Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

australian tiki finder

Pages: 1 10 replies

Australian tiki bar(stards)
(and others!) should check out these genuine fijian carvings - not precisely tiki, but very oceanic! @ http://www.balabala.com.au
also http://www.outregallery.com supplies many modern tiki needs (mugs, bosko, shag etc)
http://www.royalthatch.com.au/fibre_thatch.shtml have all the bamboo, reed screening and other structural bar materials you are searching for.

if anyone has other bar finds, please continue this topic!

regards from Mililani

[ Edited by: mililaniau on 2002-12-28 21:36 ]

[ Edited by: mililaniau on 2002-12-28 21:39 ]

H
hmc posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 2:53 PM

I'm setting up a Polynesian - Tiki Gallery & Bar in Melbourne. Anticipated opening is now March (was Sept 2005, then Feb 2006... now I'm hoping for March... thanks to local council for taking SO LONG!)

Anyway, point is, there will be a Polynesian - Tiki Gallery & Bar coming soon in Melbourne, Australia. Finally*.

*Smorgy's doesn't cut it, Outre is FANTASTIC for a Tiki fix, haven't visited the Cobra bar yet (at the Tote) but I've been told it's a "nice" effort...but other than that, there is absolutely nothing here in Aust. So yay for me!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 4:34 PM

Welcome to TC people! Cant wait to hook up with some Aussie tiki heads!

H
hmc posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 4:39 PM

On 2006-01-14 16:34, hewey wrote:
Welcome to TC people! Cant wait to hook up with some Aussie tiki heads!

Thanks Hewey, I did a search for "Australia" in TC and found all these posts I could add to ;o)

Hence the sudden surge of Aust Tiki posts (note that a lot are really old ie: 2003... but I fugured what the heck!)

P

Helen, whereabouts is your tiki bar located? Would love to check it out when it gets going. Apart from the occasional drive past one of the Smorgy's there's next to nothing tiki in Melbourne!

[ Edited by: PEDDRO 2006-01-15 20:20 ]

H
hmc posted on Mon, Jan 16, 2006 3:11 AM

Hi PEDDRO,

Gallery & Bar will be in Newport - Western suburbs of Melbourne... near it's yuppy counterparts - Williamstown and Yarraville ;o)

I agree with the Smorgy's bit... I've only seen the Burwood one and want to have dinner at the Bundoora one as I want to see the "active" volcano in action.

I'll let you all know when the bar is open, I'd love to see some other Tiki people!

P

I've only eaten at Smorgy's Bundoora once...kinda reminded me of what I imagined was McDonald's where you have to get the bad food yourself! I've never eaten at the ones in Burwood or Ringwood...nor Geelong (but that one obviously has no tiki theme outside)....although, ironically, I've had lunch with the guy that OWNS the Smorgy's chain....at a Chinese restaurant, of all things!

Melbourne's STARVING for a good tiki bar/gallery, I think. Outre doesn't really do much for me anymore....one display case (and lack of "atmosphere") doesn't really fill my void, although I haven't been there in a good 2 months so things may have improved!

Good luck anyway Helen. A heap of pics and info BEFORE it opens would be appreciated, I'm sure!

H

hi helen,

this is great news! i can't wait to visit your tiki bar when i'm next down in Melbourne. Please keep us up-to-date with the progress!

we have only one semi-tiki bar here in brisbane - just a little downstairs area of a cafe in Newfarm has been decked out in some tiki-style decor and it's pretty cool. I know the owner and he has the right spirit and some great plans so hopefully he can continue with the theme.

cheers,
harro.

M

Hi Guys!

The last couple of months I've been working as Chief Bartender for a pair of Tango dance teachers who have been slowly converting their dance studio into a fully operational Tiki Bar in Melbourne! We're at 327 Swan Street, Richmond, and the best night to come for drinks and atmosphere is Saturday night (so far, at least).

Our drinks are pretty much on track, and my boss assures me (after extensive research) that the Tiki Drinks we make are far better than the drinks in any of the big Cocktail bars in Melbourne that offer Tiki Drinks.

The place has a real sense of heart, and it's a pleasure to work there. It's still operational as a dance studio during the week, but come Saturday night it's my domain, and I mix a solid menu of over a dozen cocktails at very reasonable prices. It's a little out of the way, but well worth the trip.

A few Tiki nerds have found the bar so far, and the feedback has been pretty positive.

It'd be great to see some people from Tiki Central there - We love hearing from Tiki true believers!

Come and say hi to me, or my Bosses, Dave and Dianne.

Cheers,

Cocktail Kev.

B

YEah, We need More tiki Down Under, where are you folks hiding, come on out. Tikify

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 6, 2006 7:21 AM

yay! More Aussie tiki :)

But none in Sydney :(

Pages: 1 10 replies