Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Central Documentary

Pages: 1 23 replies

Not sure how to start this discussion so these ideas might seem random.

Many of you know that I have been working on a Tiki Central Documentary on and off for the past 3 years.

I have event footage from a number of Tiki events where Tiki Central folk represent a strong percentage of the attendees.

-Oasis 2003, 2005, 2006
-Hukilau 2005
-International Tiki Day 2003, 2004, 2005
-OC Beach Burn 2004
-SF Crawl 2005
-NW Tiki Kon 2006
-Kon Tiki, AZ

• Plus many home parties and miscellanea

To connect the events together with a storyline I have been conducting interviews since 2004 and have at least 30 interviews under my belt. These interviews have taken me into the homes of many TC contributors over the years including, Bigbro, TikiTony, Unga Bunga, Dr. Z, Al-ii, Tiki Maxton, Puamana & Selector Lopaka, Swampfire, Onatiki, Munktiki etc.

To represent the geographic diversity of our group I have made every effort to get interviews with the geographically distant folks (distant to me). Lake Surfer, Tiki Wahine, Virani and more. I am planning a trip to Florida later this year to get our Floridian friends involved and hope to travel to the SF Bay area again also.

I hope to have it done by Oasis of next year.

Unlike other documentaries in the works or past I am trying to focus on the interpersonal relationships that exist as a result of internet connectivity. It will definitely be about tiki but it will be about tiki as our group decifers and implements it. In other words it will only feature visible personalities that have been on this board at one point or another (many have faded a bit)

I am working on the script to ensure some form of continuity but I am asking for input as to what you would want to see in a documentary about.... US.

I will also need access to original music and artwork as well as someone who might know a professional DVD duplicator.

I am still crafting my strategy so input is appreciated.

The content from these interviews will be divided into the most popular forums on TC. Artist interviews will fall into Creating, Home Bars will fall into Collecting and Locating (you get the idea).

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2006-07-31 13:04 ]

Cant wait to see it.
If theres anything I can do please let me know.

tell me what would be interesting to see? Peoples home bars in detail? Someones 3faced mug collection? More people talking or less people talking?

What do you seek?

In many respects the content will parallel Tiki Magazine so I want to present it in a way thats different. Its not a sales brochure for why TC is "all that" but its the only way I could think of that would limit it.

Right now 80% of what I have taped no one will ever see due to the editing process/ratio

Here's an interview question for all of you.

What will you remember about this period in your life?

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2006-07-31 14:30 ]

I can't wait to see it either. I don't know how I can help, but I am absolutely willing to do so if you need me.

What I do know is that TC very literally changed my life. I've met so many great people and I've traveled to places I never would have visited. I'm carving tiki pendants and learning the ukulele. I remodeled my basement into a tiki bar and am even giving a shot at learning Hawaiian. All of this is due to the wonderful folks of Tiki Central. I live in Milwaukee, so it isn't a part of the culture here, not even the tiniest bit. I can't drive over to the local bar and order a Mai Tai (go ahead, I dare you) or hang out with my 1,500 friends at the next tiki event. TC is all I got and I'm so grateful it's here. Mahalo! :D :drink: :tiki:

you want geographic diversity? I got yer diversity right HERE!

There has been a group of folks in New England who get together now in the land that tiki forgot. Perhaps that is of interest.

--sbim

I wish I could get to all corners of the globe but alas its not a reality.

Keep doing what you are doing in New England.

T

Maybe you could get together with some of us outlanders who attend the Hukilau this year. Although you'll have to catch me early before I get too festive.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 31, 2006 6:14 PM

On 2006-07-31 14:43, finkdaddy wrote:
I can't wait to see it either. I don't know how I can help, but I am absolutely willing to do so if you need me.

What I do know is that TC very literally changed my life. I've met so many great people and I've traveled to places I never would have visited. I'm carving tiki pendants and learning the ukulele. I remodeled my basement into a tiki bar and am even giving a shot at learning Hawaiian. All of this is due to the wonderful folks of Tiki Central. I live in Milwaukee, so it isn't a part of the culture here, not even the tiniest bit. I can't drive over to the local bar and order a Mai Tai (go ahead, I dare you) or hang out with my 1,500 friends at the next tiki event. TC is all I got and I'm so grateful it's here. Mahalo! :D :drink: :tiki:

Finky nailed it pretty well. Despite not being that far from NZ or the islands, tiki is non existent in Australia really. I am now hooked on tiki and looking at selling tiki stuff when I get good enough... TC gives me my fix. Ever been away from TC for a while (eg. holidays?) you're itching to get back and see what folks like bamboo ben, Sam Gambion and Benzart have created this time, catch up on your mates projects.

Id always drawn and stuff, but never considered myself an 'artist'. Artists were wankers who charged $100,000 for a canvas painted stark white (yes, that did happen!). When I joined TC I found a muse for my creativity - and multiple mediums to have a go at.I dont consider myself proficient at any of them, but HELL - Im having fun!

I also know that when I get the cash up to go to the US I already have a number of Mai Tais waiting for me! And that is what makes the tiki folks so special - a willingness to share. Just look at the Purple Jade mug and how much folks raised for her. Its the tiki peeps that are special - TC just provides an excellant venure for us to get together!

These posts have reminded me of something that I tend to forget myself too often, and that I think your documentary would benefit from:

In concentrating on finding the best Tiki imagery, I forget to show the OTHER side of reality that actually makes Tiki stand out: The everyday-humdrum-mini mall-chain store-middle of the road-America that has developed around us. After all, it was the seemingly absurd juxtaposition of 50s redneck suburbanites next to pagan idols which got me into this in the first place.

To show what an ESCAPE Tiki is today, you should show some of the other side. Though you might think this goes beyond the Tiki Central focus of your piece, the above posts prove that it represents the reality of a large part of the TC community. I am not saying to go overboard on it, but to remind people here and there of the context that the Tiki lifestyle exists in today, and is in contrast to, would intensify the effect of it all.

Which is a challenge. To shoot eye-popping Tiki collections is easy, but to find images that symbolize today's generic-ness in a concise and universal way is tricky.
Wal-mart stores? Starbucks? McMansions?

I you find a good stretch, drive-bys of malls could work...WITH shoppers...in SLOW MOTION! And "Walk-ins" into Tiki environments with a wide angle: To connect the outside reality, find a particularly modern generic exterior (like a stucco apartment bldg) and pan from the exterior to moving into someone's Tiki hideaway in one take.

Sorry, I am not telling you what to shoot, just openly brainstorming. I just always regret to not have photographed even more dilapidated Tiki temples on my expeditions, the intact ones are too easily taken for granted when seen lined up in the BOT. The same thing might happen if you see a whole hour of only Tiki revelry.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 31, 2006 6:39 PM

Oh yeh, I forgot to talk on the documentary.

To me, whatever you do like this needs to have a logical flow and order. The tiki story should slowly unravel and reveal itself as you go. It should be like an exploration!

I was thinking a logical order might be:
1 - Locating tiki. An exploration into old and established tiki stamping grounds of note. This gives the whole tiki thing a historical background and foundation. Because, this is where the current day tiki culturre has developed from. Include snipets of interviews with folks talking about how when they were kids they went to the Mai Kai or the Enchanted Tiki Room with their folks, walking along all googy-eyed.

2 - Collecting tiki. A natural extension of locating tiki. Folks loved the tiki places so much they wanted a piece to take home. Now these days there are some pretty serious collectors out there. Even look at the introduction of ebay and how it tiki colleccting has changed...

3 - Creating tiki. Well after looking at some cool tiki art, lets look at the folks nutty enough to work full time making the tiki art and wares that folks like to collect! What does creating tiki mean for them? This then meanders into folks home tiki bars - which are probably the pinnacle of tiki creations? Why do they have a backyard that looks like a tropical oasis? What do the neighbours think?

4 - tiki events. Okay, we've just looked at some cool tiki bars, whats the next logical step? Parties! Start off in home parties and then move onto big events like Tiki Oasis etc...

5 - TC ohana. Well the parties ultimately represent us getting together and having a good time. At these events many strong bonds of friendship are formed. Look at how TC folks help each other out, the respect between us. End it on a nice warm and fuzzy feeling! Folks finish off happy!

Things like tiki drinaks and food, tiki msuic can be spread through locating tiki, creating tiki, tiki events.

Anyway, thats just an idea. Just make sure it has a logical flow and isnt segmented chapters with no relation to each other. Because TC is interlinked in many ways, by many different people. But at the end of day, its the people that make this place special.

Big Bro, Fink Daddy, and Hewey,

That kind of feedback is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for.

Hewey your order of events is very similar to what I have laid out and I like the way you are thinking. Big Bro I am trying to get my arms around your concept and will see what I can do to incorporate it. I am a total script writing rookie and will continue to work on the story before I start editing.

Fink its a thought shared by many here and I hope to encapsulate it through video.

It could be a multi DVD set depending on how much quality stuff I need to cut. I dont want to leave too much out. I could do a separate feature disc on the Artists of Tiki Central?

All in the air right now. I have been reviewing content for the past week and must say there is some amazing stuff on those tapes and some very eloquently spoken ideas by a bunch of smart people.

Keep those ideas coming. What else would you like to see?

When time permits try to watch some documentaries. I just saw the punk doc again on IFC. It was still interesting. It was chronological. But, went back and forth in time when a new interviewee was introduced. The interviewee would inevitably talk about something that predates his/her history. (see Don Ho below) But, would jump to his/her relevance in history.

For example: I am new to tiki since a week before Oasis 6. I have a friend that discussed having a tiki bar a year or two ago. I asked my wife if we should change up the house in April. I said, "how about tiki?" She said "GREAT!" BAM!!10K in the hole. Two patios, one with a bar. I didn't realize how easy it is to buy so much booze!
Turns out I have three Don Ho albums. In my interview I would say that my parents were into a tropical way of life or Polynesian or beechy. I was really ready to be birthed deep in the tropis of Mexico. Always lived at the beach. Dad even has a Hawaiian ex-wife and I have two half sisters.

It'll be kinda tough to knock down interviews into small enough segments that don't seem too repetitive.

The docs on the history channel are VERY chronological. Other docs are more about the people and their experiences.

When more than one person talks about the same thing try to keep that portion of DISCUSSION together. ie: If Bongo Fury, Kick the Reverb and OnaTiki mention Martini Kings then keep that in the same segment about the current music scene. All three may just need to speek for 15 or 30 seconds each. That seems TOO small talking about it here and now but, on film it is forever.
Have fun.
http://static.flickr.com/51/144610435_e1c3b0da08_m.jpg

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-07-31 19:58 ]

HC

There's a great documentary/movie called "Vernon ,Florida"....for some reason it's quirkiness and unusual pace and sense of place..... gives the viewer a chance to "get it" and it sticks with you......It's about ordinary and not...like the contrast bigbrotiki mentions and the different and same incentives to participate in this community that hewey brings up ...in applying it to monketman's idea ,the sort of reverence/party/escape/what-a/F-en/ trip to share-it all is!......no I'm not high right now!..probably would make more sense if I were!....anyway I could see your doc., monkeyman, as a high octane/rollicking version of that style.....because of the sincerity I see here on T.C.....the "answers"(and that's all you get in this film) would be more than enough to carry it off ....and were(all) just crazy /connected enough....OH Hell ,check it out..."Vernon, Florida" Mahalo , Greg .......I Know a few (3) Vermont Tiki fans (to flesh out New England's vast contribution).

The best to you're project Monk.

tiki central has definitely changed my life. it's given me a much greater appreciation of art and culture, and i've met, on the internet and in person, amazing people i'd never have known. it made a trip to hawaii a must, to meet the great artist gecko, and visit places as diverse as the place of refuge, polynesian cultural center and don the beachcomber. it turned out to be the trip of a lifetime, because of the incredible sights we saw and the aloha hospitality of gecko and his ohana. i've met a few local tcers like aquaorama, danlovestikis and limptiki, all of whom have visited my home. tiki central has also led to friendships with generous and intelligent people like travelingjones, tiki-kate, virani, teaKEY and atomicchick. i've also developed frindships with many talented tc artists which has given me a greater appreciation of their work. they include benzart, kirby, tiki tony, freddie ballsomic, basement kahuna and paul and stuckie, etc. as you see, the list goes on and on. all frienships made because i stumbled upon tiki central. so in closing, mm, i hope your film is full of art and friendship, the two most powerful things about tiki central.

I have many interviews that echo your sentiments tiedye and most of my "color" comes from visits with the artists.

I have footage of Swampfire doing live sketches of the 3 monkeys tiki mag cover and then subsequent colorization of the image.

I have a wonderful segment on menu collecting with lots and lots of eye can. Puamana and Selector were very generous with their time.

I have extremely detailed footage of Dr Z's closed Castaway Lounge, The Lagoon Room, Trader Pups East Indies Room.

Footage of Crazy Al building a sand Moai at the OC Beach Burn.

Full documentation of the FIRST ITD at Baxdogs home in 2003.

A complete tour of the Onatiki Bar&Grill in San Diego.

Carving Demos with TikiTony, Tiki Diablo.

Exclusive footage of Iuka Grog and King Kukulele playing for the crowd on New Years eve at the Caliente Tropics. Mr. Smiley shows up in a Tuxedo and cone hat to send us off with Auld Acquaintance on Trumpet. Iuka Grogg is laughing so hard he is practically in tears.

The hard part will be paring it down into something viewable.

It could be a multi disc set where the larger forums are represented on their own disc.

Creating tiki is going to be Huge.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2006-08-01 11:09 ]

It would be fun to do a mixology clip, 'how to make a mai tai' 'creation of a garnish' 'flames and ice' or something of the like.

I have at least 3 mixology clips and two feature the Mai Tai.

One is with Dr. Z producing the traditional Trader Vics Mai Tai.

Later that day I interviews Wersmo Derinc on how to make a Mai Tai for the masses in a busy bar. Its interesting to listen how they convey totally different approaches.

We also have Kick the Reverb making a Reverb Crash and Al making a Planters punch. Lots of discussion about ingredient selection and their personal preferences for barware.

Super cool

Ahh excellent, the drinks are a big part of the tiki culture for me.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Aug 1, 2006 8:13 PM

On 2006-07-31 14:43, finkdaddy wrote:
I live in Milwaukee, so it isn't a part of the culture here, not even the tiniest bit.

It is all where you look for it. I make a tiki sale to someone in the Milwaukee area almost every week. The culture is underground here.... not obvious like it is on the West Coast.

I can't drive over to the local bar and order a Mai Tai (go ahead, I dare you)

Foundation is only a half hour from your place. They serve Milwaukee's best Mai Tai. And it is more tiki than it has ever been.

With the Haole Cats rocking the house and my tiki stand next Tuesday... Milwaukee's tiki culture will be out in the open.

Sorry MM.... back to our regularly scheduled thread... :)

On 2006-07-31 13:01, Monkeyman wrote:

To represent the geographic diversity of our group I have made every effort to get interviews with the geographically distant folks (distant to me). Lake Surfer, Tiki Wahine, Virani and more. I am planning a trip to Florida later this year to get our Floridian friends involved and hope to travel to the SF Bay area again also.

MM, did we ever talk? Hukilau? Email? I can't recall, sorry.

Let me know if you need anything...

I just saw this thread... been so busy cranking out stuff for Hukilau I haven't had time for the computer.

Will you be at Hukilau this year? If so look forward to seeing you... the project sounds like a lot of fun!

I've been anticipating the "Armchair Tiki" documentary for the last two years after seeing filming for it at Hukilau 2004... seems like it may take a longer time to come out.

I think it is time we have a tiki documentary.

M

I interviewed you on the fly at your booth at Hukilau last year Lake. Real natural and sponteneous.. You did a nice job speaking.

Right on MM...

Best of luck with the project!

Pages: 1 23 replies