Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Archeology Tahitian Terrace Disneyland- Image Heavy

Pages: 1 2 84 replies

T

On 2007-09-29 08:28, Tom Slick wrote:
Yes, the DVD is fantastic. I love all the info regarding vintage DL. It is a must have DVD for the Vintage Disneyland enthusiast! No longer produced,but you can probably find a copy or three on ebay. It came under the tin box collection called Walt Disney's Treasures -"Disneyland U.S.A.". Also coming December 7th will be a new release to this series...Walt Disney Treasures - "Disneyland Secrets, Stories & Magic" available through amazon on pre order! Get it while you can!

RIGHT... the DVD...I WORKED ON THAT. I was working as an assistant video editor at the company that produced those Tin Box DVD's. I'll have to look at them again.

I have a credit on there and everything...Jim Bacchi - I may be credited as "vault librarian" or "Assistant Editor" . I think I MAY even have edited a segment on one of them.

http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com
http://www.tikiyaki.wordpress.com
http://www.cuefactory.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-09-29 08:41 ]

Noticed these old photos from the Tahitian Terrace on ebay not to long ago and grabbed the images. Looks like a classic 1960's family experience and dad with his skinny black tie!

DC

LT

I saw those auctions as well. It's a shame that someone in that family hasn't retained their photos. (BTW - I love how the kid in the blue shirt is wearing his wrist-watch halfway up his forearm.) :lol:

T
twitch posted on Sun, Mar 1, 2009 8:40 AM

Ha! That kid looks bored as hell! I'm betting it's that "I'm too old for this kid's stuff" thing we go through right about at that age (at least I did when I went to D-land).
Though obviously not old enough to get a little closer to the wahine in that second pic...

Here are a few more images from the Tahitian Terrace.

A black and white photo.

I just got this postcard showing the building and the outdoor dining area.

DC

A

Great Post!!! I'm living in Shanghai, China right now an was told they have one in Kong Kong Disney? I don't know if it's true, I'll look into it....
Mahalo, Tiki Al

I am thrilled beyond belief at this thread. That's all I have to say right now. Just know that I am.

TM

They need to re-open this attraction/restaraunt. All the stuff is still there apparently.

T

On 2009-03-01 08:40, twitch wrote:
Ha! That kid looks bored as hell! I'm betting it's that "I'm too old for this kid's stuff" thing we go through right about at that age (at least I did when I went to D-land).
Though obviously not old enough to get a little closer to the wahine in that second pic...

He looks right at home holding that drink glass.....Put a Mai Tain in there, add 30 years to that photo and it could be someone here on TC !

Saw another old photo from the Tahitian Terrace on ebay featuring the greeter Lei Girl at the entrance.

This photo is from the Disneyland souvenir program that PTD gave me on the last mug swap. Look at all of those menus on the table! A gold mine I tell ya.

DC

Old photo of the band at the Tahitian Terrace from ebay.

DC

TA

Well My Tiki Brothers & Sisters.... Finally made it down to
Hong Kong Disneyland and found it...!!!!!

I could not Believe I was there...!!!!! Yet a little sad that I was there alone... Still very Cooool....

Their food is Chinese not Hawaiian but then isn't that what most Tiki place had...???

I think this could work in California were the Aladdin Theater is now... You don't need a Tiki Show, just some good food and nice ambiance.... Like the Blue Bayou.... Heck you can't even get in there without a hour or two wait....

Once I'd finish eating I started looking around for the Tiki Room... Guess what.... They don't have one...!!!!

They have a Gift Shop with some of the Decor.

But the only things for sale are the same they have on Main St....Nothing Tiki.....Not even a T-shirt or a Mug....Zero.... Very Sad....The good thing was I did't spend any money on Cooool Stuff, they didn't have any... Oh well... Still glad I got to see it.... For now it's the Only One....!!!

All in all we are Sooooo lucky to have Disneyland....!!!!Can't wait to get Home so I can go there...
Mahalo...Tiki Al
P.S. The park is Soooo Tiny......

[ Edited by: Tiki Al 2011-06-01 02:00 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Al 2011-06-01 02:08 ]

TM

What? No surf bands? No fezzes?

Anyway, here is the link in case it dissapeared:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwQVTlHyiyI

I am pretty sure that I saw John-O sitting in the audience, around 1:07 I think!

H

On 2011-06-01 11:31, lucas vigor wrote:

I am pretty sure that I saw John-O sitting in the audience, around 1:07 I think!

You're right!

TM

That's him!

K

On 2006-08-14 20:05, Matterhorn1959 wrote:
These are all images of the larger size menus that were used in the 1960s when the Terrace originally opened. I believe the green one is the earliest. Note these are all Dinner menus, I am looking for a Lunch Menu in Green and Orange. The menus measure 10 by 10 inches in size.

Does anyone know who the artist was that did the original cover art for the menu? I looked around a little but I couldn't seem to find a name attached to the art anywhere. Am I just missing it or is it a case of it being done by one of the many uncredited Disney staff artists?

I just got two old photos from the floor show at the Tahitian Terrace.

This one shows those speakers and drum that are in numerous other images.

This one is cool

Zoom in on the Tikis adorning the A-frame structure.

I was inspired to look for some more photos on-line, and found a few more on Daveland and other sites that have not been posted yet.

Some early photos.

A nice one from the Stouffers era.

The waterfall.

Exterior/Interiors

DC

Some more web images from the Tahitian Terrace:

Check on the ceiling in the outdoor dining area in this photo!

The entrance sign.

Lei greeter.

These gals have cool United Air Lines print dresses.

The Tahitian Terrace rocked.

DC

B

Poster for the Tahitian Terrace found by my wife

'

This question is for Matterhorn1959, I'm just trying to confirm my suspicions about what it says on the back of the tip tray. It looks a lot like Kys-Ite. I'm asking since my father collects Kys-Ite and my grandfather was and engineer for years for Keyes Fibre. Thank you.

Bongo,

Nice poster. Mikee has been finding lots of stuff lately!

Here is another photo showing that wacky ceiling, dancers and waterfall at the Tahitian Terrace. I wish the new place had taken some design tips from these old shots.

DC

TM

On 2006-08-12 05:39, Matterhorn1959 wrote:
Per Bigbrotiki's request, here are some of the menus. All of these are dinner menus. The first one is from the mid 1970s and still uses the great cartoon imagery. Here is the front:

And the inside of the menu:

And the back of the menu:

Just to show that I am a complete lunatic, here is the inside of another menu from the 1970s with different prices and meals:

In the 1980s, Kikkoman Soy Sauce began sponsorship of the restaurant. The menu changed from the fun cartoon graphics to a more tapa cloth based design withe Kikkoman symbol:

And the inside of the menu:

And the back of the menu:

These menus are smaller in size than the 1960s menus, measuring 5 by 5 inches when folded and 5 by 8.5 inches unfolded.

I noticed the Monte Cristo disappeared after a while. I remember eating one here. Years later, I read that they added pineapple juice to the egg batter!

Love this thread. Saw this menu that was not represented here yet.

Obviously one of the very early first ones, the Monte Cristo was only $1.50!

And there was a Junior Surfer item for the kids, cool.

DC

Awesome. Great post. I remember the Tahitian Terrace.

On 2012-08-28 08:40, tikijoseph wrote:
Awesome. Great post. I remember the Tahitian Terrace.

I used to take dates there for dinner. It was always a good time. I still have several of the shell necklaces which we were given when dining there.

Another old tourist photo of the Tahitian Terrace showing the Tapa ceiling fabric and Tiki.

DC

Spotted this old photo that sold on ebay with a great looking Tiki outside the Tahitian Terrace. An Eli maybe??

I remember this guy being on a Mystery Tiki thread somewhere before, I think?

DC

On 2013-03-15 23:47, Dustycajun wrote:
Spotted this old photo that sold on ebay with a great looking Tiki outside the Tahitian Terrace. An Eli maybe??

I remember this guy being on a Mystery Tiki thread somewhere before, I think?

DC

This guy popped up in this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=24081&forum=1&start=0

...and was also discussed in another, you're right - but I have no idea which, and what search word to use for it. "Disneyland" alone is a little too broad :)

Ron has a nicely weathered one at home:

I remember him in an O.A. context, but Eli Hedley sounds right somehow too....hmmm

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-03-16 07:08 ]

It's Mysterious Tiki "X" as seen here and here.

On 2005-01-19 13:20, Aaron's Akua wrote:

According to Bob at Oceanic Arts, it's a replica of a Cook Islands tiki that was carved in Samoa, then imported by "Cargoes by Carter" to the U.S.

Doug Horne did a great version of Bongofury's Tiki X.

Bora Boris,

Thanks for figuring that out. That Doug Horne pencil drawing resides in Ron's house near the actual Tiki!

Another old menu from the Tahitian Terrace, must have been one of the first.

Now that is some great bamboo font!

DC

K
kiara posted on Thu, Jun 20, 2013 9:02 PM

I spent a lot of time pain stakingly putting together a lot of images from the Tahitian Terrace. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of them anymore. I do have that last image of the menu DC posted in color though. I'm looking for it now.

[ Edited by: kiara 2013-06-20 21:03 ]

On 2013-06-20 21:02, kiara wrote:
I spent a lot of time pain stakingly putting together a lot of images from the Tahitian Terrace. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of them anymore. I do have that last image of the menu DC posted in color though. I'm looking for it now.

Kiara,

Would love to see what you have left in your archives. Here are a few more images from the web.

Early ad from the opening.

And a 1970's version.

DC

P

*On 2006-08-12 05:39, Matterhorn1959 wrote:*In the 1980s, Kikkoman Soy Sauce began sponsorship of the restaurant. The menu changed from the fun cartoon graphics to a more tapa cloth based design withe Kikkoman symbol:

These menus are smaller in size than the 1960s menus, measuring 5 by 5 inches when folded and 5 by 8.5 inches unfolded.

Just for the record, these small 5x5 menus were free take-away souvenir menus...smaller versions (without prices) than the actual larger menus you ordered from at the tables. They were kept in a small wooden rack by the hostess stand. Guests could grab one as a keepsake of their visit on their way out.

Disneyland's Blue Bayou Restaurant in New Orleans Square also had one of these small replica keepsakes of their full size menu, as well.

A guy posted his 1961 Disneyland home movie on Facebook page TRULY Vintage Disneyland today and in it was this Cargo's by Carter Marquee's as shown in this post. I think I have posted my tiki before but I can't find the post. My Big Marq is hardwood as well and has been painted at least once and then touch ups . I have searched everywhere and asked everyone if they know where he came from, I do know he spent several years in Nicholas Cages backyard and all of his Tiki's are pedigree and were sought out and purchased through brokers. The guy I received it from bought it from Nick's estate sale at his home when he went to actually buy a car. The bottom of the tiki is a cement block with cut off steel that went through another cement block. Here are some photos of the home movie and my Marq.
I'm sure I found where this marq's home was.

Thanks to the contributors! All of you have such perseverance and dedication to an incredible place. My family visited Disneyland in the late 60s but I was the toddler, so I was left at a strict Aunt's house. Again, with the resurgence of Poly Pop, how come Disney [or another source] doesn't bring it back? Can you imagine the crowd that would line up there today - especially in California?!

P

On 2015-04-28 08:10, johnnyvelvet wrote:
Again, with the resurgence of Poly Pop, how come Disney [or another source] doesn't bring it back? Can you imagine the crowd that would line up there today - especially in California?!

Wouldn't be at all surprised if something weren't already in the works regarding this location and Disney's upcoming animated "Moana" movie:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=48383&forum=1

Though it would most likely be a character dining experience, rather than something like the old show.

[ Edited by: PremEx 2015-04-29 11:18 ]

I should also add, to my above post this in NOT one of the 2 natural hardwood Marq's that stand together at the entrance of Adventureland. This Marq stands alone near a rest area. This Marq. is painted. Made by Cargo's by Carter

Pages: 1 2 84 replies