Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

mondo lounge atomic frolic - las vegas, nv january 26-28, 2007 - call for participation

Pages: 1 2 50 replies

**I have been asked to announce this on Tiki Central.

This is an official "Call for Participation" for the upcoming Mondo Lounge Atomic Frolic. (Please do not contact me about this event. I plan on singing a song or 2 with the Martini Kings at the event, but that's the extent of my involvement.)

If you are a band, entertainer, educator/speaker, vendor, sponsor, etc. please contact the event producers directly through their website.
http://www.mondoatomic.com

Mondo Lounge is the Ultimate Retro Party and Conference. The event is themed around the lifestyle and culture of America from 1957 to 1963 & will bring together fans of Retro Fashion, Tiki, Exotica Music, Car Culture, Bachelor Pad Living, Pin-Ups, Swing Scene, Vintage Las Vegas Rat Pack era.

Can't wait for this one

If people are wondering, Mondo Lounge Atomic Frolic is being produced by my website--Java's Bachelor Pad (http://www.javasbachelorpad.com)--and another great retro website Lotta Livin' (http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/). If people are interested in performing, vending, or sponsoring they can contact me. Thanks!

Hey guys I got a sneak peak att he line up the bands are pretty swanky and the rest of the show is going to be hep......check it out

ok folks the hotel is nearly sold out......get your room soon or you will be staying at a alternate location but they probibly won't be conected tothe even

..okay, i fell for the "almost sold out" ruse and got my reservation...of course, i could have done without the psychotic ice cream truck circus music that they pipe in on the phone while I was on hold....but i took it as a good sign for this event , so count me in...i'll see all you screws in vegas, baby.

for those of you going, don't forget to stop into the "art bar" which i believe is located just around the corner from the hotel, on main st....an eclectic mix of artists, beatniks, hipsters and rockers of all ages.. the art bar boasts "loosest sluts and slots in las vegas" -no, they didn't have t-shirts available with that on it when i was there earlier this month, but i bet by the time we get there in january they will!!

...honestly, i think my girlfriend and i will actually be the loosest sluts in vegas that weekend so the art bar may have to sit this one out!

On 2006-11-21 13:56, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..okay, i fell for the "almost sold out" ruse and got my reservation...of course, i could have done without the psychotic ice cream truck circus music that they pipe in on the phone while I was on hold....but i took it as a good sign for this event , so count me in...i'll see all you screws in vegas, baby.

I don't know about you, but my on-hold music with them was "It's A Small World." shiver

The hotel used to be the Thunderbird back in the 60's and is about four blocks north of the strip in downtown area. It's all old Vegas--down and dirty and filled with neon charm. It just oozes with that Rat Pack spirit.

Mondo Lounge Atomic Frolic is going to be a blast...but maybe I'm bias since I'm one of the planners. I know all the secret events we've got planned. :wink:

check out the hotel plus vintage pics here:

http://www.arubalasvegas.com

M

Really close to the Aruba and the Art Bar is DINO's bar--great late night karaoke and dive bar clientele!

..i thought dino's bar was across the street and a block down from art bar.....i may be mistaken..if so, what is the name of that place?? it's kinda catchy but i can't recall...i always wanted to peek in there but never got a chance...do you know anything about it??

..i thought dino's bar was across the street and a block down from art bar.....i may be mistaken..if so, what is the name of that place?? it's kinda catchy but i can't recall...i always wanted to peek in there but never got a chance...do you know anything about it??

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Nov 25, 2006 8:45 AM

Thanks for having this bash! It sounds great!

Has anybody noticed that the 60’s version of the future is exactly the opposite in every way from the real 21st century?

Bubbletop curvy sports cars
…………………………….. square pickup trucks

Everyone dresses fashionably
……………………………… sweatshirts

Music swings
……………………………… nobody listens to music because it stinks

Wild parties
…………………………….. watching the game on TV

Girls wear dresses with swirly purple patterns
…………………………… women wouldn’t be caught dead in dresses away from the office

Everyone is skinny
……………………………. everyone is fat

Airports are the coolest places on Earth
and they take you to exotic far-away lands
……………………………. airports are dismal, scary, and people use them to get from Buffalo to Syracuse

Shaken, not stirred
……………………………. Miller Lite

Ray Guns!
……………………………. boxcutters are illegal

Funny Italian movies with that new actress who’s Va va va VOOM!
……………………………. Video games

I think you are spot on Cammo. The only thing is....Bond is back...so we are shaking again. :)

C

Exactly, and you know what next year is?

'007!

Hmmmmm. You've got me thinking now. Maybe we should have a "Happy Bond Year" party during the MLAF. :wink:

I have been lamenting the departure from that ideal of the future for nearly 30 years now. Let's all resolve to do what we can to bring it back, starting with the parties and the cars. I'll do my part with the music.

Back to the topic, this event looks like a blast. Wish we could make it, but if it swings, we'll make every effort to get there next year! As Waitiki, that is!

M

On 2006-11-24 06:46, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

Dino's has a big sign and a slogan "The last neighborhood bar in Vegas" (or something like that). It is across the street from the Olympic Gardens (a toplees bar) and REALLY close to the ARuba-it may well be the bar you are thinking of.

I am going to try my best to get there. Sounds like a great weekend...and as I sit in the middle of this ice/snow storm right now, I could stand a little Vegas weather.

On 2006-11-26 11:43, Cammo wrote:
Exactly, and you know what next year is?

'007!

Great point! All next year I will make it a point to use "007" when writing dates: 1/1/007 (versus 1/1/07).

not only that, but the creepy creeps and deadbolt are playing that weekend!! and yes, dino's is the bar i was talking about....

On 2006-12-01 08:58, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
not only that, but the creepy creeps and deadbolt are playing that weekend!! and yes, dino's is the bar i was talking about....

Ahhhh yes, I too am working out the logistics in my mind of how to catch both the MLAF and the Hodad Stomp. A martini at the Aruba followed by a High Life at the Dive Bar. I think I can pull it off.

Back to the topic, this event looks like a blast. Wish we could make it, but if it swings, we'll make every effort to get there next year! As Waitiki, that is!

You better freaking believe it! The only way the event could be better is if Waitiki was on the bill. Hell, maybe we can event talk you into bringing the Esquivel Orchestra out next year. :wink:

..i believe "shag with a twist" will be running at the plaza hotel in downtown vegas that weekend as well......

On 2006-12-04 11:45, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..i believe "shag with a twist" will be running at the plaza hotel in downtown vegas that weekend as well......

Well, we got lots of "secret" things we're planning for MLAF that are just as cool as that. And don't ask me 'cause I can't say anything yet. :wink:

OK...I can officially announce one of our "secret" events...

We are proud to announce a sneak peek premier of the new documentary about the artist SHAG by filmmaker Smee on Sunday afternoon. Following that, a group art show presented by M Modern Gallery will be held Sunday Night at the Las Vegas Downtown Arts Center with SHAG in attendance!!!

And for those who are thinking about going, better book your rooms at the Aruba now. The group rates expire December 24th. Good rooms still available!

All info about MLAF can be found on our website: http://www.mondoatomic.com

..i hope it's the same documentary that they were filming for at the shag opening this past summer in chicago...if so, you may see myself and tikibars drunkenily singing shags praises on camera...yikes!!

I am so excited.
I will finally get to meet one of my own idols...
Miss Brini Maxwell will be one of the guests.

http://www.brinimaxwell.com/

H

MM I am planning on going. I will see you there. By the way I just bought the Brini Maxwells book.See you soon.

passing this along from the event producers:

just to keep you up to date on this not-to-be-missed event...
YOU REALLY DO NOT WANT TO MISS OUT ON THIS EVENT - you want to tell your friends - "yah - sure I was at the FIRST Mondo Lounge Atomic Frolic! It was awesome. We dressed up retro, had cocktails, met some new close friends :wink: and had the weekend of our life!

Entertainment Includes:

• The Martini Kings
  • Mark Torch of the Hollywood Combo
  • Liberace Tribute Artist Wes Winters
  • Octobop
  • Clouseaux
  • Moon-Rays
  • Cherry Capri
  • Atomic Lounge Show
  • Project: Pimento
  • Robert Ensler as Dean Martin and Bobby Darin
  • Derek Stroh

Vendors:

• Tiki Farm (Tiki Mugs and More)
  • Hollywood Book and Poster
  • Falling Cocos (Retro Pop Graphics)
  • Mr. Swanky's (Vintage Styled clothes)
  • Diva Pinups (New Hair Accessories)
  • Cinema Collectors (Vintage Photos and Ephemera)
  • Allyn Scura (New & Vintage Eyeware)
  • Bartiki (Barstuff & Tikistuff)
  • Coquette Faux Furriers (Fun Fake Furs)
  • Suzanna Anna (Modern Mosaics and Sculpture)
  • Hep Cat Pinups (Kustom tshirts, lunch boxes, magnets and more)
  • Go Go Amy (Pin-Up insired merchandise)
  • Lucky Loo Loo (Pin-Up Jewelry)
  • Artistic Sculpting by Pratan Pimsuparp & James Luff

Special Guest Speakers and Presenters

• Best selling author of Brini Maxwell's Guide to Gracious Living, Style Network Star and NPR podcaster
  • Michelle Baldwin author of "Burlesque AS It Was"
  • Mike Weatherford author of "Cult Vegas" and "The Stardust of Yesterday"
  • Nathan Marsak, author of “Los Angeles Neon,
  • Eric Lynxwiler, co-author of the seminal work "Wilshire Boulevard"
  • Jason Croft, producer of Java "Java's Bachelor Pad" and "Java's Bachelor Pad After Dark"
  • Smee - advance preview of the Shag documentary "Sophisticated Misfits"
  • Cinescopes! Matchmakers who set up people based on their top ten favorite films!
  • Hosts and Hostesses Gigi Valient, Kay O' Hara and Maxwell De Mille!

World Class Burlesque:

• Former Miss Exotic World - Kitten DeVille!
  • Former Miss Exotic World - Erochica Bamboo!
  • Nymphet of Burlesque - Lolita Haze!
  • Burlesque Sensation - Mia Vixen!
  • Kalani Kokonuts - Polynesian Princess
  • Go Go Amy
  • Vivienne VaVoom
  • Bettina May

DJs from across the country:

• Senor Amor (Hollywood)
  • Jay Strongman (London)
  • Lee Joseph - Dionysus Records (Los Angeles)
  • 2nd Life Entertainment (Las Vegas)
  • DJs Mardou & Leo (Culver City)
  • Cocktail Hour Music (Seattle)
  • Phofo! (New York)
  • K-Billy (L.B.C.)
  • DJ Drew Grove (Portland)
  • Java! (Champaign, IL)

PINUPS:

• Ivy L'Vine, Lilly LaBotomy, Lucy Luscious, Maria Mercury, Miss Minna, Roxy Rouge, Susi, Sweetie Pie, Tana the Tattooed Lady, Vita Vixen, Vivian Bea

Other Happenings:

• Las Vegas Modern Architecture Tour
  • Best Dressed Fez Contest
  • Friday Night Pajama Party
  • BeatNick Poetry Hour
  • Exotica Jam Session
  • TFP Time - Camera Club
  • Saturday Night Black Tie Optional!

Sponsors:

• Shag
  • M Modern Gallery
  • Stirring Cocktail Mixers
  • Hollywood Book and Poster
  • SugarKitty Corsets
  • Classic Las Vegas
  • Retro-A-Go-Go
  • Federal Edge
  • Sin City Modern Real Estate

GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!!!
$10 off until January 1, 2007

http://www.mondoatomic.com/gettickets.php

On 2006-11-26 11:01, VampiressRN wrote:
...so we are shaking again.

"Do I look like I care?"

T

A contingent from Otto's Shrunken Head Tiki Bar & Lounge NYC will be there!

The contingent (both of us) from Velvet Glass will be there too!

E

Coming from LA? Start the Mondo Lounge Atomic Frolic weekend early by hopping on the Crime Bus at Union Station at 11am Friday January 26. The trip to Las Vegas includes a scenic detour through old Route 66 where you'll enjoy the sights of the old Mother Road while hearing Kim and Nathan's tales of historic high desert mayhem and weirdness, a meal break at a charming restaurant, good tunes and good company. The Crime Bus will take you directly to the Aruba Hotel with plenty of time to freshen up before the evening Neon Cruise. The Crime Bus will be on call all weekend for offbeat museum, dining and thrift shop runs, plus the Neon Cruise and Architectural Tour (separate fees), before departing for Los Angeles at 7pm Sunday, with arrival by midnight.

You purchase gets you: a round trip seat on the Crime Bus from LA to Las Vegas, plus a ticket to the Atomic Frolic.

Payment options: Cost is $130/person and we ask that you please email [email protected] to reserve your space before either paying online with Paypal, or arranging to send a check.

ABOUT THE ROUTE 66 CRIME BUS TOUR: The crimes of old Route 66 are nothing like the citified tales told on previous Crime Bus tours. For more than a century, bad people have done terrible things under the vast desert sky, and all too often they've gotten away with it. High desert crimes are also odder than city crimes. On the Crime Bus, passengers will boggle at the tale of the Indian guide who cleverly spirited a new bride away from her young husband in 1920, giggle at the hijinks surrounding the premature 1890 death announcement of Wells Fargo messenger Ed Knickerbocker, shudder at the ghastly 1946 RV vacation of 10-year-old John Oedekerk, bit by a rabid dog in Indiana and chased across the country by needle-wielding public health officials, gape at the courage of cross-dressing 1930s teen Martha Adams who ran away from her religious maniac family with 53 cents in her pocket, and marvel at the miraculous tale of the 6-year-old girl kidnapped, bound and left in the hills in 1983 who was rescued when an airsick helicopter searcher landed to vomit and saw her Raggedy Ann doll in the dirt. For more info about the Crime Bus, please visit http://www.1947project.com

Please note that the organizers reserve the right to cancel this bus trip should there be insufficient reservations. In this case, passengers will be alerted with plenty of time to find alternate transportation, and their ticket cost promptly refunded.

TM

I'll be vending on Saturday. It should be a hoot! I'll be serving up Mai Tais (buy a mug and you get to fill 'er up!) and playing some old school exotica, hawaiian and surf tunes. I'll post a sign on the door of my room with the hours of operation on Friday. Hope to see you all there!

I am getting geared up.....thurs-sunday just what I need a few days away from reality

D
dibroc posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 2:26 PM

just booked the room and bought the tix. looking forward to a vegas get away.

A little something for those coming to town early...

This will be my first year vending there Realy lookin forward to this . I,ll be Vending Mid century sculptures and such .

BURLY-Q YEEEHA!!!!

ok so I knew already but sounded good right

T

I too will be vending at the Frolic with my retro Shag inspired furniture. Make sure you come by and check out these cool tables.

Chris

The Retro surf Lounge
aka Tiki Too

[ Edited by: tikitoo 2007-01-16 22:19 ]

Update!! I just received a large wholesale order for my boomerang tables, so I am out of this years event. See you next year.

[ Edited by: tikitoo 2007-01-18 17:39 ]

Need a fun new frock or swanky new shirt for the event?

If you're in the bay area and are looking for that last minute item to add to your repertoire please check out Retro Diva's new digs inside:

Icon Vintage
2521 San Pablo Ave # C (at Dwight across from Sea Salt)
Berkeley, CA 94702
(510) 848-4266

Map and Directions

We carry the full spectrum of men's and women's vintage clothing with a very nice selection of tropical wear.

Whoops, forgot to mention that if you come in and say that you're on 'Tiki Central' you'll get 10% off your total purchase.

[ Edited by: retrodiva 2007-01-22 10:16 ]

On 2007-01-04 09:16, tastysp wrote:
A contingent from Otto's Shrunken Head Tiki Bar & Lounge NYC will be there!

Patty's Passion-yum!

The Mrs. and I will also be vending; Kim (the Mrs.) creates handcrafted beaded jewelry. So stop by and say hi. Mention TC and receive 10% off your total purchase.

You can see more stuff at myspace.com/badlandbeads

H

Q-tiki and I will be there on Saturday night. See you all there.

Forbidden Island will be represented.
The lovely Denise and I will be there.
Very much looking forward to it.

We had a great time! Here's my 3 minute video on youtube:

Mondo Lounge

Krustiki took a lot of pictures, we'll post them soon.

Looks like you had a great time...I hope to hit the Mondo in 2008. Thanks for the YouTube. :D

Yea it was a blast, little warmer would of been good but what do ya do .

Pages: 1 2 50 replies