Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

CrazyAL Retrospective Show Walk-through, Sat Oct 21st... pg4

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

CA

thanks for all who came out to Long Beach and supported the locals, dropping by my both although i was not there, to check out what was new and old.

Let's do it again in Hollywood!!! Fri Oct 13th at 8:00PM
'la Luz de Jesus Gallery'
4633 Hollywood Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90027
Phone 323-666-7667 Fax 323-663-0243
800-YRU-POOP

Enjoy a fantastic set of old school Hawaiian jams with
THE SMOKE'N MENEHUNES!!!!!
at my.........
Ten Year Retrospective Show commemorating
CrazyAL Tiki#3 "King Tiki" sculpted Ten Years Ago in October......."21st Century Tiki Show" 10/04/96

a note from Otto V.S.
"In 1996 I co-curated "20th Century Tiki" at La Luz de Jesus Gallery. It was the first Tiki art gallery show ever and spawned many others around the country. The success of that show and the publicity it generated sparked the current Tiki art movement. Meanwhile I had met Crazy Al and had been following his career as a creator of miniatures and a budding Tiki carver. It is no accident that Al's inclusion in that show has led to his 10-year retrospective happening at La Luz in October. His obvious talent and singular creations makes him stand out from the crowd."

I hope to see you all on another Fri in Oct. at La Luz, Oct.13th, where Tiki#3 Mug will debut at my retrospective show.
http://www.tikimania.com/docs/ALshow.html

The King is "10 inches tall" Oh'my! and holds a wap'in 28oz!!

Only 50 hand painted two toned mugs will be made. Available only through La Luz De Jesus Gallery starting Oct 13th,'06.

For the 'King', I've developed a 'Royal Gold' Glazing technique of Purple and Gold. At first it appears to be a tiki brown but then the hues of purple and gold show through.
(no metallic colors have been used)

There will also be available an edition of 100 without the two toned extra application.

Spacial Glazing, Resin Bone and War Club Miniature add-on's... I'm still working out the kinks and pricing.... I think my Bone is two Big... or at least to Long.....might need a trip to the Rabi..

Don't knock Holden till you walk a mile in his 'Chon-es'... making cool crap is slow go and frustrating. But worth it!?!
I think a just paid out a record for a 'per-price' on production. Why do people look at you cock-eyed when you ask them to make it look like the original sculpt......?
Creating a tiki mug that looks like a 'tiki' and not a 'mug' is a bitch, at least to make it some what affordable.

Stay tuned for more details..........

Five More Tikis! of the past ten years... to delicate to brave the elements of LB... will be on hand and never before seen Bone Production artifacts and CrazyAL Crap on display...

And new Product.. me hopes... like these

AND!!!!.................................

[ Edited by: crazy al 2006-09-20 23:13 ]

[ Edited by: crazy al 2006-09-28 09:54 ]

[ Edited by: crazy al 2006-09-28 09:56 ]

[ Edited by: crazy al 2006-10-02 07:54 ]

[ Edited by: crazy al 2006-10-17 15:51 ]

Another "Can't Miss" event!!!! la luz de Jesus is a great gallery. Tons of fun stuff throughout the store! I saw Al's Tikis at the Long Beach Tiki Fest...It will be great to see them inside with all the good lighting! Tiki Ti is just down the street....Makes for a great evening!
WoooooHooooooOOOOO!

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-10-12 10:44 ]

Crazy AL,

Your work is inspirational! I really liked the feature o you in TIKI MAGAZINE. Here's my question, how did you acquire all your Tikis back for the retrospective. Did you have a current list of contact information on everyone who has purchased one of your tikis? It sounds like a huge task!

Brad~

CA

it was a bit of an ordeal, but mostly because folks freaked out that there tiki would be missing... retrospectives happen all the time in museum and gallery shows, but i guess tikis have a bit more connected to those who own them.

this was a trip to N.Cal to retrieve vintage APE tikis and others....

I planned the road trip to SF during the SF Pub Craw, so it was not all that bad.

When do we get out tikis back?!?

Arrrr!!!

Anything for uncle C'Al.!!

The La Luz show is gonna be da kine!!!!!!!

Do not miss it!!!!

Party at Svens house after Tiki Ti closes ?

Even if Sven isn't around???
sweet, does he have a pool??
ha ha ha
Jeff(bigtikidude)

CA

Da Big T- Dude was one of my first costomers... hanging out at the HB Surf Museum watching Shag play in the Tiki Tones in the parking lot!! had to replace at least one key chain of his in the past ten years......

Al,
Yeah I bought a Shag/Lono tiki pendant from you also.
I know I still have it somewhere around here, just wish I could find it and sport it at an event.
Congrats on all the great work and sucess over the Years Al.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

we gonna hit the Tiki Ti before and after???

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-09-12 20:36 ]

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-09-12 20:39 ]

T

Al, cool stuff and congrats. I left you personal meesage Tuesday night . Call me , Tiki-Ray

CA

i got the glaze worked out for the Oct 13th show!! now i just have to get them all done in time.......eeeek

pics and explanation up top

AND!!!! the SMOKE'N MENEHUNES!!!!!! TOOOO!

[ Edited by: crazy al 2006-09-28 10:26 ]

Oh yeah, we are going to be there for sure! I am looking forward to this, and of course, we consider it an honor!

T

Ten years later and now you are hitting us with three years worth of work all at once. That was the plan all along.

is anybody going early? i've got to have one of those slamming mugs. i've been to the store "Wacko" that the gallery is connected to, and seen the gallery but never been to an opening there.

We are really looking forward to coming to this great show, and seeing the Amazing Al in action!! Tiki Ti's sounds great after, any excuse for a few cocktails!!!
Looking forward to meeting a few of you guys and hanging out.
See you then!
Sue and Dave.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Oct 1, 2006 3:09 PM

Good luck with the show Al, let me know when the regular version of #3 is ready to go on your site. Those door handles are the business - I think I'll need a pair for my rock cupboard!

CA

it only took two years!! but the Spinning tiki finally Spins!! dang now all i have to do is make Fire! Will Billy let me try to burn his place down???

three days before the huki-hoo and then four days gone... 100+ mugs to create...........weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Menehunes don't fail me now!!!!!!!!

speaking of which.... THE SMOKING MENEHUNES ARE PLAYING THE SHOW!!!!

see ya there!

[ Edited by: crazy al 2006-10-02 07:56 ]

TM

You bark, we bite!!!

Anything for you, c-al!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Oct 2, 2006 7:11 PM

Who this Crazy Al guy?

Why he have a ten year retrospective and why he considered crazy?

TMF

Have to be in town can not think of another place to be.....

On 2006-10-02 07:45, crazy al wrote:
it only took two years!! but the Spinning tiki finally Spins!!

This is Big!! C'Al's been in the lab with this one for many moons! Can't wait to see it!!

dang now all i have to do is make Fire! Will Billy let me try to burn his place down???

Stone???

[ Edited by: crazy al 2006-10-02 07:56 ]

On 2006-09-10 21:09, RevBambooBen wrote:

Ben the prankster... This is the official disclaimer that there will be no "Party at Sven's house", since Sven will be working, on the other end of the world, in Bavaria, by that time.

Sure would have liked to see all your babies lined up, Al, sorry!

On 2006-10-04 10:04, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2006-09-10 21:09, RevBambooBen wrote:

Ben the prankster... This is the official disclaimer that there will be no "Party at Sven's house", since Sven will be working, on the other end of the world, in Bavaria, by that time.

Sure would have liked to see all your babies lined up, Al, sorry!

Arrr! You finally found this. Spoiled my plans of everyone lining up in Paper Sven Masks again!!!

Back to the drawing boards...

G
GROG posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 9:09 AM

B

Grog, you took an Excellent picture, How did you get C'Al to pose for you. )))

S
squid posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 11:38 PM

Hey Al...Are ya bringin' yer coconuts? I'll be an honorary Smokin' Menehune for the evening so you'd better be ready to jam!

CRAZY AL ROCKS! See y'all there.

TM

Oh man, Squid and Al!! That's gonna turn up the heat a notch or two!

Squid is an awesome drummer, and Al---well, he needs no explanation!

I can already feel the voodoo happening!

S

Looking forward to groovin' with the world-famous Lucas Vigor DOGHOUSE SLAPDOWN!

I'll bring an extra drumstick so Grog can poke Kirby!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 11, 2006 9:35 PM

GROG willing to pass the drumstick around so others may enjoy poking Kirby as well.

C'Al! GROG want GROG's mug#1!!!

See ya'll at the show.

T

Sven, you don't have to be in town for us to have a party at YOUR house ! ! !

Who's in ? ? ?

Best wishes Al for the Hollywood show.

TB

[ Edited by: tikibob 2006-10-12 02:18 ]

TM

Does anyone know how the parking is over there?

Parking is a bit of a nightmare in that area. I recommend getting there early. Also, bring burly friends to help unload your equipment since you may be in for a bit of a walk.

S

Kate's right. Parking sucks but you can offload in the back (through the gate) and park on a side street somewhere near Bakersfield.

Aloha...

What time will the Smokin' Menehunes be playing?

Any info on the plan for the sale of the hand painted two-tone King Tiki mug? On sale @ 8pm? I didn't see the price posted yet...do we know how much it'll be? Cash or plastic?

We've got to make it an early night so I just wanted to know what to expect.

Mahalo.

[ Edited by: Berdoo John 2006-10-13 13:15 ]

Just a few photos from tonight:

The Smokin' Menehunes...

Special guest drummer - Squid

The audience

The tikis and mugs were fantabulous. Crazy Al puts on a great show!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Oct 14, 2006 2:57 AM

2:45 am. Just got back from closing down the Tiki Ti with Crazy Al, Jon Paul, Squid, DJ Lee, Piphiro, significant others, and etc. after Crazy Al's retrospective.

The Menehunes were definitely Smokin' with Al and Squid, and a little King Kukulele to boot.

And about Al's carvings..... HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!! Is an understatement. To see SO MUCH quality, craftmanship, and skill----awesome. Simply awesome. A big salute to you, Al.
GROG going to go back again while it's still, all in one place. Just amazing stuff.

Thanks Al.

The retrospective is amazing! Great and awesome work Crazy Al. I went to see some well carved tikis, but I was blown out of my socks! Not only are they GREAT carved tikis, but they are carved with such expression and such endless creativity.

Plus, there was really great music!

The Smokin Menehunes rock!

They so rock!

And Squid, you rock!

but most of all, Crazy Al YOU REALLY REALLY ROCK!
You rock the Tiki Culture World.
My life is better for having seen that show.

S

AL- Congratulations on a most wonderful show! Your carvings are jaw-dropping man.

The Menehunes smoked as usual. (but what exactly is it they smoke?) Thanks guys for letting me sit in! Tons o fun.

Who's bright idea was it to close down Tiki Ti?

Must.. find....aspirin.....

WOW!!!!! FANTASTIC AL!!!!!
What a great way to start the weekend. The Smoking Menehunes jammed. It was really nice to see everyone again.
As always had so much fun.

Here are some pictures:

Somewhere on your journey don't forget to turn around and enjoy the view.

[ Edited by: goddess-sun 2006-10-14 11:22 ]

[ Edited by: goddess-sun 2006-10-14 11:28 ]

[ Edited by: goddess-sun 2006-10-14 11:39 ]

[ Edited by: goddess-sun 2006-10-14 11:44 ]

[ Edited by: goddess-sun 2006-10-14 11:51 ]

WOW!

What a great night! Thank you Al for letting us play for your show!

What a total honor to have King Kukulele, Al and Squid all at the same time playing with us! The Menehune's band volvo rolled in to our home base around 12:00 (after a hair-raising ride with Uncle Bong at the helm, hands firmly at 10 and 2 on the wheel) but I was too excited to sleep right away.

King, as always your Uke playing and singing blow me away. Squid, you suck for not living down here in OC. I really hate you because you are just about the best drummer I have played with! You are one of those natural musicians who does not need to rehearse or even know the song-you just automatically know how to play the exact right thing each time!

C-al-you are a giant among artists and musicians-it's always a treat to watch you in action.

I also enjoyed seeing so many of you TC'ers there! Talk about the "in" crowd!! You guys are IT!

Mahalo!!!

mahaloz for all the pics and comments from what must have been an amzing evening. :tiki:

Al!
What a Great exhibition! Truly some of the Best of the Best! And I'm not just talking about all the In-Friggin-Credible carvings and memorabilia,but the crowd and music as well! This show should tour the Land because everyone should see it! It would bring tons of Tiki joy and delight to the multitudes! Of course, you'd have to cram yourself,the Menehunes,King Kukulele,and Squid into the Semi,but what an adventure that would be! Thanks for all your hard work setting up and retrieving pieces for this Landmark Show! Congrats!

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Oct 14, 2006 2:56 PM

Truly one of the most talented, innovative and creative individuals in tikidom! You're a superstar Al - big congrats on your anniversary show.
Thanks to those who took some photos so I could enjoy the show down here in NZ too. I just love what you guys have going on in California, and will continue to live vicariously through these threads.

Damn, really wanted to go, sorry I missed it, but straight 4 days of 13-14 hour days took a toll on me last night.

H

Al, congrats on your 10th anniversary show. Sorry I couldn't make it.I am glad I got to see a little of it on Thursday. The few pieces that I saw looked great.

CA

HOLLY-MAHAaaaaaaaaaL000000's!!! Bat'iki Phil's!!!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR COMING OUT! Great time, even though i showed an hour late!! what the??? hadn't eaten in a day, and then waited 40 minutes, in the rain, for a cab ride back from the restauraunt..... son of o'bitch... thanks for sticking around and all the great support! this is the first time i've seen this post in three or four days and what a great surprise to see Squid cutting up chops on the skins!!! Fri'cken the best!! Thanks!! the gallery was blow away by the MENEHUNES!!! and the drums rocked the place better then the best volcano episode on Gilligan's Island!!
The VR's are fantastic and the pics are awesome too....

If you missed the show, it's up till after next weekend!! and I'm planing an "Artist's Walk-through" Next Saturday afternoon! since i never got any of the explanations of the early years down on name tags..... I'll be introducing my new 'Drawer Pulls' then too since they never make it to the show room floor either.

Tiki walk and talk and Tiki Ti happy hour!!!!!!! Who's in??

Thanks again everyone!!

Great pic's thanks for sharing the show! ...newly exposed to the wonders of Crazy Al's many talents, I kneel with humbled mien.

Onward to another 10 C'Al!!! :tiki:

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Wow what a night. The whole drive out I was wondering how long the line was going to be, and hoping the rock line wouldn't have started again. :wink: Well I was pleasantly surprised to find only 4 people in line, in fact I walked in and went right past the register where the King Tikis were being sold. I was a little overwhelmed with the what else was in the store having never been there. So I got my mug, then met up with Dr.TikiMojo across the street to make a tiki mug trade and also get my Gecko wall sconce, and then I cruised the store/gallery while enjoying the tunes. Smokin' Menehunes were Outstanding! And the King Tiki mug is my new favorite...absolutely amazing job Crazy Al!!

Now for a bit off topic...

The whole drive home east on the 210 I enjoyed a nice lightning display only to realize later that that particular thunderstorm was located just north of my house near the Cajon Pass. I got home to Berdoo at 11:30 anxious to show my sick girlfriend the loot and rub it about what she missed out on, only to find my neighborhood is flooded, complete with stalled cars in front of my house. No damage to my house, but the rushing water was about 2 feet deep at the gutter and my sidewalks were 6" deep rivers. My entire backyard had 2" of water on it. Once I got the car parked on high ground and made it into the house with the goods my smile came right back. :) Fortunately nothing was ruined in the backyard but once everything had dryed out I had quite a muddy mess to clean up.

[ Edited by: Berdoo John 2006-10-16 15:34 ]

Happy hour at Tiki Ti? Do you really need to ask????? Now if I can just get you to bring me my freakin' mugs I'll be able to sip a Ray's Mistake from #2. Great show! We had a blast. See ya Sat.

Pages: 1 2 64 replies