Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

FLOATS WITH LIGHTS

Pages: 1 22 replies

would you guys rather have a 115 volt light in your floats( think a christmas light) or a d.c.light with a transformer and about a 5 foot cord?(the 115v light and cord is cheaper but the wire is thicker).i just got some cobalt blue floats with hangers i will convert soon.

L
laney posted on Thu, Dec 19, 2002 4:18 AM

How much would you charge to just cut the hole in the float? I'd like some larger floats cut with about 4"-6" across holes in them. I could even bring them to you.

why do you want such large holes?. with a small hole, you can install a 25 watt bulb!. all you need is about an inch and an eighth.maybe $10 max per hole, it depends on the thickness of the glass and if it has a colored coating on the outside.i have an ikea lamp with a 25W bulb(1"dia.) that lights up the room!.

Yo Erich, What are you selling these 110v floats for? A barter?

it depends on how finished you want them.all i have left to do is coat the inside of the float with matching color paint and they are 100% finished.for a 5" red or blue with light and cord about $25.00.i just got a 10" cobalt blue i am doing this week if interested.

I'd say the big one in cobalt. Call me?

What about 60 or 100-watt lights
Also I think sandblasting is the best way that’s the way they used to do them at Oceanic arts

Also I think after you sandblast them you could put a coat of Phosphorescent so it would stand out more

i thought of sand blasting but these are all netted!, and as i can't sew for sh-t, i am working around the net so as not to ruin.i will try paint on the inside and let you know.

when I said sandbalast sandblast the inside!

sorry I should be more clear

i tried the inside and it just flies around!,i will make a nozzle and try it.

yo chiki, remind me by email, we can barter no prob.i often forget to check these threads,sorry.

There's a liquid glass etching gel available that could be used to frost the inside of the float. It is a chemical that actually etches the glass, not a paint. It is applied with a brush or squeegee, allowed to sit for its recommended time, and then rinsed off.

Heres' some available:

EtchAll Glass Etching Cream

Armour Etch

And with some creative self stick vinyl work, you could even etch in tapa designs or Tiki images!

:tiki:

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2002-12-30 17:38 ]

the only problem with etching for me is it only works when the glass is colored. most of the floats out there are plastic coated on the inside or outside. tomorrow i am trying a paint to the inside which i noticed is another old time trick .i will try this etch on some high$$ floats when i find some.thanks for the tip.

I hope to be getting two glass fishing floats and converting them to lights I will tell you how they turn out if they turn out

well the paint was a wash!(no good dat one). i was using enamel(spray)DOH!. what paint sticks to glass??.

T

Maybe try this stuff... its made for glass or plastic:

Krylon Frosted Glass Finish

:tiki:

use glass paint go to a stained glass place they should know how to etch weird curves an what paint to use on glass

the glass is frosted(glass beaded), now i gotta try some color.

When sand blasting, what medium was used? And did you do this yourself or at a shop? Cheers

D

I have a huge red float that I've been dying to put a small puffer fish lamp inside, but I'm so afraid of breaking it, that I haven't tried to cut a hole in it.

S

On 2006-10-30 08:50, Digitiki wrote:
I have a huge red float that I've been dying to put a small puffer fish lamp inside, but I'm so afraid of breaking it, that I haven't tried to cut a hole in it.

A wise move. It will break if you try to drill or cut it.

Hey twowheelin'tiki, if you make some of the 10in float in red/blue/green I'd be interested in buying some. Let me know. Cheers.

Hey folks! you can make lights with your globes:

Kon- give me a few weeks to a month - I'll get back to you

Pages: 1 22 replies