Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Pictures of New England by Zaya

Pages: 1 12 replies

Z
Zaya posted on Wed, Jul 26, 2006 1:09 PM

I just got back from vacation in New England, and saw a lot of interesting sights. There are a lot of various pictures, but I was surprised to come across so many cool carvings along the way! It's fun to check out different styles of art.

Cape Cod Canal (With the Sagamore Bridge in the back ground)

Cape Cod marsh land

Church steeple in Sandwich, Cape Cod

Trout feeding frenzy at the hatchery in Sandwich

View from the Dexter Grist Mill in Sandwich

Scargo Lake in Dennis, Cape Cod

Swans on Scargo Lake

Swinging at Scargo Lake

Cool yellow bird

Beautiful blue hydrangea's everywhere!

The pirates have landed! Provincetown, Cape Cod

Skull mask in P-town

Steeple in Provincetown, Cape Cod

The Tower in Provincetown

The White Mountains in New Hampshire

Eagle carving in New Hampshire (front)

Back

Tree face mask in New Hampshire

Tiki's in NH!

Another NH tiki

NH bear carvings

NH totem pole

A picture that my Dad painted in 1971 hanging in my Uncle's house in Maine.

Fanuel Hall, Boston

Self explanitory

Swan boat in the Public Garden in Boston

Beautiful Willow trees surrounded the pond the Swan boats were in.

You can't go to Boston without visiting Cheers!

Check out this mad Atlantic surf! We're not in California anymore!

I hope you enjoy!

Zaya

I enjoyed. Thanks!
By any chance can you remember what city that NH Tiki Carver was in? Or a name?

Z
Zaya posted on Wed, Jul 26, 2006 1:36 PM

Hi Granite Tiki! Unfortunately I didn't get the name of the carvers or the town, but we came across these two guys carving with chainsaws along the side of the road while driving along Route 16 coming from North Conway. If you want to PM me I'll give you the exact directions for the route we took. I know you're not far from there!

Thanks,
Zaya

J

Nice pics Zaya. I was just at the carver's place a couple of weeks ago while camping near Mt. Madness. I'm so used to just seeing totems, bears and eagles that the tikis took me by surprise.

Granite the carver is at a road side stand maybe 5 or so miles north of the route 16/25 junction (stay on 16). There's a small fireworks store right next door and a go cart track nearby as well.

H

Zaya, thanks for the pictures.They bring back memories. By the way you take really nice pictures.

B

Hey Zaya, Welcome back at least part way. Nice pic's but I see NONE of Maori drawings or burnings, what have you been doing, On Vacation or something? HAahaahaa finish your holiday and get back a day late, but think Maori when you get back.

Z
Zaya posted on Wed, Jul 26, 2006 9:58 PM

Johnman - Thanks for the compliment on the pictures! Hey, that's cool that you were there just a couple of weeks ago too. Actually the day I took these in NH was Saturday July 15th. Who knows, we could have walked right past each other. I would have been the blonde California girl that looked out of place in the mountains of New Hampshire. I tried to fit in, but for some reason everyone stared at us all the time. Maybe it was the camera in my hand that had "Tourist" written all over it that was a dead giveaway! :)

Hiltiki - Hi! Thanks for the compliment too! I'm excited that you found my pictures! I'm really looking forward to meeting you one of these days soon. We can sip Mai Tai's and talk about all your memories of New England while we watch Buzzy work! Sounds fun! :)

Benzart - Hi to you too! Great to hear from you. Well I'm officially back, and yes, the guilt is setting in. I thought I'd have all this time to draw while I was on vacation, and unfortunately we were running around like crazy. So many places to go and people to see. I was only able to do two drawings on my trip, and I posted them on my regular thread in Other Crafts. I really had fun doing them, and am excited to start on some new ones real soon. One thing that was great about my trip was that it seemed like everywhere I looked I saw different carving creations. Being able to watch Buzzy work, and being involved in TC has made me so aware and on the look out for this kind of art. Every time I turned around I saw something new. It was really cool. I hope you're feeling good!

Thanks to all,
Zaya

On 2006-07-26 21:58, Zaya wrote:

We can sip Mai Tai's and talk about all your memories of New England while we watch Buzzy work! Sounds fun! :)

Zaya:
You have plenty of time to sit on your ass and watch me work now...YOU'RE FIRED!!
Meet your replacement:

While you were on vacation, I made this to handle my business affairs. The backing board was made in China and I added bamboo and ropes to it. You've been outsourced! For $23.95!
I'm going to start making custom versions of bulletin boards and calendars like this. This one will be the first in the catalog and will be stock number- Kimber #1

Sounds fun!
Buzzy

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-07-27 00:15 ]

Z
Zaya posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 2:07 AM

FINALLY! I've been waiting to have free time to do my own work! You're not the only artist around here you know! :) Benzart will be happy to see me working more on my Maori inspired drawings and tattoo burning.

Speaking of! Check out my thread in Other Crafts to see a couple of pieces of bamboo that I burned tattoos on tonight. Here's the link...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20138&forum=18&15

Zaya

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 5:23 AM

Pics = :)

Those carvings are cool - especially the tree face one.

When is ya dad gonna paint some tropical island scenes? Hes had plenty of practice since '71 :) Seriously, thats a nice painting though.

Z
Zaya posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 3:11 PM

Hi Hewey! Thanks for the compliments! Yes, my dad's a really talented artist. He paints and draws, and to top it off he's an amazing piano player. He could give Jerry Lee Lewis a run for his money! Would you believe that he's never had a art or music lesson in his life? He's completely self taught, and plays the piano by ear. He played music for a living and is retired now. Doesn't it sound like a dream job? He says it's as if he never had to work a day in his life because he did something he loved to do. If we could all be so lucky! I wish he would paint more, but hasn't for a while. Here's some picture of other paintings he did that I have here in my house. (Shameless plug for my dad!) :)

I like to think that I get my art and musical talents from him. It's something that just runs in the blood! Thanks for asking about him. I'll see if I can persuade him to do something tropical!

Zaya

P.S. In 1959 my dad and his band band recorded a 45 with two songs featuring him on piano. One was called "What a Dolly", and the other one was called "Hot Rod"! I figured you'd like that one! :)

[ Edited by: Zaya 2006-07-27 15:21 ]

You forgot the Harry Paul and Red Checkers album on Ape Records...

Harry and Red...

Buzzy

Z
Zaya posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 4:24 PM

Buzzy you're so good, thanks!

Yes, Buzzy put out this live cd of my dad (Harry) and Red on his record label Ape Records. They played music together for over 20 years, and it made many of their loyal fans very happy.

Here's a picture of the Hot Rod 45.

Zaya

Pages: 1 12 replies