and the outlined pieces will be interesting to watch as they emerge. I guess there is an abundant supply of that white pine down there? My only experience with it was at Coon-Tiki. It's interesting to see how you are experimenting with laying down the outlines in different ways. Sharpie or spray paint & stencil - which is working best for you? I'm always curious about everyones methods!

Cheers, Mc!

Aaron

Interesting way to see the form before carving..

Great looking backyard! The fountain looks great now with all the folliage surrounding it- a nice piece of paradise.

Hey Mc...the template effects looks good as it is... But I'm sure it'll look better when you put your carve on. I'm really tryin' to get these pumpkin carvins goin, but I've been distracted. Gotta get goin b-4 Halloween.

...."The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"...Einstein

Oh ..and that retreat is just gorgeous..your foliage has really filled in..how do you do it??

[ Edited by: IsleConch 2006-10-16 09:28 ]

TG

Coolio. So you are liking the white pine eh? Let's see some pics if you can stop long enough to take a few!

Sent you an e-mail to jstirish.

I'm curious.. where does one go, to get white pine in SFL? My neighbor cut down a pine tree in his yard and was almost arrested for it (pines are protected in SFL).

B

Unless it was a Sugar pine, the yelows aren't protected. most localaties have rules wher you Must get a permit to cut down ANY Tree no matter what it is. The Sabal/cabbage is protected in some counties and is the state tree I believe. Yellow pines are free to good carvers. McTiki Loves carving the stuff and might trade you some for some of that lousy white pine when you find it up north.
Ha

M

Aaron- Many thanks sir. I am just getting used to the spray/stencil thingy. I come back later and sharpie the $hit out of it once I figure out where the lines really go.

Capt & Skully - Thanks alot! The foliage is mainly Passion vine along with jasmine and some other things that will be revealed later :wink: All my Wahine's effort and thumbs.

Isle Conch - Thanks again Isle. Can'5t wait to see the Veggie Tikis...I wonder if there is a way to preserve pumpkin flesh?

Tiki G - I absolutely covet the fact thet you get to carve on this stuff all the time. I needs me a hook up! And a road trip is not out of the question. We have to tour a storefront in Ormond Bch this weekend. We'll talk!

Aloha - Tiki G has to bring it down the peninsula from his private stash lol (White pine is not indigenous here)

Ben - Yeah I so amped to be whackin on the yellow stuff. It excites me to my spiritual core. But, yes, I would begrudgingly let some go in trade for Basswood or White pine indeed.

Updates on the White Pine:

Mahalo

McTiki

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-10-16 14:04 ]

TG

Looking good! I think you likes the stuff. Less messy huh...and no splinters, or rotten wood, or mold, or extra weight, or stripping, or finding. You just have to pay to get it here. That's the only downfall, but it's worth it.

Ormond Beach huh? Give us a call.

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2006-10-16 15:02 ]

M

It's (White Pine) like carver's crack! i needs more! This is the shizzle! The tools laugh at it!

That Tiki is turnin' out good...I'm carvin' carvable foam pumpkins so they'll last a long time and as Halloween nears I'll carve real veggies..I love to roast the seeds and make pie from the guts. Keep posting those pics..it's like being there with ya.

Hey Mc..I'm really working on my drawings..here's some stuff..and the victim foam pumpkins

...Also here's the logs in my backyard...just waitin' till I have time for them...

M

Thanks!

Nice Pumpkins!

2nd (bottom sheet), middle row, left side. Me likey!

Score a centerline down one of the logs. Start transferring that face to it with a big ole fat sharpie!

I agree. Sort of reminds me of the "Tongue Tiki" at Caliente Tropics.

I think we need a dedicated IsleConch thread, complete with progress shots on those palm logs.

B

Looks like you are doing really well with that second class white pine. It Does carve sweeter than that old Yellow stuff you're trying to pawn off on peeps. More Pix is what we need.

Thanx Mc and Akua..I drew those one nite when I was inspired.. and then I've been quite busy travelin' around. Once I start making progress often, I'll title a thread with the pics.

Nice chops Mc.

Pine Pine Pine.

Still lots here. Almost all we gots. So much I turn it away. The old forests have been replaced by tree farms.

You should see 'em in Northern Wisconsin hauling it by the truckload to the paper mills... I look at it and say, "There go a load of tikis."
Poor guys, they have no idea they're going to be made into toilet paper.

To bad you guys have to pay for it... had I an easier way I send you all you wanted!

Keep up the great work!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-10-19 21:38 ]

B

Cool. Lake, Think of a tiki as another tree saved from the toilet paper factory?

M

Thanks Aaron, Ben, Isle, and Lake!

Didn't do too much this weekend.

MaHalo

McTiki

T

Mctiki,
Very handsome tikis! & I love the tiki backyard/landscape/bar that you & the Wahine have put together-I especially love the tropical gardening touches-I hope my backyard looks as nice someday....the way you have worked together the fountain/bar/seating is wonderful, I hope you're enjoying it!...Thistle

It's amazing how different it looks after sanding, I did notice some changes. It's looking great.

J

McTiki Keep carving. Your layout work on that tiki looks great.

IsleConch
Start carving and show us these logs. As you show it is a good idea to keep your logs tied up, there's wild tikis inside just trying to escape.

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-10-23 17:46 ]

You're right Johnny.. I did notice those logs are gettin' restless, I think they change positions at nite. That's why I put a rope around them.

Here's my latest creations...to be applied to the foam pumpkins.

T

That guy is looking good! The wood is nice!

On 2006-10-16 15:30, McTiki wrote:
It's (White Pine) like carver's crack! i needs more! This is the shizzle! The tools laugh at it!

Well I gotta get me some of that crack then! Speaking of crack, how does it dry out? How old is that log? Any bad checks or cracks? Or is it buying crack with bad checks? :wink:

I got a bunch of that wood... some of it might be dry, too. I'll have to try that out this weekend...

M

Thistle - Welcome to TC! Thanks for the props!

Isle - Thanks again. You should start your own thread now as nobody will know who you are within mine. They'll think you are my sister or sumthin. lol. Carve already! Your poor logs are lonely for some steel affection.

Johnny P - Thanks again brah.

Gap - "I got a bunch of that wood... some of it might be dry, too." What would it take to get you to palletize about 6 ~ 8 5 footers and beam them here? I'm already jonzin for more. No checks, drys nice (in >30 % humidity)but, does crack slightly. These look kiln dried. Don't know the age as bro Tiki G brought it down from his stash.

Mahalo

McTiki

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies