Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Kirby's Mug "First sculpt"

Pages: 1 40 replies

K
kirby posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2006 9:54 PM

Here is my first prototype for the mug{yet to be named) I will hopfuly make soon...The Inside and lava will be red and the lava rock will be black with mabey dark brown for the tiki..Im also thinkin of making a Tiki tourch handel but we will see..Thanks Tony for the clay...Let me know what you think!!!

H

Kirby that is an awesome looking mug. Would be interesting to see it in color. Hurry...

kirby...whoa...dude...drooooooooooooool...slurrrrpP!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

P

will these be ready for the carving seminar? i want one now! beautiful.

K

I only have a sculpt and a dream at this point so be patient my friend..

Beautiful! When your dream reaches fruition, I want one!

ST

P

I think it's freakin' awesome and you can add me to "the list" if you are making one. There are some great mugs being posted here lately!

J

Kirby, that is awesome! I must have one when you get around to making them! Really cool stuff.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Sep 28, 2006 1:21 AM

Looks freaking awesome man! Very nice! Colours sound good too. How about a matching Kirby print?

My only comment would be watch the lava, dont know how that will like the molding process. Both from a detail perspective and overhangs and stuff.

i'm trying to picture it with red lava spilling over the edge. wait, i can see it. i dig it! nice work kirby. best of luck getting these made. i know you'll sell out if you get them done.

Kirby that sculpt looks freakin beautiful

B

Excellent first mug Kirby., I really love it and the detail looks cool. Love the rocks and the lava, Nice ideas.

T

Crazy

looks great Kirby - very lava rock-ey around the base. Can hardly wait to see (and purchase) the final glazed product.

mg

H

I think it should say Kirby's Island on the back.

Painting, carving, now sculpting! Great job Kirby!

Great design Kirby!!! I love the dripping lava and the rock base...very cool...or HOT!

Bravo Kirbs!
You never stop! Don't ever stop! Keep us posted when this bad boy's coming out!

you gotta get these made, brah! look at all the love you're gettin'!

Really nice mug there Kirby- Can't wait to see the final results!

K
kirby posted on Thu, Sep 28, 2006 6:55 PM

thanks alot guys.. this is just the type of motivation I need to stay focused and make it happen...mahalo...kirby

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 28, 2006 8:32 PM

Kirby,

I don't collect mugs, but if I did, this one would be a "must have." I hope you are able to get it into production as I know it will be very popular. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

-Gman

T

I especially like the lava rocks. Nice touch.

Kirbopple - Brother... that is lookin mutha luvin' cool!!! Great gobs of poi I cant wait to see that buddy glazed and fired.

Cho......

K

Gman thats seems strange to me you dont collect mugs...You should start its the basis for most tiki collections...

awesome!

H

On 2006-09-29 22:33, kirby wrote:
Gman thats seems strange to me you dont collect mugs...You should start its the basis for most tiki collections...

Same here, I got no tiki mugs either...

But why not start with a Kirby mug? :)

J

On 2006-09-30 00:43, hewey wrote:
Same here, I got no tiki mugs either...

But why not start with a Kirby mug? :)

I started my pendant collection with a Kirby and now the collection is starting to take over a whole wall. You can't go wrong with a Kirby.

That is a fantastic looking mug, Kirby! Very professional work for your first time out!!

Can't wait to see the gorgeous colors on that one!

I

Hey great mug Kirby..when it's ready, put me on the list.

...."The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"...Einstein

[ Edited by: IsleConch 2006-10-02 17:39 ]

MR

Well, are they done yet? They look awesome!

Sorry, Kirbz... Polynesiac cant collect anything until he chops up some baby tangs...Then he can think of his own collection...LOL Only playin. Nuthin but love for both yall.. Keep the good shit rollin'....Balls Out!

really kool lookin mug bro hope you can make it happen

W
Wolli posted on Tue, Oct 10, 2006 9:51 PM

Wow, this mug looks great.

Don't forget to put me on your list....I need one of them. :wink:

Wolli

Kirby brought this mug to the Spooky Luau,so I got to see it less fuzzy.Sweet sculpt and it'll turn out a sweeter mug!

Wish I was there LLT..I would have loved to check that thing out..It should go unsaid I need one a these Kirbz... Diggin your stuff as always.. Keep workin it!!

T

was the mug fired, glazed, or raw like the picture. Any word on the molds?

G
GROG posted on Sun, Oct 15, 2006 10:21 AM

GROG saw the mug in person and didn't think it could be molded as is. Kirby showed it to Squid and Squid said it couldn't be molded. Kirbs can fire it and have a one-of-a-kind handmade mug, or resculpt what he has and simplify the lava rock area at the bottom so it can be molded.Plus he'd have to round out the lava at the top of the mug and make it
flatter so it wouldn't have undercuts.

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-10-15 10:26 ]

here's my suggestion: fire this one and sell it to me and then make another one with simplified lava. :D

C

...I like it!!!

V

Aloha Kirby! I love the mug - the lava is fabulous, and the textured rock base looks great. I am worried about firing it - (if you know all this stuff already - just ignore me!) - is there a chance you trapped air bubbles when you attached the rocks to the bottom of the mug? Did you use slip when you attached them? I only ask because I sculpt "for firing" very differently than when I sculpt "for molding". Handbuilding for firing can be very unforgiving when it comes to air bubbles and sticking clay together. If you didn't use slip to attach the rocks, there is a chance they may fall off when you fire it. I only write this to help - not to cause panic! :)

Pages: 1 40 replies