Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

looks like Mai Kai drum mug but it's a lamp!

Pages: 1 2 replies

Today while sifting through the resale/antique store near my house I came across this drum lamp

a close up of handle on drum:

Has anyone seen one in a bar or restaurant before? or no anything about this drum?the drum part of the lamp stands 26 inches tall. No marking on it at all.
To my eye it looks like a New Guinea area drum.
I may be able to track down some info if I'm lucky. There was a tag on the lamp from an auction house. The man I purchased the lamp from said he bought it from this auction house. I have the lot number and the day of the sale. so tomorrow I'll try to call them and see if they have any records of where the piece came from.

"Now and then we had hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates"
Mark Twain
"Life on the Mississippi"

[ Edited by: exotica59 2006-09-30 11:16 ]

C
Chub posted on Sat, Sep 30, 2006 1:55 PM

I don't know where it came from exactly, but I love it! Great find.

M

Has anyone seen one in a bar or restaurant before? or no anything about this drum?

Not sure if I've ever seen something like this in a bar, my focus is usually pretty beady-eyed toward the liquor. However, I know a little...that's always the case with me, a little...about the drum:

Most certainly Papua New Guinea. A kundu drum, most associated with the Sepik region. Typically these will have a lizard skin over the aperture. Real nice this one, I like it. That one has a great handle, like the one I found below on the web. I have a few mugs based on designs from these type drums, most notably the huge Mai Kai drum mug.

Stellar find, a perfect lighting piece for a Polynesian Tiki type ambiance.

Let's go native!
midnite

Pages: 1 2 replies