Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

hooptylau 2006 -- the un-tiki tiki event --

Pages: 1 2 84 replies

For da' special peeps, I'll pull out some blue and white Minnie's mugs on Sunday.

On 2006-09-12 12:41, Tiki Woo wrote:
Hi gang:

I'm really sorry but something came up and I have stay home. Have a great time everyone!

See what pulling up that monkey underwear and oyster beef picture did Mai Tai.... You done scared folks off man.

Chongolio

Well miss ya Woo

HH

is it saturday YET?????!!!!

MT

On 2006-09-12 20:26, Chongolio wrote:

See what pulling up that monkey underwear and oyster beef picture did Mai Tai.... You done scared folks off man.

ahem Acccording to that pic, YOU are the one that's pulling up monkey underwear, Chongolio!!!

On 2006-09-12 20:26, Chongolio wrote:

Well miss ya Woo

Yes Woo, please come out and play!!! Otherwise who will help us overtake the karaoke party at the high school reunion at Minnie's?!?

As to the regenerative powers of Oyster Beef, all I can say is
Before Oyster Beef:

After Oyster Beef:

L

Mai Tai - Be on the lookout for a special tiki prize from me to you at the hoopty, it may take more than a heaping portion of oyster beef to revive you and your 2 ohana huts!

CL

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2006-09-13 15:31 ]

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.....This event was soo fun and put together so well...Thanks to Scott and Jungle Trader for safely driving us around through our night of drinking. Thanks to ''Cleen'' and Scott for such a great evening, so well planned...and for Scott mixing drink after drink for us at his incredible tiki bar. What made this event for me was such a great group of people, everyone of you made me feel comfortable and welcome....What a special way to lose my ''tiki'' virginity....Like many others I will post some pics soon....I cannot express how truly incredibly enjoyable this evening was. 'Clean'' you did an outstanding job with the itinerary......oh yeah and I made some new friends!!!

Aloha moondog, good to finally meet you, and paranoid, and quickiki and Kate and Bullet. Welcome to the family.
Here's a few images. Most of the other images didn't turn out well. Sorry I didn't have more.
Thanks to everyone who came out for the fun and games and thanks to Scott and Colleen and Randy too.

Drunken Hat Navy Seal searching for torpedoes at The Jungle Outpost lagoon.

Patio fountain at The Dark Marq Room

LOOK a BuffaloTiki over yonder

Chongolio and Conga Mike chillaxin'

Hot tubbin

D' Hat and kingstiedye discussing the size of something???

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-09-17 17:32 ]

T

Hoooooopdyyyyyy pardner! That was a kick in the pants!
Scott and Cleen are the best hosts you could imagine- fun locations, great drinks, and prizes too. And a big mahalo to Vic and his lovely wife, Cheryl, for their hospitality today at their oasis. Alia and I are so blessed to have ohana like ya'll - that includes everyone - and you know who you are :D

"But why is the rum gone?!" -Capt. Jack Sparrow

The Tiki Gallery has over 1,400 photos!
http://www.tikiroom.net
http://www.tikimug.net
http://www.tikimugs.net

[ Edited by: TikiHula 2006-09-17 19:52 ]

H

Hee yaw! I jus' had the rootin'est, tootin'est galdurned time. Thanky kindly to drunken hat, tikicleen and Jungle Trader fer all yer straight-up asses-an-elbows werk on this here hoedown. Take a gander at mah pickchers:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/hooptylau2006/

On Lock Sam's -- since 1898!

Ray at the bar:

These here boys got an early start on the drinkin, I recon:

The gang:

Mai Tai puts the assy in classy:

Pollardville, where grease is a sauce, and an air freshener:

Mai Tai choking the chicken:

The Crazy Train:

A Tiki Vixen, in 'er natcheral invayrown-ment:

The last remnants of an old civilization:

Momma's giblets were always fluffy, melt in yer mouth affairs, too. Poppa was a Combo gizzards sort of fella:

If'n ya squeeze yer eyes up real good, if feel jus' like Hawaier!

Jessup, get them gizzards down yer gullet, it's time to hitch up the wagon!

Black Bart an' Red Roscoe got themselves captchered:

An' Miss Kitty wen' afoul o' the law, too:

Coco Loco was captervated by one o' the hat's newfangled Gas Siphoner tonics:

Things were about the same at the ol' Tiki Lounge:

There's always room fer a few tiki pics:

Lisa (Marie) Pena (Lofing) (Presley) showed up fer the 1986 class reunion, after all (she sure was a hirsute lil' gal!)

Jungle Trader's tropical oasis was the best danged place to wind up, I tell you what:

Mahalos again from me an' Schmama Lama, and Hanford sends his regards (his cold's gettin' better -- I've sent Jessup out to get 'im some good ol' chicken soup with gizzards).

wow! what a great couple of days! thanks to everyone who came out. it is always awesome to hang out with the ohana. it was also a gigantic pleasure to meet some new-to-hoopty folks. we had a great time hosting y'all.

we really want to extend a huge hoopy thanks to randy for designing all of the artwork! they came out super swell dude! the same huge mahalos to jt & cheryl for hookin up the grinds and allowing us to bask in the beauty of their jungle retreat.

pics will follow!

well, i finally made it to my first tiki central event. the after party at jungle trader's outpost. my wife, sandy, and i had a great time meeting all the tcers there. the outpost is beautifully landscaped featuring huge bosko and keigs masks, various tikis, koi pond, waterfalls, stream, pool, spa, and my favorite, jt's giant root ball tiki. mrs. jt, cheryl (sp?), had da ono grindz laid out as well. i had a great time talking to tiki-kate, drunken hat, jt, chongolio, humuhumu and all the others. nobody seemed worse for the wear from the crawl the night before, except tikicleen never did remove her sunglasses. :) i'm looking forward to many more adventures with my new friends. i'll see alot of you this sunday at forbidden island. mahalo to all for making us feel so welcome. bullet

Well well well,
Another far out Hooptylau went off and was a wild and well planned good time for all. Drunken Hat, Tikicleen, JT and Cheryl have once again proved that it is about the people more than anything else. Special thanks to Scott and Colleen for asking me to create the art for their event, which they have always done with love and a lot of hard work on their part. You guys are the tiki's knees. It was real pleasure to finally meet Kingstyedye, Sandy and Moondog as well as having Paranoid and Tiki kate make the scene. It was a pleasure hangin' out and sharing laughs and fried chicken with the folks who were able to make it. Sadly lacking were Hooptylau regulars Unga, Hanford,The Jab, Mr Smiley, Martiki, Rebecca and Cousin Clem. I will post my pics when I get a chance.

Chongolio a.k.a Lil Manila

P.S. My gizzards still kinda hurts.

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

CL

Wow, thanks to our gracious hosts. It was a wonderful weekend. Wow, the Ohana spirit lives on. DH and TC, thank you thank you thank you for your continued efforts in putting this event together. I'm so glad we got to go to OnLok Sams, Polardville (sp?) before demolition, the gay Tiki bar, and MINNIES. The best though was the Dark Marq! JT and Cheryl, LOVE your backyard. I covet it. Thanks for your hospitality and the great food. Humu, great captions on the pics. :lol:

Yeah we missed the regulars, so we stopped by FI on the way home to catch some of em. We shared our limited pictures with Martiki, BooLoo and Jab. They got to see the awesome Chongolio artwork and "special" visit by Cousin Clem. :wink:

See allya'all in two days. Maholo.

I want to throw in my thanks to the hosts Tikicleen, Drunken Hat, Jungle Trader, and Cheryl. Thanks to Chongolio for the cool artwork, and to Moondog for the CDs. I am in love with the Dark Marq and Jungle Trader's lush oasis (I just wanted to sleep in that chair with my feet in the pool).

The event was very fun: the train ride, the gay bar, and the crashing and stealing of IDs from the high school reunion. Congratulations to MaiTai for winning the ribbion for him being able to dress himself.

Scott, I don't think the Gas Siphon needs a name change.

A HUGE Mahalo to everyone involved!! Miss D and I had a fab time, getting all hoopty and wasted with y'all. The addition of the Stockton stops were a blast - esp Pollardville.
Dark Marq and Jungle Trader's Outpost were better than ever!! Already looking forward to the next one. Hooptylau is definitely the most fun event of the year for us. Here's some of my fave pics:

Densie and I all 70'd out - looking quite out of place at Pollardville

It felt like we were still in San Francisco

Mai Tai gets attacked by Minnie's boar

Chongolio and I head to investigate

[ Edited by: Conga Mike 2006-09-18 16:12 ]

Here are a few of my favorite pics off of my dang ol camera:

You can see the rest with captions at my blog Barefoot Bloggin'

Enjoy,
Lil Manila

What a fun event, I thought of this song when I was reading through this thread:

Everybody Does it in Hawaiier.mp3 - Jimmie Rodgers With Joe Kaipo

Thanks for the tune TW. And another Thanky to Tikicleen for the official Hooptylau CD. Here is the song list from it:

1. hawaiian cowboy ~ slim whitman
  2. saddle tramp ~ marty robbins
  3. hawaiian war chant ~ bob wills
  4. rhumba boogie ~ ernest tubb & hank snow
  5. hula rock ~ hank snow the singing ranger & his rainbow ranch boys
  6. beyond the reef ~ santo & johnny
  7. bop a hula ~ jimmy c. newman
  8. hawaii's calling me ~ marty robbins
  9. my little grass shack in kealekekua hawaii ~ teresa brewer
    10.hilo march ~ hula hawaiians
    11.geisha girl ~ hank locklin
    12.pearly shells ~ slim whitman
    13.lovely hula hands ~ junior brown
    14.sweet leilani ~ jack de mello
    15.my hula baby ~ cowboy copas
    16.hawaiian bells ~ marty robbins
    17.hula love ~ buddy knox
    18.choo choo ch'boogie ~ bill haley
    19.my isle of golden dreams ~ chet atkins & hank snow
    20.everybody does it in hawaii ~ hank snow
    21.hillbilly hula girl ~ junior brown
    22.now is the hour (maori farewell song) ~ burl ives
    23.anarchy in the uk ~ ukelele orchestra of great britain

Also thanks to Moondog for his CD and his bitchin' stickers :wink:

hmmm is this the isaac mizrahi version of reservoir dogs?

you decide!

My printer went down so I could not print song titles. In case you are curious, here is the track listing.
1.topsy.joe bussi trio
2.the 59th street bridge song (feelin' groovy).harper's bizarre
3.sea of love.phil phillips
4.pipeline.the chantays
5.flip,flopandfly.big joe turner
6.misirlou.laurindo almeida and the bossa nova all-stars
7.three allley cats.roy hall
8.a new 10 gallon hat.sheriff tom owens and his cowboys
9.it aint right.gordon terry
10.alamo.the dave and deke combp
11.hi honey ho.daddy cool
12.corn picken'.james burton
13.michele.trailer park casanovas
14.rollin' stone.the fontaine sisters
15.theshakedown.lloyd glenn
16.depart from me..the hootowls
17.tuff.ace cannon
18.without a hitch.trailer park troubadors
19.pop a top.jim ed brown
20.green julian.sir julian
21.the tiki bar is open.john hiatt
22.margaritaville.todd snider
23.rat race.the specials
24.honky tonk night time man.willie heath neal
25.lost weekend.stan ridgeway
26.i have my reasons.three bad jacks
27.diamond head..the ventures

I totally love the hooptylau cd....ESPECIALLY THE ARTWORK!
what a talented, fun bunch of down home folk!

You can see the rest with captions at my blog Barefoot Bloggin'

"Reservior chickens or pollardville dogs" Classic Chongolio!! I love this pic. Infact, your slide-show had me in stitches. Great photos!!
Hey thanks BTW to Hat and Chongolio for putting the CD together-and to you too, Moondog- That was a real nice touch.

[ Edited by: Conga Mike 2006-09-19 14:17 ]

Had fun -- too much fun. Thanks to the hosts and drivers, thanks to chongo for the great art I won in the raffle and thanks to paranoid for advising on my poker hand.

Missed hooptiers from prior years and enjoyed the virgins. Guess I need to remove the modesto Tiki from the list of semi-regular drinking holes.

In agreement w/ congamike that this is the best event and hope it lives on.

MT

Well, Yeeeehawwww to all m' goll darn tiki pardner's out there. Here's sum of my piks for all y'all to pe-ruze.

'Nuff said.

Miss Kitty and the rest o' the gals cain't wait to get this here horseless carriage back to their saloon.

Heer's a cuple of ornery ol' cow pokes, what dun came staggerin' outta the saloon!

Looks like we dun spread the word, and edju-makated sum of them varmints what's hangin' round the saloon!!!

We've done gotten all greasified on fried chicken and giblets on a bunnnn.

Dag-nabbit, Mai Tai, I told you to keep yer goll darn hands off my giblets!!!

Unfortunately, unbeknowngst to us, these were the last cowpokes to finish off chicken and giblets at Pollardville.

That Dang ol' Chongolio shows the love he has fur his beer, whilst I prepare to meet my maker.

Wellp, that's about all the pics I could snap off before m' goll darn battery dun up and gave up the ghost! So much for this heer fancy-schmantzy teknowlageee. But I must say that I was glad that I dun held onto my hat and glasses, 'cause this here Hooptylau was the most rip-roarin' ride in the wilderness!!!

MT

So I have to agree with Limptiki and Conga Mike that Hooptylau is one of the best events ever! Thanks so much to the Drunken Hat, TikiCleen, Jungle Trader and Cheryl, and anyone else that I might have missed, for putting forth such effort, and offering such great hospitality by opening up their homes, and hauling our drunk asses all over the place. It is greatly appreciated by all of us! And on top of that, you guys give us prizes for dressing up in ridiculous outfits while prancing around drunk (something I'm sure I'd gladly do without much prompting anyways)!!! In my opinion, you guys are the ones that are deserving of the prizes! Again, thank you for your hard work and effort in planning yet another flawless Hooptylau!

Much thanks to Chongolio as well, fer doin' the dad gum artwork! And thanks also to Moondog for his Hoopty CD. Although some regular Hoopty folks weren't there and were greatly missed, it was great to meet some new Hoopty-ers, as well as hangin' out with the usual Hoopty Posse.

So, am I to infer that this Hoopty treat...

...has now been replaced by this one?

HH

I just wanted to say big thank you to Scott, coleen and Vic for a wonderful time. It was a blast as always
much love

i know we have already said it, but we want to thank everyone so MUCH for coming out this way and experiencing the hooptylau. it's the people that really make this hoopty event rock, and we enjoy all of the creativity brought each year by all of you. i also want to send out a superbigsquishy mahalo to my friend chongolio (aka; lil' manila) for being a stud and helping me a tremendous amount. big thank you also to vic and cheryl for the wonderful day we had sunday, to tikihula for dem guns and holsters, and to thejab for pointing me in the right direction for the hawaiian western music (i gotta cd with your name on it dean!!!) :)

also, it was totally great to finally meet quickiki, kingstiedie & sandy, tiki-kate, and moondog. i may have been really out of it sunday, but mr. kingstiedie thankfully wore bright colors which helped lift me out of my fogginess. :wink: it was cool to be in the presence of tiki-kate, tikihula and kings who have monster-like rare tiki collections. i just wish i could have participated more in the discussions!

first stop, on-lock sam

ray in action at on-lock sam. this guy has great stories to tell about all the big players back in the day involved with the islander. just dont let him drink you under the table...

when cameras are left unattended.

when cameras are left unattended, part deux.

vixen, hat, congamike, and jungletrader

moondog, mrs. tikihula, tikihula, and mai tai

the hat, schmama lama, and humu

in the rental van heading to pollardville.

gunslinger mai tai shoots rum into tikihulas mouth? face? eyes?

the chicken kitchen rail road train!

tiki-kate and al

our engineer

it was a bumpy ride

pollardville's ghost town, the set of big country

those darn avid tiki magazine readers!

there was some really great big hair at the hooptylau:

miss coco loco

and miss humuhumu

then we dined inside the chicken kitchen...

the lone tiki left from the stockton islander

mr. and mrs. tikihula were true hawaiian cowboys!

the infamous covered wagon within the chicken kitchen.

the dark marq

cocoloco, schmama lama, and humu

tikivixen and paranoid123

moondog, mrs and mr tikihula

drunken hat and conga mike

somehow, i did not take any pictures at the tiki lounge, but it was packed due to the anniversary party of coming out as a gay bar. onward to minnie's!

moondog, chongolio, conga mike, and mai tai crash the '86 reunion at minnie's! (a time honored tradition)

the congas were very 1970's. i love denise's secret about her outfit! :)

chonogo's boar impression

kiss the muscle!

hula hula and josie. i love josie to pieces, but she put the hurtin' on me with her heavy pour.

humu and schmama

bill and tikivixen

conga mike, al, cocoloco and tiki-kate, with jungle trader hanging out in the background.

al, humu and tikivixen

apparently at some point during the night, i felt it was necessary to do many close-up pictures.

cowboy jungletrader

the sober drunken hat

lil' manila

the only proof that limptiki WAS in fact at hoopty.

mai tai, paranoid and al

peter (owner of minnie's) gives some love to vic

mai tai contemplating the food of england and the quicksand.

and of course, we had the inevitable minnie's boar pictures.

kiss the muscle!

first ever "boar view" photo shoot

um...yeah.

aloha! :drink:

Cleen,

You're the best! Thanks so much for pulling this together. We had a great time and Mai Tai enjoyed being able to finally get a full dose of Tiki time in...after a year of 6 day, 80+ hour work weeks.

I LOVE the pictures of Pollardville. You got some great shots.

And my...we had Tiki News with us all of the time! Couldn't stop readin that darned magzine from the looks of dad gumed piktures. If that's not a testimonial for the magazine, I don't gab dummed know what is? :)

Ahhhhh... at last, some pictures that truly capture the scale of my bouffant! Mai Tai's Aunt Liz would be proud.

WOW, great shots Cleen.

Rum in the water pistols.....BRILLIANT!

That shot of Limp doesn't even look like him.....BRILLIANT!

And Randy, exellent presentation on yer blog......BRILLIANT!
I don't know how you do it.

I had a lotta fun, even sober.
Let's go back to Pollardville one more time before it's torn down. We could reenact a Wild West shootout, but with rum-filled water pistols. What say?

sorry my pics are months late...dont even know where they all went....but since I am in a picture posting mood....enjoy

Aw shucks, just looked thru this thread. I miss the good times Hooptylau. I've thought about an event with Minnie's, Jungle's Outpost, and Hawaiian Reflections but not sure if I could pull it off by myself. Maybe, maybe not.

On 2009-03-29 21:49, Jungle Trader wrote:
Aw shucks, just looked thru this thread. I miss the good times Hooptylau. I've thought about an event with Minnie's, Jungle's Outpost, and Hawaiian Reflections but not sure if I could pull it off by myself. Maybe, maybe not.

Go for it. We'll make the trip down from Sac.

That was a '''10'' weekend for sure.....Thanks again!

The Photos are outta this World , wayyyyy kool

A
Al-ii posted on Wed, Apr 1, 2009 9:56 PM

The Hooptylau was my favorite. Who can forget loosing the Jab, getting the vans gas siphoned, The Tiki Bar at the Modesto tropics going Gay, OYSTER BEEF and getting thrown out of the Adult Superstore. Those were the days. Vic I'll help you bring it back, we can do this. We should do this.

Alvis, Humu, Coco Loco

Big Cock

If this gets off the ground I'm in.

I really hope that doesn't make you want to scrap the whole idea. :wink:

Pages: 1 2 84 replies