Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Fashion

Pages: 1 5 replies

Hi,
I'm going to a Tiki Party at an upcoming convention, and I have no idea what type of fashion I could wear. The event coordinator told us to think of the party in the movie "Breakfast in Tiffany's," which is basically fashion from early 1960s. The people at the party in this movie were basically dressed up in dresses or suits. The event coordinator also hinted at the Elvis movie, Blue Hawaii, but I haven't seen it. Can anyone give me a clue as to what people wore in the early 1960s Tiki Party? Photos? Where on earth would I find this type of fashion now? Thanks to anyone that can e-mail me with advice!
Crystal

Aloha lovebarbie,
First of all, go to Blockbuster or your nearest video store and rent a copy of Blue Hawaii!
While it's on, you can paruse the photos of our very own TC Tiki Crawl...
Tiki Crawl Pics
And most importantly, have FUN!!!!
Aloha,
:tiki:

Both films are classic. I'm particularly fond of the party scene at Breakfast in Tiffany's.

Nevertheless, you should keep in mind budget and where you are able to go shopping, as your first priorities. Frankly, anything retro is supposed to be fun - not something to worry about.

You may wish to contact Vintage Girl - she has a very strong knack for such.

The cover page from Jet Set Planet may also be of assistance:

http://www.jetsetplanet.com

You should be able to make a purchas via this link:

http://www.vintagetrends.com/vintage/stylemenu.asp?CA=Women&SC=Dresses

You're in luck, lovebarbie. The classy little black Givenchy dress Audrey Hepburn wore at the beginning of Breakfast at Tiffany's is going to be auctioned by Christie's later this year. According to this story, it's expected to fetch between £50,000 and £70,000 (US $lotsabucks). If you should be so lucky as to be the successful bidder of course you'll want to accessorize with several millions worth of diamonds, a cigarette holder and a pair of great big dark glasses.

And don't forget a paper bag of croissants.

Pages: 1 5 replies