Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

First order from Munktiki, a.k.a. Ohana Hut in hand....

Pages: 1 37 replies

So I've been working on my schoolwork all morning, jumping any time I hear a big diesel come down my street. The recycling man and Fedex guy gave me false positives to the one diesel I wanted to see. The trusty P-600 UPS truck. But finally as I was taking the Netflix movies out to the postman, she arrived.

And I was like a kid on Xmas morning. I took to the box like I would a plate lunch after a triple-tank dive run off the coast of Maui. First off, let me say that it was my first (and certainly not my last) from Munktiki. The only thing I was worried about was the packing, having worked for UPS and having seen first hand what can happen in the operation. But I wasn't disappointed. They pack stuff like I would. Double boxed, heavily padded, one of the best pack jobs, if not the best, that I've seen from a retailer.

So after I unwrap all the goodies, I find that the Wannabe Bastard (in black), is #99 out of 100. I almost didn't order this, but I thought, "if I don't, they'll be gone by the time I do." So I'm glad I did. I think that this mug will be my 'go to' drinking mug. And I picked up a skull too, because it reminded me of something out of "A Nightmare Before Xmas."

Now on to the Ohana Hut (#18/100). Simply put, it's frigging gorgeous. The colors, the detail, it's just incredible. I can't wait to try it out. Personally I may have to christen it with a quadruple mojito, since I have a freezer full of silver rum and a garden full of mint, but I'm taking suggestions.

Anyhow, I'm going to get back to the schoolwork, but I just wanted to share the incredibly positive experience that I had with Munktiki. Cheers!

[ Edited by: karmalaundry 2006-09-25 13:09 ]

P

your lid is on wrong. please repackage and send it back.

Tough crowd! :)

[ Edited by: karmalaundry 2006-09-25 15:33 ]

I was excited about getting mine too, karmalaundry. I got notice that it would be delivered Friday. I was working out of town but was returning home Friday. First thing I asked about when I walked in was, "Did I get a package from Munktiki today?" Sure enough it was there waiting for me. I didn't even take the time to unpack my suitcase before I opened the Ohana Hut package. Stuckie did a FANTASTIC job on the packaging to ensure it didn't get broken. (Insert "Yeeah Stuckie here!!") It was safe and in 2 pieces (like it should have been). Since I had seen the prototype at Forbidden Island, I knew what to expect, but somehow, because it was mine, it was so much bigger and more detailed.

I share your excitement, karmalaundry. I will be christening mine very soon too.

• Myke

Nice pics! Very cool.....

I'm starting to get a little nervous. When I check the UPS tracking number, I get this message:

YOUR PACKAGE HAS EXPERINCED AN EXCEPTION

AN INCORRECT ROUTING AT A UPS FACILITY CAUSED THIS DELAY;THE PACKAGE WAS MISSORTED AT THE HUB. IT HAS BEEN REROUTED TO THE CORRECT DESTINATION SITE

This message hasn't changed since yesterday morning. I hope it didn't get lost...

Very thorough packaging.. Thank Stuckie.

On 2006-09-26 10:32, ookoo lady wrote:
I'm starting to get a little nervous. When I check the UPS tracking number, I get this message:

AN INCORRECT ROUTING AT A UPS FACILITY CAUSED THIS DELAY;THE PACKAGE WAS MISSORTED AT THE HUB. IT HAS BEEN REROUTED TO THE CORRECT DESTINATION SITE

This message hasn't changed since yesterday morning. I hope it didn't get lost...

I think it's the curse of that delivery address. :wink:

CL

As someone who deals with UPS daily (home office), I think they just hired their holiday help. Two of my packages (non Tiki) received the same message last week. It was their error. It was straightened out quickly. So it's probably just the holiday help. :wink:

As someone who used to work for UPS, that just means that your package got loaded in the wrong trailer/package car/masher/etc., they realized it, and fixed the problem. It usually means that the person loading said container was asleep at the switch. :wink:

It should be fine. :)

On 2006-09-26 13:59, Coco Loco wrote:
As someone who deals with UPS daily (home office), I think they just hired their holiday help. Two of my packages (non Tiki) received the same message last week. It was their error. It was straightened out quickly. So it's probably just the holiday help. :wink:

The holiday help doesn't usually start until next month, and even when they do, they usually aren't in charge of the QC, they're just bodies to dump on high volume areas with a "regular" checking the packages before they get loaded. Holidays are anything but fun in hub. :)

Happy to report that O.H 1/100 is safe and sound and in my lovin' monkey arms. Man these things are packed so well that not even the USPS could break um.
Thanks for everything Stuckie!!

Chongolio

I decided to decorate mine.

On 2006-09-26 13:59, Coco Loco wrote:

Excellent! My re-routing plan is working... .

Now the UPS website is giving a different message:

YOUR PACKAGE HAS EXPERIENCED AN EXCEPTION

POSTAL CODE LISTED FOR THE RECEIVER IS INCORRECT. UPS IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN CORRECT POSTAL CODE AND COMPLETE DELIVERY.;THE ADDRESS HAS BEEN CORRECTED. THE DELIVERY HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED

Stay tuned...

Seriously - call them (UPS) right now.

I used to live in Santa Cruz. UPS did that once for a package for my husband and found another person in the SC area with his name and sent it there. Once we figured this other guy had our stuff, UPS couldn't get it back from him. I even called him and he wouldn't answer his phone or return our messages.

The very worst part was that this OTHER GUY's address was now in OUR "routing file" (or some such thing) and on a regular basis (three more times) our packages were delivered to him, even one with MY name on it.

UPS was able to get our stuff back (all but first item - which was, like, a $15 piece of replaceable junk, so we didn't persue it further). We ended up moving soon after the whole fiasco.

So call them and confirm where your Ohana Hut is going. I'll bet eveythings okay, just call to make sure...

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2006-09-27 13:57 ]

RB

TCOH #45 arrived today in Portland. Beee-you-ti-ful! An amazing piece work by some very talented folks.

But wait, wasn't it was supposed to come filled with rum? :)

I took Haole'akamai's advice and called UPS. I confirmed that they had the correct address, suite number, zip code, etc. They assured me that the package would be delivered today.

It didn't arrive, and now this is the new message on the tracking page:

A CORRECT SUITE NUMBER IS NEEDED FOR DELIVERY. UPS IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN THIS INFORMATION;THE ADDRESS HAS BEEN CORRECTED. THE DELIVERY HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED

A DELIVERY CHANGE REQUEST FOR THIS PACKAGE WILL BE PROCESSED;THE PACKAGE IS BEING HELD FOR FUTURE DELIVERY. UPS WILL ATTEMPT DELIVERY ON THE DATE REQUESTED

POSTAL CODE LISTED FOR THE RECEIVER IS INCORRECT. UPS IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN CORRECT POSTAL CODE AND COMPLETE DELIVERY.;THE ADDRESS HAS BEEN CORRECTED. THE DELIVERY HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED

Stay tuned...:)

T

What can 'brown do for you'?

Aloha, for those that were concerned earlier about the packaging, UPS gave a noble effort to destroy TCOH # 43, but alas they have failed...

You all can imagine the look on my face as I gasped at the sight of the box. As the UPS guy tried to sneak out the front door of my office I said "Uhhhhhh hang on a second, did you see this box? The contents are not replaceable" We opened the box together and once we saw the inner box looked ok he said "If it IS damaged tell me when I come back for the afternoon pickup". Well it was perfect, in fact I think rays of light came out of the inner box as my Ohana Hut guardian angel was released. :wink:

So sitting here tonight looking at the smashed corner I thought- I wonder how far that thing had to fall to cause that? So seeing as how we watch Myth Busters I decided to do an experiment. I decided the phonebook was close enough in weight to the OH and placed it in the box. I dropped it from about 2 feet up...popcorn all over the kitchen floor...oops. So I taped the box shut and dropped it from higher, barely a ding to the corner. And higher, and higher. I dropped that box from the ceiling, about 7', and it barely dented the corner! So I think they must have run my box through the UPS corner-smash-o-matic.

So anyway my OH is home safe. Now we need to go buy some tall bendy straws and find 2 brave (and germ-free) souls to share in a mighty Ohana Hut beverage. :)

I promise you all that TCOH # 43 is in good hands, (now that it is out of the hands of UPS)! Mahalo to Stuckie, Chongolio, and Hanford.

-John

I believe UPS does not have a comprehenisve address error correction in their address database (but USPS does).

If you have an apartment number, or live on some odd street, like 1234 East Main Street #24, but your hut is addressd to 1234 E. Main Street Apt 24, then UPS' automated system may not be able to figure it out.

Like others have already said, you may want to contact UPS to find out what the scoop is.

So I got my Ohana hut today - just didn't think it looked the same as the photos though .........

Does it work with my mug collection?

Seriously though - I'm walking through the kitchen in my sister's house in New Hampshire, when I notice her cookie jar. I burst out laughing - my family thought I was nuts. I missed the list for the Ohana hut since I was traveling across the USA, so at least I have the Ohana cottage!

T

Those holes in your cottage can't seriously really be there right??

On 2006-09-27 21:38, tikipedia wrote:
I believe UPS does not have a comprehenisve address error correction in their address database (but USPS does).

If you have an apartment number, or live on some odd street, like 1234 East Main Street #24, but your hut is addressd to 1234 E. Main Street Apt 24, then UPS' automated system may not be able to figure it out.

Like others have already said, you may want to contact UPS to find out what the scoop is.

Actually the system is pretty comprehensive. The codes that are generated for the automated shipper are based on the shipper and what information they put in, and in what data fields. If someone ships a package and it somehow doesn't have that information, the package gets moved aside and a sticker and new label is generated by someone at UPS handentering information. So, wrt to the automated sorting labels and their generation process for all intents and purposes, it still comes down to one point of failure.

As for the data correction system, they have an in-house system that run by a local (to the area of the town that the package is getting delivered to) who usually has at least several years experience, they also have a national database that they look stuff up in if they can't find anything on it.

And calling them is definitely a good way to get attention, the call will generate a concern that will get picked up by that center (the local office that only contains a few zip codes - UPS buildings usually have at least 6 in a bigger city) and they'll attempt to contact you. The only better way is to get the phone number for the center from a driver, but the center staff usually hates getting those calls as there's no documentation and it's out of the blue (to them).

Cheers,
Michael

• IT for UPS for 13 years, retired 02/06.

On 2006-09-27 21:33, Berdoo John wrote:
Aloha, for those that were concerned earlier about the packaging, UPS gave a noble effort to destroy TCOH # 43, but alas they have failed...

So sitting here tonight looking at the smashed corner I thought- I wonder how far that thing had to fall to cause that? So seeing as how we watch Myth Busters I decided to do an experiment. I decided the phonebook was close enough in weight to the OH and placed it in the box. I dropped it from about 2 feet up...popcorn all over the kitchen floor...oops. So I taped the box shut and dropped it from higher, barely a ding to the corner. And higher, and higher. I dropped that box from the ceiling, about 7', and it barely dented the corner! So I think they must have run my box through the UPS corner-smash-o-matic.

Having been in the operation for 3 years before moving to IT, I know about smashed boxes. And that didn't come from your box being dropped. That came from someone either dropping a package on it or setting a package on it too hard when they were stacking stuff on top of it. I can think of some other ways, but I don't see any footprint on the box, nor is it in "peak" season where you box can be subject to getting "jammed on a belt" and crunched that way.

In any event, it's a testament to Stuckie's packing smarts. I'm sure that he learned early on that with any shipper, you have to pack the hell out of whatever you want protected. :)

On 2006-09-27 20:26, ookoo lady wrote:
I took Haole'akamai's advice and called UPS. I confirmed that they had the correct address, suite number, zip code, etc. They assured me that the package would be delivered today.

It didn't arrive, and now this is the new message on the tracking page:

A CORRECT SUITE NUMBER IS NEEDED FOR DELIVERY. UPS IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN THIS INFORMATION;THE ADDRESS HAS BEEN CORRECTED. THE DELIVERY HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED

A DELIVERY CHANGE REQUEST FOR THIS PACKAGE WILL BE PROCESSED;THE PACKAGE IS BEING HELD FOR FUTURE DELIVERY. UPS WILL ATTEMPT DELIVERY ON THE DATE REQUESTED

Stay tuned...:)

I've had similar problems with delivery to apartment addresses. Sometimes the best thing to do is to have them hold it at the routing center, and go pick it up one afternoon. You have to make sure they actually do that though. I've tried it before only to be told that they put it back on the truck.

It's finally here!

H

On 2006-09-28 14:53, ookoo lady wrote:
It's finally here!

Oh, thank god. I was getting really worried for you -- so many of us have lived through horror stories dealing with delivery services (none of them are immune). Thank goodness your scare has passed!

On 2006-09-28 06:28, jpmartdog wrote:
So I got my Ohana hut today - just didn't think it looked the same as the photos though .........

Does it work with my mug collection?

Oh! it's just so good!! Mahalo plenty for the chuckle...

And, yeah, what are those black dots on the roof?

What a great mug. Glad it made it there safely. How disappointing it would be to get a destroyed tiki mug in the mail. Has this ever happened to any of you? I have just started my tiki mug collection and have good luck so far, but I have seen first hand how UPS and the regular post office can destroy or lose mail.

T

What a wonderful and unique artifact! Thanks so much to all who brought it into being, and so economically, considering the work and expertise involved. Words are fleeting, but this, let's see, "large, two-piece ceramic replica of a bamboo hut which is also a large, communal drinking vessel" has long-term staying power! (Beyond which, I think I detect a kind of aura around it!)

It's fun to imagine something like "Antiques Roadshow" 100 years from now, with an expert deftly explaining that "Tikicentral" refers to a sort of community on the old "internet" (which was once considered new and modern)...

Wait a minute, there will still be a Tikicentral in 100 years, no?

Anyway, wonderful wonderful and thanks again.

T

On 2006-09-28 19:24, CrazyTiki wrote:
What a great mug. Glad it made it there safely. How disappointing it would be to get a destroyed tiki mug in the mail. Has this ever happened to any of you? I have just started my tiki mug collection and have good luck so far, but I have seen first hand how UPS and the regular post office can destroy or lose mail.

I've lost a few soldiers along the way. Thank goodness for insurance. Although insurance can't make up for the loss of a hotly anticipated tiki mug.

I wholeheartedly agree. I was lucky enough to get one of Tiki Tony's new mugs. Gosh, you would have thought I was waiting for Santa Claus! I got mad at my husband for opening the package before I got home from work because I wanted to rip open the package all by myself. Oh well, at least it wasn't damaged in any way......

K

Chongominium #25 arrived safely in Central Florida, to be shared with all the locals. This is a real treasure. Each time I look at it I see more detail. The texture of it is just as grand as its visual beuaty. Thanks to the talented and dedicated TCers that put this together. I feel an Ohana Hut gathering coming on........

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Oct 2, 2006 7:58 AM

Lady Luck is in my collection. I openned the box it came in nice and slow to enjoy the moment longer.

Question for anyone. This is the first time that I did not get a card with my Munktiki mug. Is there a card?

N

Nope, no card in mine, but if we need to authenticate I'm sure we'll find DNA from Stuckie's sweat in every one.

[ Edited by: nitropic 2006-10-02 08:36 ]

Ohana Hut #40 arrived at my doorstep yesterday! :D :sheckymug: Wow!!! Stuckie, you deserve a standing ovation for the fabulous job w/the highlights and intricate details! You sir, are a painstaking craftsman! Up close, it is clear why Chongo's design was selected! A ceramic masterpiece that exudes aloha spirit! Incredible!

Mahalo! :drink:

Didn't mention it before but I also received my other artist proof Ohana Hut in perfect condition. Very happy to hear that these things are getting into thier owners hands without breakage and only minor delays.

Rock 'um Stuckie!

Chongolio

Pages: 1 37 replies