Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

How should I finish this tiki? OPINIONS WANTED!!! :) *Now Finished!* (final pic added 10/5)

Pages: 1 18 replies

Aloha Folks!

I just got to a major decision-point with my latest self-imposed "lesson" on tiki carving. I took the invaluable skills I learned from my Jedi-Tiki-Carving Masters at Coon Tiki this past spring and started in on a "standard" face on a half-log of palm (which was a whole lot dryer than the first one I attempted). Here's a couple o' pics of him after the first session (de-barking, designing & drawing, & carving):

I decided to leave the husk on to see what happened. Big mistake! I thought it might have an interesting texture for the crown and nose. However, it ended up just being all hairy and fiber-y and really hard to get a clean cut through it. Oh, will I EVER get to do a project that I don't have to "age" to cover up my mistakes? Next time... yes, next time...

Here's a few shots of it after the major carving was finished:

I used primarily chisels to carve this guy. Mostly 'cuz I love the chiseled look the wood gets after all those strikes. I did use a chain saw to take out the big areas in the mouth, and used an angle grinder with a lancelot blade to carve the lines in his crown. Man, is that Lancelot sweet! There was absolutely NO resistance from the wood when cutting thru it. It literally Was "like buttah"! It was, in fact TOO easy and it threw me off. You can see how I messed up the symmetry in the lines. Oh well. This is only my second tiki carving ever. There will always be afore-mentioned "next time..."

So tonight I finally got the chance to finish up. Here's the big guy after adding details, burning, & sanding:

Kinda looks like Wil Farrel's impersonation of Harry Carrey, hunh?

Now, here's where your opinions come into play. I don't know whether or not to stain this guy all up with pretty stains and make him look old and mossy like my first one, or just varnish the heck out of him the way he is now and leave him au natural. Whattaya think? Any advice and or opinion will be greatly appreciated!

Mahaloz!!!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2006-10-03 00:24 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2006-10-05 00:44 ]

Varnish is always better, in my opinion.

I like clear & shiny, but reasonable people could differ.

Nice carving, particularly for just the 2nd effort!

Lookin' good! The Tangoroa mask you did turned out really nice, BTW.

I'd say just stain/varnish this guy, but maybe with 2-3 different shades for some variance..

B

I agree with Capt'n Skully, Add a bit of color and then Varnish or poly. Excellent tiki. Nice detail.

Awesome job! That looks great! I'd go with varnish for the finishing touch. Au natural might be nice for the time being, but my experience with unfinished wood is that it never looks as good a few years down the road as you had hoped it would.
Cheers!
SG

Lee I'd use a pre-stain on that wood. You're gonna get a more even look that way.

8T

I concur with all the above advice. You will be glad you protected it after that dry vegas weather has taken a toll.

I can't believe this is the same carver that we saw take his first chips out of a log just 6 months ago at Coontiki.
Yahoo he shore learned his lessons!!! I tip my coonskin cap to you Lee!

Minwax dark walnut, then a satin varnish over that is what I like.

Hey, Thanks for all the great comments and advice, you guys! It all gives me the boost of confidence that I need to know that I'm heading in the right direction...

Anyway, I went ahead and put a couple of different stains on it to give it definition, and then aged it up with more stains. Here's the result:

Here's a few close-ups of some details:

I don't know why I love that old, mossy, decrepid look so dang much. I just do. Maybe it's 'cuz my carving "style" right now is so rough that it looks decrepid all ready. Who knows. All those years working on the old, mossy, decrepid Jungle Cruise must be coming out of the sub-conscious.

So, the last step is to varnish it up with satin marine varnish to protect it from the Vegas sun, as some of you suggested. Thanks a bunch for all your advice you guys! Please let me know what ya think of the colors & aging.

Mahaloz!

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Oct 3, 2006 5:39 AM

Lovin it. Spar him and yer done!

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Excellent piece TikiLee's, you have Really outdone yourself this time. Keep up the great work.

The aged, mossy look goes well with tikis for the ancient look.. Adds a rich texture.

Looks great. NEXT!!!

Mahaloz Plenny, guys!

Here's one last shot of it (promise!) all varnished up in an appropriate setting.

Thanks for all the help, encouragement, and kind words!

Alooooooooooo-HA!

C

good effort TikiLee...looks great inside and I'm sure it will be cool under the Vegas sun.
Another very nice CoonTiki spin-off. Now sharpen the tools and get back to work.

B

He looks Splendid in his final home. Looks like he is the star of the show. All-in-all, an Excellently carved tiki.

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 5:52 AM

Very nice TikiLee. He looks at home next to the Bastard! :)

Mahalo

McTiki

WOW.. He looks even better in his proper environment- great job!

8T

You just hit a homer my friend. Now what is your next project ???

Thanks you guys! 8ft.: I just posted my latest after I finished it last nite...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21417&forum=7&4

I just hadda get hookin' again before I forgot what to do!

-loha!

Pages: 1 18 replies