Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

3rd August Holland Print? Help!

Pages: 1 14 replies

I missed the post about a third August Holland print, and unfortunately the pics are no longer available.
I have this print I got at a junk store a few years ago.
Is it the elusive 3rd Holland print or what.
Any Info would be awesome.

[ Edited by: timthedish 2006-08-15 16:47 ]

M

Aloha Tim, you dish you,

*Is it the elusive 3rd Holland print or what.

Yes, certainly most likely probably. I don't think it was called "or what" and it all depends on how you number them if this is the third. I believe it is one of the three "tiki prints" Holland produced: "Treasure" or "Fire God"? One of those titles. Don't hold it against me, as I am old and my memory...pie is good!

Someone, I am certain, will have a pic & info to confirm. "Pearl" is the most common, with this one and the drummer print much more scarce. I recall the discussion from long time ago...

What are we talking about?
midnite

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-16 14:15 ]

Thank you!
I have looked all over the web and cannot find ANY info on this print! Can anyone give me a site/book/etc. that I can look at to verify what this print is? If it is a Holland print, it sure isn't the two I see on ebay all the time.
Thanks again!
Tim

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-16 14:16 ]

for more on August Holland check out...get this....http://www.augustholland.com

On 2006-08-24 20:27, congatiki wrote:
for more on August Holland check out...get this....http://www.augustholland.com

Wow, they don't even have a picture of that print under the "Tiki Art" heading. Rather they only have "Pearls" and "Night Drummer". I'm sure that's a good find!

Chris

I have the same site http://www.augustholland.com/early_prints.htm#tiki

which I believe is the "official" August Holland site run by his wife.
If there are only two Tiki prints listed by August Holland then I believe that means that there are ONLY two Tiki prints by August Holland. I had once send an email and was answered directly through the site you should do the same.
Personally, I would say it is a look a like, and a cool one at that, but NOT an August Holland.
Just my opinion as an art seller and collector!

Dr.TikiMojo

According to Judith Holland, who runs the augustholland.com web site this is an August Holland tiki painting.
However, it IS rare-to quote her email to me:

"Your print was one of three Polynesian paintings done for Goes Lithographing in Chicago in the late 60's. There was "The Pearl of Wisdom","Drums on the Night" and "The Fire god" (yours). Of the three "The Pearl- really took off, sold thousands of copies, and some were transfered to canvas. The other two sold but not nearly as well. this is the first I have seen of this print and I have had the website since l999.
Thank you for sending me the picture."

Cool!
Also, I have listed the print on ebay.

[ Edited by: timthedish 2006-09-21 17:46 ]

I guess the other "obvious" question....is there a signature on it by August Holland?

In a time when his print sales were doing quite well all over America I sincerely doubt he decided, "I'm not too sure about this image and I'm not really happy with the work I've done so I'm not going to sign this one and see what happens!"

Most all artist put their name on their work....unless of course it's commissioned by a print house that's trying to capitalize on a certain trend and they want people to "assume" that it is a "known" artist when in fact it's not.

Just another 2 cents!

If his wife says its one of his thats good enough for me.
This is, after all, a mass produced item, often available at Sears, etc. and his signature probably wouldn't mean much anyway to the average joe in a Woolworths in Topeka. Just a thought.

You know...it's so funny to see "The Pearl Of Wisdom" going for 180.00...I hauled two Pearl Of Wisdoms around in the original frames for two years and two Hukilaus. I couldn't sell them for 20 bucks apiece to professed tikiphiles. They seemed to just attract a lot of ice cream lickers, tire kickers, and nose pickers. They ended up going back to the flea market where I found them! 10 each. I have no idea what was wrong with them...Covered in invisible Kryptonite?

C

:o

BK, I would have seized one of your Pearl of Wisdom prints for $20! We PM'd and you wanted $60 worth of vintage tiki collectibles in trade but at the time all I had was new (which you had professed not to care for). Although truthfully I recall not pursuing it, I couldn't take risking the heartache of receiving another stomped Pearl.

The Tiki Gods must have felt bad for me, later I got a copy of Drums in the Night for $20 with Buy It Now on eBay. Not framed so United Parcel Smashers couldn't harm the precious. It's as beautiful as the Pearl.

It is signed by August and the title at the bottom says "Drums in the Night by August Holland"

:tiki:

N

got this one about a month or so ago

Below is the actual name of this print. I have one myself and it is rare enough that no one seems to know the name.

Photo from a print I saw that sold on eBay.

W

Pages: 1 14 replies