Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sam's Seafood open!

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

I haven't been in yet, but a friend just told me he saw an "open" sign and cars parked in the lot.

I'm hoping to cruise by later tonight, but anyone have any other info?

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-09-03 17:41 ]

SoccerTiki told me as of yesterday it wasn't open. All the windows are boarded up. A lot of people do use the parking lot to go to the restaurants/bars across the street.

L

Sam's Seafood is now open on Saturday nights from 5-10PM. Bar only.

My boyfriend and I were walking in that area last night, and were both surprised to see the sign lit up and an OPEN sign in the window. We talked to the bartender and his wife, and they said the owners needed to keep the place operational to keep their liquor license. They told us to tell our friends to stop by, and that the drinks are cheap. :) I've never posted here before, but have lurked a few times... and figured you guys would be interested.

So it appears it will become a new restaurant eventually? Hmm...

That makes sense we drove by last night around 11:00ish and there was no signs of life there.

Awesome!....well...sorta.

Welcome aboard, lawr_rawr, and thanks for the information and for saving me a trip down there tonight. You didn't happen to notice the tiki decore? is it all still there?

I think I'll take a trip down next Saturday.

So it appears it will become a new restaurant eventually? Hmm...

I doubt it. The last time I spoke with the property owner he was determined to put up a "starbucks type minimall". I have a feeling that means flattening sam's. He's probably bidding his time with opening the bar until he can start his starbucks venture.

L

We actually walked through the entire building! Little bit creepy to wander around the dining rooms, with all the place settings on the tables. I'd never been there before; we'd been meaning to go for the longest time, and when we actually got around to going, we found it had closed just a week before. I'm not really sure if any of the decor has been removed, but it seemed to be chock full o' tiki. I tried to take some photos, but they didn't come out so well -- all of the rooms, except for the bar and main dining room, were nearly pitch black. Some of my photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lawrie77/tags/samsseafood/

The place was broken into shortly after it closed, the hostess said. Someone broke a window (I'm guessing that's why the front windows are boarded up now) and made off with some of the oldest paintings, the ones in at the front and opposite side of the building from the bar. They also got a few pieces of framed art or photographs -- you could see the bare spots on the wall. The bartender felt they were just vandals, but his wife seemed to think it was someone who was more collector than thief, since nothing was damaged and many valuable things were left behind.

Meh... the last thing that area needs is another "Starbucks type minimall". The shopping center/office complex next to Sam's is pretty horrible, with half the spaces vacant. I really hope that doesn't come to pass...

Nice first post, Lawr rawr.

Hang around.

UB

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2007-06-06 22:27 ]

Sam's looks very close to re-opening, probably by late june 07

D

All,
I drove up a few days ago and Sam's was in a state of suspended animation. It looked like they might be open on a short term basis, but I didn't see any boarded up windows. The place was closed, but it looked like it had been open earlier.

Dan

On 2007-12-31 21:32, danimal wrote:
All,
I drove up a few days ago and Sam's was in a state of suspended animation. It looked like they might be open on a short term basis, but I didn't see any boarded up windows. The place was closed, but it looked like it had been open earlier.

Dan  

In another thread, it was discussed Sam's was limiting its days open to Thurs - Sun.
What day did you visit?

Sam's is now Open Tuesday through Sunday. They have a Special "Sunset Dinner Menu" from 4:00pm-6:00pm with selected things from their Menu for Only $10.99!!

They also offer Happy Hour in the Bar from 5:00pm-7:00pm with Drink Specials and a $5 appetizer menu. Wildsville Man knows where to find Tiki in the OC. Dig!!!

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-02-28 08:09 ]

Deal.
Catch the sunset over the ocean and then to Sam's

S

Does this mean there might be a get together this weekend?

T

I came across a nice Blog about the old Sam's, pre-closing....great pics too....

http://www.thelope.com/2006/05/goodbye-sams-seafood.html

Here's Sam's New Updated website http://www.samshb.com

Mahalo for the link.
Plent of Whooning left to do at Sams.

SD

Have ate there several times since the make over and it was great every time !!

Hi Chris,

Thought you might like to know, there will be a meeting at Sam's Wednesday the 12th at 6pm from a consulting firm hired by the landlord to consider demolishing Sam's, rebuilding it with generic retail spaces with condo's above them and underground parking. This is not involving the city yet but we feel the landlord is obviously testing the waters. We found out by receiving a letter in today's mail addressed to "resident". Any support you could bring in opposition to this horrible possibility would be greatly appreciated. First MaiTai's on me!

Best regards,

Chuck Purrington
Managing Partner
Sam's Huntington Beach

New Owners at Sam's Seafood! New owners took over operations at Sam's late January of'08. Since then they have really listened to the customers. Larger portions, lower prices, kid friendly and so far the food is great! Anyone that was there last year in the summer remember how uncomfortably hot it was in the bar and dining room. This week 4 new air conditioners are being installed. Here's some very interesting news...The new owners are changing the name to Kona. They promise to keep the Tiki theme alive and actually add to it. They told my friend that the name Sam's has a tarnished reputation in the local area. They do promise to pay great respect to Sam's history and it's very long existence serving the coastal communities. They are talking about a "Sam's Wall of Fame" where they will put up pictures of the past and even pictures that people bring in. Farewell Sam, Aloha Kona.

T

Hell, I'm up for a night at Kona.

T

On 2008-04-14 08:43, drinqwine wrote:
New Owners at Sam's Seafood! New owners took over operations at Sam's late January of'08. Since then they have really listened to the customers. Larger portions, lower prices, kid friendly and so far the food is great! Anyone that was there last year in the summer remember how uncomfortably hot it was in the bar and dining room. This week 4 new air conditioners are being installed. Here's some very interesting news...The new owners are changing the name to Kona. They promise to keep the Tiki theme alive and actually add to it. They told my friend that the name Sam's has a tarnished reputation in the local area. They do promise to pay great respect to Sam's history and it's very long existence serving the coastal communities. They are talking about a "Sam's Wall of Fame" where they will put up pictures of the past and even pictures that people bring in. Farewell Sam, Aloha Kona.

Larger portions, lower prices, kid friendly,Sam's Wall of Fame and ADD TO THE TIKI.....

NOW we're talkin' !

Tiki Central "E Komo Mai" party at KONA maybe ?

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-04-14 17:37 ]

Here's their Specials:

HAPPY HOUR: MON – FRI: 4-7pm
Featuring: $5 Sky Martinis, $5 Mai Tais, $5 Margaritas, $1 off all draft beer, and $5 Appetizer specials

Weekly Specials

Two for Tuesday
Purchase one entree at regular price and receive another of equal or lesser value for 50% off. Valid on all "Surf" and "Turf" selections as well as out "Between the Bresad" selections. Available every Tuesday from 6pm to 10pm.

Wine Wednesdays
Half price bottle of Wine every Wednesday! Get adventurous with our wine selections for 50% off our entire wine list! Available every Wednesday from 4pm to 10pm. Make your reservations for an evening of fine wine and great Island Inspired Dining!

Three for Thursdays - 2 Great Specials!
Choose any appetizer (Pupu's) for only $3.00 with the purchase of any adult entree. One $3.00 Pupu for each adult entree purchased.

Choose any of our Tiki Tropical Cocktails or Martinis get $3.00 off! Feel free to combine this with your dinner entree and Pupu special for an evening of great Island Inspired Dining! Available every Thursday from 4pm to 10pm.

All weekday specials are not valid with any other promotion or discount.

A new name might be just what she needs.

I agree.....but for God's sake......please don't take down that Marlin!! It's hard to see anyway...It's not going to hurt anything. Maybe just unplug the "SAM's" lights....

On 2008-04-14 18:40, WooHooWahine wrote:
Here's their Specials:

HAPPY HOUR: MON – FRI: 4-7pm
Featuring: $5 Sky Martinis, $5 Mai Tais, $5 Margaritas, $1 off all draft beer, and $5 Appetizer specials

Weekly Specials

Two for Tuesday
Purchase one entree at regular price and receive another of equal or lesser value for 50% off. Valid on all "Surf" and "Turf" selections as well as out "Between the Bresad" selections. Available every Tuesday from 6pm to 10pm.

Wine Wednesdays
Half price bottle of Wine every Wednesday! Get adventurous with our wine selections for 50% off our entire wine list! Available every Wednesday from 4pm to 10pm. Make your reservations for an evening of fine wine and great Island Inspired Dining!

Three for Thursdays - 2 Great Specials!
Choose any appetizer (Pupu's) for only $3.00 with the purchase of any adult entree. One $3.00 Pupu for each adult entree purchased.

Choose any of our Tiki Tropical Cocktails or Martinis get $3.00 off! Feel free to combine this with your dinner entree and Pupu special for an evening of great Island Inspired Dining! Available every Thursday from 4pm to 10pm.

All weekday specials are not valid with any other promotion or discount.

One thing to beware of...we went a couple of weeks ago on a Thursday and loaded up on appetizers and drinks, thinking we were going to get the $3.00 deal. When the bill came, we almost passed out. The waitress told us that to get the special prices, you have to tell her before she rings out! She was very nice and re-rung us right away, but one or two more of those (godawful) Mai Tais and we may have missed it. The food is 1000 percent better than it was a year ago for sure. The drinks leave a little to be desired, which is unfortunate because they are quite proud of them. We asked if we could wander through the building while our food was being prepared, and they let us. If they can hold it together for another year or so, I think we found a place to hold a kickass Tiki wedding reception! :wink:

On 2008-04-14 22:36, Luckydesigns wrote:
I agree.....but for God's sake......please don't take down that Marlin!! It's hard to see anyway...It's not going to hurt anything. Maybe just unplug the "SAM's" lights....

If they get rid of the sign, I want to buy it!

We just went to the Mother's Day Brunch Sam's had. The new owners were VERY nice and the place is a lot cleaner than it used to be. We were married there in 2004. I was so bummed to see it close. The inside hasn't changed too badly. They seemed to be having some growing pains for the buffet, but the drinks were great in the bar.

Very glad to have it back!

Just got my local coupon magazine and Kona has a full page ad. Looks like they are trying to provide better service and reasonably priced food with the same aloha spirit. They advertised that they had just added 4 new air conditioners too. I have a really good feeling about the new owners, thats strictly my impression from the ad. It will be sad to see the landmark neon sign go, but at least they are not going to alter the interior (Stripping off the paint from the tikis inside would be my only suggestion) Go support Kona and be glad its not some condo complex.

Aloha nui loa

T

I had dinner at KONA (née Sam's Seafood) this week. I had never been to the restaurant before it closed, so I can't compare the before and after of it all, but we had a great meal! The food was incredible, and for two vegetarians in a fish joint, that's saying something! We even picked up two Sam's Seafood Tiki Mugs (which our server charmingly referred to as "cups").
The prices were reasonable, and the service was very good. I picked up a little paper advertising events and specials, with a note from the new owners on the front. They sound pretty serious about keeping the spirit of Sam's alive, while revamping the image.

Here's the note:

T

On 2008-05-17 15:04, tobunga wrote:
I had dinner at KONA (née Sam's Seafood) this week. I had never been to the restaurant before it closed, so I can't compare the before and after of it all, but we had a great meal! The food was incredible, and for two vegetarians in a fish joint, that's saying something! We even picked up two Sam's Seafood Tiki Mugs (which our server charmingly referred to as "cups").
The prices were reasonable, and the service was very good. I picked up a little paper advertising events and specials, with a note from the new owners on the front. They sound pretty serious about keeping the spirit of Sam's alive, while revamping the image.

Here's the note:

Tobunga...you beat me to the punch ! I just got back from Sam's / KONA . I was going to post that same brochure, thanx for saving me the trouble.

First of all, I didn't know what time they opened, so luckily I got there at 3:30 and they open at 4:00. We were the first ones in, and and as soon as we sat down and the music started playing I heard a very familiar tune..."Black Sand Blue Sea" by the Tikiyaki Orchestra !!! So, now I'm sitting in Sam's listening to my CD on the sound system...they played the entire CD, interspersed with some other Hawaiian music...No Rap, NO bad pop, no classic rock....So, needless to say, I was immediately stoked, both because they were playing my CD, AND the other music they played was appropriate Tiki music...a good sign, to say the least.

We had the Kona Un-Burger, which is a grilled Portobello sandwich....It was great...came with skinny fries which were alo great, and a cup of corn chowder, Also great.
We also had the blackened Mahi Tacos (part of the $10.0 sunset menu) and they were delicious as well. The place looks great inside, and the Hidden Village looked awesome too.

I spoke with the bartender, and manager who were really cool, and the bartender, tho' not a tikiphile, totally understands that the place needs to keep it's tikiness, because alot of people who come in there really are passionate about Tiki. According to him, the owner understand this as well, so the tiki-ness is intact, and they plan on really keeping it really tiki.

I also spoke to the bartender about the music there, and he said some of the bands they get are pretty horrible, and actually make people leave the bar....

So, I discussed with him having the Tikiyaki Orchestra in there, and am working on getting a gig there.

Now, for the SIGN :

They are keeping the Swordfish sign intact, and just changing the letters to read KONA, as soon as the city permits get approved. Some people will call it blasphemy, but if you read the above pamphlet, they have reasons for the name change, and honestly, as long as it remains a Tiki restaurant, I don't care what it's called. The good thing s the new owner really is really intent on keeping the Sam's legacy alive, and the keeping the decor and Aloha ambiance are paramount to the the restaurant.

Anyway, my experience was positive, and if you guys want to have this classic (tho' updated) Tiki Temple alive...GO THERE and Eat and drink. The previous "bad mana" ownership is gone, so support this place folks, it's the only Tiki Temple we got, and it's a damn good one.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-05-17 18:43 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-05-17 18:45 ]

Amen Bruddah,
I was there from 6 to 8:15 last night.
and your cd was playing again, as well as IZ.
and he had mentioned that you had just been in there.

One of the 12 of us in the group was talking to him, and he had mentioned that you were wanting to play there.
I think that would be a perfect call.

then around 8 ish, a horribly loud classic rock/blues band came on,
and I ran outta there as fast as cockroaches run, when you flick on the kitchen light.
they gotta get Tikiyaki, Menahunes, Martini kings and some slack key players in there on a regular basis,

what do you think about surf bands done quietly there?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

OK...Soccer Tiki called me from there and reported the CD being played too...Looks like The TC crowd is making a presence there.

That's good....I think KONA has good potential.

It's time for a TC night there.

Surf bands ? I think it would work.

I'm gonna be working on this situation big time....I really wanna play there.

You were there at 6 ? I must have missed you by minutes.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-05-18 23:17 ]

I am glad that Sam's spirit seems to be still alive in the new Kona. I think that I might be able to go check it out on Saturday. I will be in OC and could stop in for an early dinner. How is on the menu? When is the sunset menu offered and what is on that?

On 2008-05-20 20:41, sparklegem wrote:
I am glad that Sam's spirit seems to be still alive in the new Kona. I think that I might be able to go check it out on Saturday. I will be in OC and could stop in for an early dinner. How is on the menu? When is the sunset menu offered and what is on that?

Sunset menu is 4-6. Grilled Mahi Tacos, Tikiyaki..errrrr...Teriyaki Chicken, and a few others....Good stuff.

On 2008-05-20 22:12, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2008-05-20 20:41, sparklegem wrote:

Sunset menu is 4-6. Grilled Mahi Tacos, Tikiyaki..errrrr...Teriyaki Chicken, and a few others....Good stuff.

Here's the website that gives you all the facts...... http://www.samshb.com/

is that current , with the name change and all?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

That's RAD! I'm glad to hear that it's working out. Surf bands would be great! Definitely better than classic rock....yeah, I know what I said earlier....and I'm stoked that some of our bands are getting played there.

Now, what about the drinks?? Do they get that right too? Maybe we can get them to get a Grog Log...

Sucks that the sign is changing, but that compromise is change that I can live with...

Awesome.

I don't know about them changing the drink Recipes as they say that they found them in th e basement, But did they have coconut rum back in the day???
I think not.
but what ever drink you get. ask for a bunch of lime wedges to squeeze into it and it makes them alot better, and less sweet.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thank you for the link! Sounds terrific. We will try to make it on Saturday.

thanks for posting that sir,
seems Sam's Kona is really trying to make a great comeback.
if you get a drink, get some lime wedges to squeeze into them,
it helps trust me.

My parents went there on Sun. and said that the new owner is open to having partys and bands in the back room again.

yeeees.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TM

Keep your eyes open for June 15th...!!

And remember, unless the place gets filled with Tikiphiles on a regular basis, you KNOW what is going to happen! Yeah, you guessed it! Beyonce over the PA system, hooter's style waitresses and a just another sport's bar experience!!

TM

I just noticed an odd coincedence!

Both Tikiyaki and myself have 634 posts under our belts, and we both joined TC in may of '04!!

Fate??

On 2008-05-28 13:46, lucas vigor wrote:

Both Tikiyaki and myself have 634 posts under our belts, and we both joined TC in may of '04!!

Fate??

Yes, maybe you two should get married at Sam's or Oops I mean Kona but be sure to give Big Tiki Dude plenty of advance notice so he can make it.

Where are you registered?

TM

Bed, Bath and Beyond......in Palm Springs!!

T

On 2008-05-28 13:44, lucas vigor wrote:
Keep your eyes open for June 15th...!!

And remember, unless the place gets filled with Tikiphiles on a regular basis, you KNOW what is going to happen! Yeah, you guessed it! Beyonce over the PA system, hooter's style waitresses and a just another sport's bar experience!!

You guys playin there June 15th ?

After speaking with the owners for quite a while, I really don't think that will be the case Luke. These guys are determined to do it right. They really don't want that "Beyonce" party crowd element in there, they want to be a Restaurant first. That's not to say that you won't hear a private prty going on with crappy music, but I think that as far as the owners are concerned, the music in their restaurant will be Island-y at least, if not Tiki. Hell, I heard my record on loop there both times I was there.

Thankfully, these owners "get it".

That being said, The presence of the TC community is paramount to keeping this place the way it should be...T I K I !!!!

Look for a Tikiyaki Orchestra Show there this summer, probably in the coveted Hidden Village. YEA !!! :)

T

On 2008-05-28 14:06, Bora Boris wrote:

On 2008-05-28 13:46, lucas vigor wrote:

Fate??

Yes, maybe you two should get married at Sam's or Oops I mean Kona but be sure to give Big Tiki Dude plenty of advance notice so he can make it.

As long as it's in the Hidden Village and the waterfall is working again.

I vote for the Blue Hawaiians as the wedding band.

Boris, of course won't be able to make it because he'll be photographing some old Tiki Apartment in the Inland Empire :o

Look for a Tikiyaki Orchestra Show there this summer, probably in the coveted Hidden Village. YEA !!! :)

I am so looking forward to seeing you guys where you are ment to be seen. I am not saying parking lots and drive inns are bad, but Exotica should be enjoyed in its proper surroundings. Congrats and keep us posted on the dates.

P.S. Jonpaul rawks!!!

P.S.S. The Whale Rider and I where married in the Hidden Village!! So I consider Sam's or Kona's my home away from home.

Pages: 1 2 62 replies