Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki knife

Pages: 1 14 replies

Hello,

I have been amazed at the talent here on this forum, but more so the willingness to help each other here. Real artists sharing with others who wish to achieve the same level of artistry. Great stuff!

Anyway, I just registered tonight after drooling over all the pictures of the tiki carvings. I found this site because I have been asked to make a custom knife for a Tiki bar and have really no idea how to carve anything, let alone a piece of art like you folks do. I probably have any tool required for the job or can get it. I'm not too worried about that part. I suspect the tools are not as important as the skill developed from a fair amount of practice and understanding. Thats the way I find it is with a lot of things anyway :).

My idea is to make the handle material a tiki totem and forge a hidden tang knife blade to go in the handle. Other details I will skip because they aren't all that interesting. Trouble is, I've never carved anything! OK, I made a wooden pirate sword for one of my kids once, but thats about it!

I wish to use black walnut as a handle material because its strong and I have some available. Is it a decent wood for carving? Is there a certain type of tiki that would lend itself to this application? I figure it should be about 1.5" in diameter and about 6" long. I was leaning towards an Easter Island stone head type of thing. Please pardon me for being a noob and not knowing the terminology.

Whatdoyathink? Regards,

Kurt

After locating the search button on the forum, I found that a lot of you use black walnut.

I have seen carved knife handles but have no idea how they are done. Sounds like a great idea.

Be sure to post pics of it for all of us to see as you make it.
Welcome aboard.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 1:39 PM

Look at AlohaStation's thread and check out his pens.....that's the way to go for the knife :wink: That boy's a star! Maybe you can sub the carving part out to him?

-Gman

Rodeotiki,

Thank you for the welcome. I will post a picture when completed. Who knows maybe other tiki fans will want to make their own knives as well after seeing this silly production of mine!

Gman,

I looked at those beautiful pens and had thought about farming this out several times while looking at them (and some of the other work). However, part of the interesting part of a knife for some is that the maker did it all him/herself. Maybe in my case it will be the bloodletting that makes it interesting, but lets hope not. All I know about carving is that I'll be wearing a welding glove on my left hand and start hacking away with the right... Wish me luck

Kurt

B

Welcome to TC Horseman1, glad to have you aboard. Join the long list of droolers here, we all do it regularly.
You have found that black walnut is carvable and you found right. My suggestion would be to actually make your knife handles out of clay first because you can shape it so many diffrent ways until you have the look you are looking for. Then just transfer the image to the wood. Cut your blanks on a table saw to the correct dimeasions. Photograph your clay pieces and print them out the correct size which may take some trial and error. Then choose your tools (mine would be the hook knife) and start cutting. The Easter Island Moai looks Much simpler to carve than it is so beware, it can be frustrating. Post pictures and ask questions and we will help as much as possible. Most of all, enjoy it. Have Fun.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 2:01 PM

Yeah man, good answer. Have at it and show us what you are up to along the way! PM me if you wanna discuss anything (like stupid carving qustions)...

-Gman

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 2:32 PM

Horseman1, flynny is also a knifemaker and carver - I don't know if he's done any tiki themed knives, but he may have some ideas. As everyone has said, post pics as you go, I'd love to see how this turns out. Is it going to be a functional citrus-hewing weapon or a wall piece?

I was told it should be at home scalping pineapples, but look a little dangerous. I'm thinking a medium-large thin blade, Tiki handle, coral composite spacer and a mukume of copper and nickel finger guard. The butt plate should be white bone with a black skull scrimshaw. Easy for me to imagine, difficult for me to do!

I already have a hoof knife, will that work?? Just kidding, I'll pick up a hook knife on my way home tonight.

Thanks for the advise and encouragement. I need both!

Kurt

[ Edited by: horseman1 2006-07-27 15:09 ]

F

Hi Guys
As Paipo mentioned I make knives and also carve a little, this thread has really touched a nerve, I started to carve a Moai handle for a full tang knife (part of the blade goes inside the handle) out of Irish Bog Oak, hard as a dogs head. I use Warren knives as mentioned on other carving threads, the Oak is too hard and I'm debating whether to make this a small carving.
My advice would be to choose a slightly softer wood, file or plane to slightly larger than intended use i.e. oval, then work with hook knive to desired shape (not as I did and pick a rock hard wood and work from a square profile)
I am also intending to use either black buffalo horn or ivory as the ferrule or guard to protect slipping fingers.
If your after a blade blank, there are plenty of options in the States on Ebay.
The knives I normally make are either Bushcraft / Drop Point Hunters or Finnish knives.
Once I sort the picture loading I'll post a pic of the part finished handle, or PM me your email and I'll send the pics to you.
By the way Paipo, did you get the book info and knife pics I sent you.
Regards
Flynny

Sorted a pic, the photo is crap not much detail, that's after about 2 hours, these are the tools I am using, the blade is an original "Lammi" finnish blade from 1928, the disc is the Buffalo horn.

[ Edited by: flynny 2006-07-28 12:46 ]

H

The future owner has decided that the Moai handle would not be as usable as he would like. I was not about to argue with him since my attempts so far were rather crude (not like flynnys beautiful job!). Therefore, we have decided to make a more traditional shaped handle with a tiki carved into the handle. This will allow the knife to be more usable for its intended purpose and retain the theme. I have it carved and roughly sanded, and when I stop to get batteries for the digital camera will provide a picture of my first attempt at a tiki carved handle. Don't get your hopes up :)

Gman has helped me via a personal message along the way and I have only lost a very small amount of blood so far. I ended up carving it with an Xacto knife, since my woodcrafters store in Colorado Springs didn't know what a hook knife was and I sure couldn't be of any help!

Regards,

Kurt

H

Here is my first attempt at carving anything. I think it will be OK after I clean it up some and get some oil on it. The other side is getting something special.....

H

Maybe I had better pay someone else to do this? !! :) Got any suggestions?

[edit] Nevermind, I bought one on ebay and I think my carving days are over (as short as they were!)

Regards,

Kurt

[ Edited by: horseman1 2006-08-03 21:54 ]

F

Horseman
Everyone has to start somewhere, don't give up. I struggled to get the right profile and fit etc, almost gave up until I saw your post, it gave me encouragement to finish the project.
If you fancy doing another or finishing the one you have started PM me and I'll help in anyway I can.
Great 1st job.
Regards
Flynny
P.S. What did you end up buying from ebay??

H

Hi flynny,

I bid on a tiki suitable for a handle off of ebay. The good news is that the guy I carved seems to have an ability to ward off computer problems :). Sorta like a rubber chicken! One of my friends has him now. I think he will be quite busy for the rest of his life being passed around at work. Thanks to all who helped me.

Regards,

Kurt

Pages: 1 14 replies