Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vic Advert (1939) - Raffles Bar Sling

Pages: 1 4 replies

Hi Guys/ Gals,

Basically my question is "What is the recipe that Trader Vic would have been using in 1939 for his 'Raffles Bar Sling'?".

Here is the text of the Advert I found it in:

"Oakland Tribune" 15th February 1939.

Famous for "Selective" Drinks.

"Vic" Bergeron Offers The Pleasure Loving People of Oakland and Exposition Visitors Authentic Drinks Gathered From The Far Corners OF The World.

Mojito from Habana.
Rum Cow from Porto Rico.
Barbados Red Rum Swizzle.
Raffles Bar Sling from Singapore.
Champagne Apricot From France.
Cuban Presidente, From Habana.
Maui Fizz, From Honolulu.
Gin and Schweppes Tonic, From North Africa.
Pisco Punch, From Peru.

TRADER VIC
YOUR HOST
World Famous Drinks.
6500 San Pablo Ave. Oakland.

And in answering my query (what is the Raffles Bar Sling recipe?) can anyone cast light onto the "Exposition" that people were "Visitors" of?

Cheers!

George

[email protected]

http://wiki.webtender.com/wiki/Home

T

From the 1947 Trader Vic Bartender's Guide:

Raffles Hotel Sling
1 oz. dry gin
1 oz. cherry brandy
1 oz. benedictine
Shake w/cracked ice, strain into glass containing several lumps of ice; fill with chilled club soda and garnish with lime peel spiral.

In 1939-40 there was the Golden Gate International Exposition on Treasure Island in San Francisco.

Any ideas as to why there is no sour element in this drink?

T

On 2006-08-19 12:01, thinkingbartender wrote:
Any ideas as to why there is no sour element in this drink?

Many early cocktails had no sour element (martini, Manhattan, old fashioned, etc.).

According to the book Vintage Cockatils by Susan Waggoner and Robert Markel the Raffles Gin Sling was created in 1915 by Ngiam Tong Boon, barman at the Raffles Hotel in Singapore. The recipe in this book is the same as the one in Trader Vic's guide.

If you want a fruitier sling, make the Straits Sling, which is the above recipe plus 1/2 oz. lemon juice and a couple dashes each of orange and Angostura bitters. (Dr. Cocktail's excellent version omits the cherry brandy, increases the gin to 2 oz., reduces the Benedictine to 1/2 oz. and adds 1/2 oz. kirschwasser).

Interesting because your Straits Sling recipe is the one I was taught as the Singapore Sling back in '95. Since then, and after some research I have been making Sing Slings with just a squeeze or two of lime as I find it suits a modern palatte slightly better and still references the lime peel twist. I still love the addition of a lil' bitters. :o)

Although it could be said that if you add the lime zest to the shaker with other ingredients (not soda) and shake like you've got the DT's you'd get a good 'zing' of lime into the drink to act as a slightly sour element.

My sister visited the hotel (late 90's) and mailed me with their recipe and it had lemon juice... how things change.

I have also now seen it referenced with egg white (from a publication in 1951) so it may have undergone some tweaking by the Raffles Hotel bar team??

(off to get some Cherry Heerings and have some afternoon "Bittered Strait Singapore Slings"!)

Pages: 1 4 replies