Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Anyone remember Trader Vics Shrunken Heads??

Pages: 1 10 replies

TH

My mom and dad always tell me about when, back in the day, they went to trader Vics in Emmeryville.. They used to have REAL shrunken heads in the little porthole windown where you walk to the dining room..

My mom semi knew Burgeron (sp?) and I think he said they were stolen at some point..

Always thought that was a cool story.. Anyone remember that at all???

Side note.. My moms parents met my dad for the first time at that Trader Vics!!

:)

T
thejab posted on Fri, Sep 8, 2006 4:15 PM

I don't remember seeing any in Emeryville, but there's one in a case at the Mai-Kai in Fort Lauderdale. And there are several at the American Museum of Natural History in NYC.

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-09-08 16:16 ]

H
Helz posted on Fri, Sep 8, 2006 4:52 PM

At the Mai Kai:

Oh my god, how effed up is THAT! (I never could get over looking at those kinds of things--the fake rubber stuff is okay, but real shrunken heads in a restaurant? Almost too weird.)

That's really interesting. I loved my rubber shrunken head as a kid. Now I'm doing Gecko as himself and as a shrunken head. While I'm watching my post for Andy I'm practicing putting on photos, Wendy

..i seriouslt doubt those heads were/are real....it is insanely illegal to traffic in or possess real shrunken heads in this country or to try to import them......if they still exist at all....most are just made of sheep skin hide and made to look authentic.....

your better off buying one of my shrunken head lamps and forget this "real shrunken heads at trader vics" fantasy.......

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2006-09-09 07:40 ]

Ohhhhh, it just gives me the willies thinking about it. Of course that thing in the picture is fake. Of course it is. Couldn't be real. I'm fine. (takes a drink)

R

On 2006-09-09 07:39, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..i seriouslt doubt those heads were/are real....it is insanely illegal to traffic in or possess real shrunken heads in this country or to try to import them......if they still exist at all....most are just made of sheep skin hide and made to look authentic.....

your better off buying one of my shrunken head lamps and forget this "real shrunken heads at trader vics" fantasy.......

I'm not really sure about that. You certainly can have human remains, bones and skulls depending on where (and who) you are in the USA..............pickled livers anyone? :o As artifacts it might be legally OK as well, now in a restaurant the health dept. might have a problem.....but they find a problem with everything. :lol: Now in the Philippines I was offered skulls of Jap solders by the local decendants of headhunters in Ifugao :evil:

Meanwhile where can I see one of your lamps? :wink:

TH

This wasnt anytime within the past 30 years.. it was a long time ago..
And Vic Burgeron (sp) son confirmed they were real to my mom (he was always at the TV in Emmeryville... His daughter and I went to the same school, and had the same birthday, and we were always at Trader Vics for the b-days..)

He said they were stolen at some point though....

Thats all I know of the story really..

..victor bergeron was also somewhat of an entertainer and show man....he was probably puttin' yer mom on with that story...ya know, as part of the trader vics schtick to get people talkin about it.....it was just good business p.r., that's all.....

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.