Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Eichler Tract Landmarked in Granada Hills Ca.

Pages: 1 3 replies

I found this interesting:

L.A. Eichler Tract Landmarked
A tract of about 100 Eichler houses in Granada Hills was recently granted protection as a historical landmark by the city of Los Angeles. This was done as an interim control to prevent owners from razing or significantly altering the residences' exteriors without prior approval. The tract is in the process of being declared an official City Historic Preservation Overlay Zone (HPOZ), which will provide the properties with a level of protection.
To learn more go to: http://www.preservela.com/archives/000842.html or http://www.lottaliving.com OR google for you who have never viewed these homes, you will dig it. AND, we need to protect these homes!

I grew up in Granada Hills, Ca. attended John F. Kennedy High School. So many of my friends lived north of Rinaldi and lived in Eichler homes. I didn't know they were anything special at the time except they were VERY COOL looking with those awesome atrium's. Also remembering that my friend Vicki D's. dad was an Architect and for some reason I thought he designed it haha. In any event that house was on Lisette barely above or west of Balboa and it was a tragedy the day Vicki came and told us it burnt down. We spent a lot of time driving around the Knowlwood area and getting lost.(you can get so lost!), cutting class and having lunch on the golf course and I don't mean in the club house! like, on the greens! We jumped the fences.
Those of you who have never seen these homes and are planing a trip this summer to greater L.A. I highly recomend you to take time to check out the Eichler's in the Valley. You can always stop by the Lucky Tiki for a refreshing beverage.

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2006-08-05 14:31 ]

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2006-08-05 14:46 ]

Eichler Tract Landmarked in Granada Hills Ca. A MUST TO SEE!!

H

Hiphipahula, it's funny you should post this. I just went around to see some of these homes on Lisette. I saw these homes last year when I went to visit Futura Girl. She had a fabulous home there. Ever since then I drive by and look around once in a while. It is a shame to see some of these homes being remodeled and destroyed by new additions, I don't know what the owners are thinking changing the design all together. However most of the homes are original and it is a pleasure driving by and looking at them. My only wish is to own one, maybe one day who knows.

A8

I recently went drove through that tract and was unhappy to see what a lot of the home owner's had done to "improve or remodel" these classics homes. They made them so ugly and took all the clean, classic lines away.

The neighborhood in Thousand Oaks is much better and the area as a whole is nicer.

Pages: 1 3 replies