Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sam's Seafood open!

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

On 2008-05-28 15:01, tikiyaki wrote:

As long as it's in the Hidden Village and the waterfall is working again.

I vote for the Blue Hawaiians as the wedding band.

Boris, of course won't be able to make it because he'll be photographing some old Tiki Apartment in the Inland Empire :o

When the special day comes I'd be happy to attend and photograph some old Tiki People for you. The reception will be amazing I can't wait, by the end of the night it will practically be a Tiki Rockestra! © That's right a Tiki Rockestra©, which I just got the copyright for. Jeez this Sam's thread is almost 5 pages long someone better start a new one. :)

TM

Can you imagine Tikiyaki orchestra performing at Kona's??

I think that would be frickin awesome! The full band, in their natural habitat!

But as I said, the place needs to be packed to keep the ball rolling!

So, if anyone here on this board sees a post that announces the Tikiyaki orchestra performing there live, run! Don't walk! fill the joint up!!

We need to support our local exotica bands fully. Or else suffer from more top-forty blues and classic rock bands, filled with all the guys with skullets that still work at Guitar Center!!

The way I personally feel is that I have had it up to HERE with classic rock and top forty-I am not knocking it completely, it's just that for the past 43 years it's all I have been able to see locally. Gone were the days when really cool bands graced the stages of places like Shelley's manne hole or the Balboa pavillion (stan kenton, etc)

Just think how lucky we are to finally have decent exotica bands playing live, just like they did back in the golden years of tiki.

Jim Tikiyaki should be given major kudos for putting in the time and effort to MAKE it happen, and let me tell you...I have seen "exotica" bands out there who are just ex-punkers or ex-surfer rockers, (I feel the flames coming) they know a few chords and wear a fez...and think that makes it "exotica". It doesn;t. Tradionally, the original exotica musicians were fully skilled and trained jazz musicians, moonlighting with exotica and actually having fun as opposed to being so serious all the time. But skilled they were. Not just garage musicians. Tikiyaki orchestra fits the bill in spades. All of them are highly trained, and highly skilled. And it comforts me to know that this kind of dedication and experience is rewarded by having this music being played over the CD system at Sams, or as in-flight music on an airline.

I am going to make sure that I am there, because I don't want to wish one day that I was!

T

On 2008-05-28 15:08, The Sperm Whale wrote:

Look for a Tikiyaki Orchestra Show there this summer, probably in the coveted Hidden Village. YEA !!! :)

I am so looking forward to seeing you guys where you are ment to be seen. I am not saying parking lots and drive inns are bad, but Exotica should be enjoyed in its proper surroundings. Congrats and keep us posted on the dates.

P.S. Jonpaul rawks!!!

P.S.S. The Whale Rider and I where married in the Hidden Village!! So I consider Sam's or Kona's my home away from home.

Agreed, if any one place were ideal for the T.O. it would be The Hideen Village.

Can't wait to play there.

T

On 2008-05-28 15:08, The Sperm Whale wrote:

Look for a Tikiyaki Orchestra Show there this summer, probably in the coveted Hidden Village. YEA !!! :)

I am so looking forward to seeing you guys where you are ment to be seen. I am not saying parking lots and drive inns are bad, but Exotica should be enjoyed in its proper surroundings. Congrats and keep us posted on the dates.

P.S. Jonpaul rawks!!!

P.S.S. The Whale Rider and I where married in the Hidden Village!! So I consider Sam's or Kona's my home away from home.

Agreed, if any one place were ideal for the T.O. it would be The Hideen Village.

Can't wait to play there.

Don't think the name is the problem.

We live in a neighborhood where fine dining has names like Captain Jack's and Harpoon Harry's. People will associate Kona with "Islands" or "Red Robin" and expect to pay those prices. I think maybe the fine dining market is saturated here anyway. Maybe go for a Taco Surf environment and the name would be a perfect fit.

I also don't understand buying new signage for the name when there are all these garage-sale banners on the building advertising Karaoke and specials. There is a way to get attention and its dirt cheap: Tiki torches that burn at night!

Yeah, I thought the name Kona was a little contrived too, but I understand changing the name of the place. The Sam's name just has a stigma associated with it locally. I think it's a good idea for revitalization...

Not to get overly negative about Kona, but I really wish the would have spent more time on the logo. It looks so clip arty with a stright, 'out of the box', font attached. Pretty hideous...

Other than that, I can't wait to see the Tikiyaki Orchestra there and I'm glad that the new owners are looking to preserve what Sam's was meant to be.

Can't wait to see both bands there,
as well as a return of the Martini kings if possible.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Something tells me after the Hukilau - Tikiyaki will be in high demand and there will be groupies in VW buses following them from Florida to Sams(Kona).

L

The wife and I stopped in to see what's up at Sam's to find Kona ready to serve us!
We both had the fillet and really liked the nice char they put on their steaks. Mine was cooked perfectly, but the wife likes her a little more cooked so she sent it back.

Tip

T

So far, I've heard nothing but positive reports on the food at Kona, as opposed to the last incarnation of Sam's, which seemed to have gotten many two thumbs down reports.

Groupies in VW buses...hmmm.

Anyway, I'll be announcing a KONA date for the Tikiyaki Orchestra very soon. Needless to say, we're all very excited to play there.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-06-02 14:58 ]

Anyway, I'll be announcing a KONA date for the Tikiyaki Orchestra very soon. Needless to say, we're all very excited to play there.

My ESP says I'll be missing whatever whatever you do there by one day!!!!!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

O

Kona's last Saturday

SK

My wife and I stopped by Kona Sam’s Sunday for their brunch as per WooHooWahine’s suggestion from the night before at the King Kukulele show, which was awesome.

Boy was I not prepared for what I walked into!
First off, it was open. Everything beyond this point is a bonus.

The amount and variety of food they had at their brunch
buffet was impressive and the quality was spot on.

When we walked in the back dining area there was a fellow,
Chuck Stone carving a tiki, cool!

On the stage at the front of the room there was LIVE authentic Hawaiian music, AND a few minutes later a floor show with 3 hula dancers and a young man performing traditional Polynesian dance.

Are you kidding me?? Live music, floor show, tiki carving, and a BUFFET….fugedaboudit.

The night before my wife was “volunteered” to hula in front of the crowd at the Purple Orchid, and ironically I was “volunteered” at brunch to hula with the dancers on stage.
It’s funny how things work out.

On one of my trips to the buffet I heard the familiar sound of Tikiyaki Orchestra being played in the restaurant’s sound system. As mentioned earlier in this thread, a good sign.

The only thing less than perfect with this more than pleasant setting were the volcano bowls from the night before I was still feeling. They were thwarting my ability to enjoy a tropical beverage in the vacation like scene I found myself in.

The live music goes on throughout the entire time of their brunch which is 10 to 2 I think? The dancers have two shows at 11:30 and 1:30 I think? I’d contact Kona Sam’s to confirm show and brunch times.

I just checked their website and it says this brunch costs $29 but I swear we paid $21 a person??? Regardless, we could not have been happier with the food, service, entertainment, and ambiance! We’ll be back for some more of that action. Thank you for the suggestion WooHooWahine.

Sofa King

Farewell Sam’s Seafood, Aloha Kona

KONA Restaurant (formerly Sam’s Seafood)
16278 S. Pacific Coast Highway, Huntington Beach, CA 92649
1 mile south of Seal Beach Blvd.
(562) 592-1321 | email

Dining Hours:
Tuesday - Sunday: 4pm - 10pm
Tiki Bar is open 1 hour later on non-entertainment nights and until 1am with entertainment.

In our authentic Tiki Bar
Join Us For The $2.95 Kona Happy Hour

Tuesday through Friday 4 to 7pm
Your choice of seven $2.95 Pupu's (Appetizers)

Cheeseburger Sliders (3)
Served on Kings Hawaiian Sweet Rolls

Quesadilla
Pineapple Mango Salsa

Steamed Edamame
Sprinkled with sea salt
Pulled Kalua Pork Sliders (3)
Served on Kings Hawaiian Sweet Rolls

Small South Sea Chop Salad

Sweet Potato Fries

Spinach & Artichoke Dip

Happy Hour wouldn’t be Happy without these great drink specials!
$2.95 Kona Brewery Draft Beer, $2.95 ABSOLUT Vodka (regular or flavors) Cocktail & one mixer,
$2.95 Columbia Crest Chardonnay, Cabernet or Merlot, $2.95 Off - Our Famous Mai Tai’s
Minimum Beverage Charge $5.00 per person. Available in the Tiki bar only, no take out, no substitutions

Every Tuesday is
TACO TUESDAY - ISLAND STYLE!
Complimentary South of the Island Buffet & Great $2.00 & $3.00 Drink Specials from 7 to 10pm.
$3.00 we call it specials on the hour after 10pm $25.00 OFF! Any Vodka from our bottle service menu.
Live DJ from Robert James Productions
Every Thursday is
KARAOKE NIGHT!
Choose from one of the over 30,000 songs, view your performance on You Tube, My Space & Craig’s List and a great Bose sound system from Encore Entertainment.

Coming Soon! Tiki Sunday Afternoons
The Tiki Culture is alive and well at KONA!

This summer get your Tiki on with live music, live Tiki carvings, Mai Tai making contest, you be the bartender for charity events, talk story with other Tikiphiles and much more!

Featured Live Entertainment in the Tiki Bar:
Friday May 23: Upstream (Reggae)
Saturday May 24: Twang (Classic Rock)
Friday May 30: Kevin Misajon (Rock & Roll New & Old)
Saturday May 31: John & Gene (Classic Rock & Soft Rock)

General Manager, Joe Zofrea, invites you to come enjoy the dining sensations of Executive Chef Roy Hendrickson, island inspired cocktails, 24 wines by the glass, live entertainment, in classical vintage South Pacific tropical Tiki filled environment complete with waterfalls and murals of the Islands.

Island Sunday Brunch Buffet
Featuring TUPUA, Music and Dance from the South Pacific!
Our Sunday Brunch Buffet features your favorites like cook to order omelette’s, thick sliced bacon, big breakfast sausages, Hawaiian Bread French toast with cinnamon rum raisin syrup, cooked to order white chocolate & Macadamia nut pancakes, ginger-rum glazed ham, peel & eat shrimp, snow crab legs, kalua pork, fresh salads, fresh fruit, teriyaki glazed salmon, baked fresh Sole with Mango Salsa, an excellent array of desserts, free flowing Domaine Ste. Michelle Champagne and more!
Adults $29.95, Children 2 to 12 $6.95, Children under 2 free

Sunset Menu
Available Tuesday thru Sunday 4pm to 6pm
Your Choice $10.95
Add our housemade Corn Chowder Soup, Chef’s Soup of the Season or our KONA Chop Salad or CZar side Salad for only $1.95.

Fish & Chips
Panko crusted Baja Sole, served with garlic tarter sauce,
skinny fries and South Pacific Slaw

Island Chicken
Boneless breast of chicken broiled with Teriyaki glaze,
served with sticky rice and veggie stir-fry

Miso Marinated Flank Steak
Half pound grilled flank steak served with garlic mashed
potato and veggie stir-fry

Blackened Mahi Fish Tacos
Two tacos overflowing with blackened Mahi Mahi served with mango salsa, Chipotle mayo and skinny fries.

Sweet & Sour glazed Salmon
Very fresh Atlantic Salmon served with garlic
mashed potato and veggie stir-fry

Shrimp Ceviche Salad
Our Aloha Shrimp Ceviche, and Fresh Avocado with Fresh Greens tossed in our Cherry Tomato Salsa and Crispy Won Ton Chips.

Weekday Specials
6pm to 9pm

Half Off Tuesday
Buy one dinner entree get the other for Half Off!
Valid on all “Surf” and “Turf” selections as well as our “Between the Bread” selections.
One half priced entree for each adult entree purchased.

Wine Wednesdays
Half price bottle of wine every Wednesday!
Get adventurous with your wine selections for 50% off our entire wine list!

Three for Thursdays - 3 great specials!
$3.00 Pupu’s (Appetizers)
With the purchase of any adult entree. One $3.00 Pupu for each adult entree purchased.

$3.00 off our Tiki Tropical Cocktails!

$3.00 off our Tropical Desserts!
Feel free to combine all Three Specials with your dinner entree
for complete evening of great Island Inspired Dining!

No substitutions, may not be combined with any other offer, promotion or coupon. Dine in only.

Good Info.
Mahalo for sharing, Woo Hoo Wahine.

Pages: 1 2 62 replies