Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Hawaiian Website - Tiki Gods!

Pages: 1 6 replies

K
Kana posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 5:33 PM

Find information about the weapons, warriors, and society of ancient Hawaii. Including Hawaiian history, Tiki Gods, Captain James Cook, Kahunas, ancient Polynesians, ancient weapons, tribal society and taboos.

http://www.mythichawaii.com

Coming soon, tiki carvings history section.

Let me know what you think!

Nice post. Very informative.

Great work! Now there is an easily readable resource for Tiki myth seekers, as far as Hawaii is concerned. And I like that you use the term Tiki, not the politically correct ki'i. It's what Polynesians use now all over the islands, be it Tahiti, Tonga or Hawaii, and that's what counts. Leave the differentiations of Ki'i, Ti'i, and so on to the linguists, it's the appellation TIKI that has mana.

And I never heard about this, this is the coolest:

Ancient Hawaiian lava sledding
Hawaiian lava sledding (Hawaiian: he‘e holua, "mountain surfing") is a traditional sport of Native Hawaiians. Similar to wave surfing, he‘e holua involves the use of a narrow 12 foot long, 6 inch wide wooden sled (papaholua) made from native wood like Kau‘ila or Ohia. The sled is used standing up, lying down, or kneeling, to ride down man-made courses of lava rock, often reaching speeds of 50 mph or greater. In the past, Hawaiian lava sledding was considered both a sport and a religious ritual for honoring the gods.

I like the characterization of Maui as a tiki god. However, I have never seen any tiki representations of Maui.

B

YES, Definitely some Excellent info here.Needs more pictures, hence your quest. Hope you find what you need.

K
Kana posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 5:23 PM

Thanks for all your input on http://www.mythichawaii.com. I'm going to start putting up featured artists. (With permsion, credit and contact info of the artists)

I'm also looking for more info on Lava sledding. I hope to find a lot of stuff to help keep your creative juices flowing.

Mahalo!

C

Neat website; I was an anthropology major in college so I like reading about this type of stuff. Did I read correctly that early Hawaii didn't have ceramics? Kind of funny that one of the most popular Tiki collectibles are ceramic tiki mugs!! Did other Polynesian cultures have ceramics? Just curious. I assumed that all early tribal societies made some sort of ceramics for food storage.

Pages: 1 6 replies