Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Forbidden Island: Sunday Super Sale Sept. 24th! DETAILS PG 3!

Pages: 1 2 81 replies

On 2006-09-19 09:59, Coco Loco wrote:

I've seen that before, at a Rockabilly show I think, and it was built by someone in Fremont?

Nacho did it! He's an FI regular. Super-talented artist. It'll be a pleasure to see the bar in, er... ....person.

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2006-09-19 15:59 ]

O
Otto posted on Thu, Sep 21, 2006 1:19 PM

On 2006-08-27 08:56, tikiwinebear wrote:
If there will be a representative of Munktiki at this event. . .

• Myke

I will represent Munktiki with a couple of the mugs from the Tiki Art Now volume 3 show that I just hosted in Seattle. And maybe one or two Oasis mugs from past years.

I will have two of the black mugs for sale under the table - you have to ask for them. No reservations no requests to hold them, no presale, just walk up and ask me for one.

I just left you a note on your front door, asking for one.

(...too early?)

HEY MARTIN!!!!

can I come up and play too? is there any space for me to vend a few fish float lamps?

Even if there isn't, I'm looking forward to hangin' with all you crazy tiki peeps.

CL

FISH FLOAT LAMPS!!! :o Martin, please say YES to Polynesiac, because Mai Tai and I have been looking for this exact item! :) But of course it's your place to do with as you wish, I have no say in it, but PLEEAASSSE say yes to this wonderful fish float lamp opportunity. :D

• P.S. Yes, I have insomnia. Darned Cortisone shot got me wired. At least I can breath again. *

On 2006-09-21 23:13, Polynesiac wrote:
HEY MARTIN!!!!

can I come up and play too? is there any space for me to vend a few fish float lamps?

Even if there isn't, I'm looking forward to hangin' with all you crazy tiki peeps.

We're looking forward to saying HELLOO to everyone and having a cocktail at Forbidden Island again.

I know we're gonna buy a ton of stuff from the vendors too. Maybe an annual event in the making? Great food, great drinks, greater people - Aloha and go A's

M

Come on down to Crazy Martiki's Island Bazaar! With deals like these: I'm craaaaazy!

How crazy?

I'm selling a Witco!*

Yow!

M

*viking ship

M

BUUUUUMP!

M

Was this today?!? I have got to pay better attention. Sounds like a good time, oh well.

Alameda is pretty far, anyway.

Touche!
midnite

For photos of the event go to page 15 or 16 of the Andy Landry thread under Ohana and scroll back and forth. Somehow I got them side by side three photos on one line, Wendy

On 2006-09-24 21:28, danlovestikis wrote:
For photos of the event go to page 15 or 16 of the Andy Landry thread under Ohana and scroll back and forth. Somehow I got them side by side three photos on one line, Wendy

You've got to be kidding me.

On 2006-09-24 22:19, PoisonIvy wrote:

On 2006-09-24 21:28, danlovestikis wrote:

You've got to be kidding me.

Classic!
Any day now, Hanford is gonna start chargin us to read that thread.

Wish I was there at FI, Martini! Cheers!

J

Here are some pics from yesterday's fun event at Forbidden Island:

The giant tiki bar

FI Bartender, Jim, pouring Mai Tais from the Giant Tiki Bar

Chongolio's Art

More Chongolio's Art

Crazy Al chatting with fans while Otto peruses the Tiki Art Now Catalogue in the Tiki News Booth

Drunken Hat and Tofu Joe check out the activities

Hanford and Suzanne in Suzanne's Booth

Suzanne's lovely floral hair ornaments

Nice furniture for sale

Chongolio and me holding a picture of Chongolio and me that Aloha Current brought with him

Crazy Al and me just before I drove him to the airport

Thanks for a great time Martiki! This better not be a one-time-only event!

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2006-09-25 12:34 ]

H

Man, what a wonderful day! The weather was perfect, and sellers & buyers alike were beaming with a very successful day. I ran the booth of Forbidden Island decor leftovers (the FI gang had a lot of guests to take care of), and by the end of the day, pretty much all that was left were a couple of fake plants and some cleats (wannabuya cleat?). Being behind the booth, I didn't get to chat with people for very long, but I got to give some smiles and waves across the parking lot to plenty of folks, which was nice. Connecting someone with something they're excited to get, at a great price, is always fun.

Since I was busy working, my pictures are of the calm before the storm, when we were getting set up, and then a handful of pictures at the end of the day when it was wrapping up. You can see them all here:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/fiparkinglot/

:down: Nacho's amazing tiki bar, which was just as cool inside as out:

:down: The Forbidden Island booth:

:down: Mugs for sale at Martiki's booth (run by the lovely Dr. Boo Loo):

:down: Dr. Tiki Mojo's Tiki Hunters booth, his lovely wife Eva pictured:

:up: Jungle Trader is on the right

:down: Jungle Trader, Suzanne, Chongolio (that's a person!?), Haoleakamai, Marie & Jon-Paul:

:down: A booth shared by FI waitress Melissa (who owns Alameda's Retro Diva Pinup) and Beckie (who owns Icon Vintage in Berkeley), it's been a long time since I've seen a vintage clothes booth this big, it was killing me to have to look at it from across the lot! At the end of the day, they pulled out some super-small stuff for me to try, and I got a great new dress:

:down: Otto's Tiki News booth, with Tiki Art Now books, and Crazy Al:

:down: Jungle Trader, Polynesiac & Chongolio man their booths:

:down: A happy customer at the end of the day: the bar ran out of glasses at one point, so this fellow bought this glass from Martiki's booth to fill up at the bar:

:down: I was too busy to shop, so Hanford had to do it for us... we loved this lamp at Martiki's table, so we bought it, even though we don't have a table to put it on. Presto, once the dust cleared from the inital rush, I spotted a half-pretzel rattan end table that matches my living room set! Score!

Congratulations on such a massively successful event to the whole Forbidden Island gang!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2006-09-25 13:30 ]

Looks like it was a killer event,
really wish I could have gone up for that.
when are they going to make that damn teleporter system, allready?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sunday was a blast. We enjoyed shopping and meeting TC members. Here are some photos that show Dan and Wendy of danlovestikis, Kingtiesdye, JenTiki, Coco Loco, Hanford, Dr. Tikimojo, Chongolio, Crazy Al, and Otto.

A wonderful tiki bar, a blast from the past, Wendy

More photos tomorrow.

On 2006-09-18 18:17, martiki wrote:
Oh, and as for our BIG surprise...

Well, here's a REALLY BIG HINT:

holy crap!!!

That thing must violate the City of Alameda height limits! :lol:

On 2006-09-25 23:23, cynfulcynner wrote:

No, but there is a warrant out for it's arrest for sucking out all of the rum out of San Francisco county.

CL

On 2006-09-25 23:51, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2006-09-25 23:23, cynfulcynner wrote:

No, but there is a warrant out for it's arrest for sucking out all of the rum out of San Francisco county.

For the record, it's Alameda County. :wink:

This was a great way to end the summer!! I am completely blown away at the turn out and success of Martiki's brainchild. I am very happy I was a part of it. Martiki, Booloo, Thayer, Tofujoe and all the FI crew really made this a special sunday for everyone who made it out to sell, buy and of course have a few drinks. Nacho and Mike are super stars for bringing the Monster Tiki over for a visit. It is always a hoot to see everyone in thier element and putting the names to the smiling faces that populate TC.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and chatted me up. Super deep thank you's to all who spent some cash and picked some of my art. I can't tell you enough times how much it keeps me inspired to keep moving forward with my creative projects. You all are the folks who keep the Tiki Art community going strong. Mahalo for all the support!

Cheers,
Chongolio

S

Ditto to what Chongolio said! I was so pleased and proud to be a part of this really fantastic event. I had a blast, rescued a poor broken ceramic flamingo, was able to support other fantastic artists from Tiki Central, met new friends, and even made a little bit of money to support my Bananamamacow habit.

Thank you so very, very much, Martin and everyone at Forbidden Island, for inviting us to be a part of a perfect afternoon. We'll be there next year with bells on!

Suzanne

On 2006-09-26 08:41, Chongolio wrote:
Super deep thank you's to all who spent some cash and picked some of my art. I can't tell you enough times how much it keeps me inspired to keep moving forward with my creative projects. You all are the folks who keep the Tiki Art community going strong. Mahalo for all the support!

Cheers,
Chongolio

Can't begin to say how priviledged we feel to have a Chongolio original for our humble walls. Wooo hoooo! And not that we want to to go so far away, but we also feel good that our purchase is helping you get to your next destination. :)

I really wanted to make this event, especially after meeting so many great people at Hooptylau. I got slammed with work and needed the weekend to get caught up. By the looks of those pics I missed a great event and a chance to get some goodies. I hope this is an event that will come around again sooner than later. I have to get to F.I. soon....maybe on a Tiki Central Wednesday!!!!!

my wife and i had a fantastic time at forbidden island last sunday. i scored some great stuff from jungle trader, dr. tikimojo, chongolio, crazy al and polynesiac. my wife got an aloha dress and one of suzanne's beautiful flowers. we saw a lot of tcers we'd met the week before at the hooptylau after party and got to see friends like limptiki and danlovestikis. i also met some tcers i'd been hoping to meet. martiki has a great lounge. it seems like it's been there for 50 years. we had some great appetizers and were pleasantly surprised the food was half off. also scored an f.i. mug for smgleason47. i'm really coveting those awesome munktiki fugu sippers! i sure hope this becomes an annual or semi-annual event.

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-09-26 14:37 ]

I was cocktailing inside and didn't get to shmooze with everyone. Next time you (I mean the collective "TC Ohana" you) drop in, please introduce yourself to me.

Cheers,
~T

WOW!
What an event.....if this had lasted any longer than 4 hours there could have been heads exploding and human sacrifices to the most massive Tiki outside of Easter Island, (to tell ya the truth it even gave them a run for the money!).
The most fun Mrs. Mojo and I have had at almost ANY event and most certainly the most fun as vendors!! :) Not only did we meet up with friends that we only knew in the virtual world of TC but we also scored a Chongolio original, (greatest part of vending is being behind the scenes), and we stood facing the MONSTER TIKI ALL DAY LONG....what an honor!!

BIG BIG THANKS TO MARTIN FOR MAKING IT ALL POSSIBLE!!! Thank you to everyone who came by our booth, said hello, picked up an item or two, Dan & Wendy, THE KING, (we meet at last!), and to everyone that didn't make it plan on it next year....it's worth the trip! :wink:

Just a few more photos to add to show the fun event with all the great collectors and new and old friends. Wendy

:music: Dancin' in the moonlight :music:
Everybody here is outasite
They keep things cool
They keep things light
:music: EVERYBODY :music:
Feelin' warm and right
They don't bark and they don't bite
EVERYBODY

Get in touch with your inner native!!
Create Paradise!!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-09-27 19:20 ]

On 2006-09-27 19:20, Jungle Trader wrote:
They keep things cool
They keep things light
Feelin' warm and right
EVERYBODY

Good googly moogly, what did I miss out there that day?!

Well aside from us all streaking and singing Kumbaya when you were dealing with the massive crowd inside, not much!

No seriously, we did not sing Kumbaya. Or did we? Maybe it was :music: Get down boogy oogy oogy. :music: Get down boogy oogy oogy :music: ...Jeez, it's such a drunken memory, just can't remember. Oh wait, I don't drink anymore :o ...hmmm, just a bad memory I guess. I need a cocktail now.

On 2006-09-28 11:15, Haole'akamai wrote:

Good googly moogly, what did I miss out there that day?!

On 2006-09-27 19:20, Jungle Trader wrote:
They keep things cool
They keep things light
Feelin' warm and right
EVERYBODY

Here are a few shots that show how big the crowd got around the trading tables.

http://www.lafterhall.com/fi_tiki_sale.html

For someone new to Tiki'dem, me, this was pretty overwhelming.

Jim

On 2006-08-08 13:52, midnite_tiki wrote:
You're selling the Fugu bowls? Cool, I would like the "surf" green one. Put it on my tab.

El midnite

ps I am guessing it would be poor form to, at the Super Sale, sell my "collection" of Forbidden Island menus, napkins, swizzles, hurricane glasses, 2 barstools, and the secret Forbidden Island cocktail recipe? Just checking.

pps just keeding, I'm keeping one of the barstools.

oops! Did'ja forget to add a comment?

I've got a comment or two, if you need one....

:wink:

Pages: 1 2 81 replies