Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Where's the best liquor store near Hukilau?

Pages: 1 9 replies

U

With the new restrictions on transporting liquids aboard airplanes in effect it now looks like I have to buy my Rum, Orgeat, Falernum, etc. locally. Does anyone know of a local liquor store that serves the Tiki community?

First, check with your airlines.... Bottles in carry-ons are bad, bottles in checked luggage are OK. Usually. Depending on your airlines....

Then, about a mile(ish) down the road from the Yankee Clipper is not one, not two, but three really good liquor stores.....

Crown Liquor, on 17th street
Total Wine, just off of 17th street (my favorite)
Liquor 67 (I think that is what it is called....), accross from Crown on 17th street.

I think there are a couple more, but I haven't been in them to know if they are any good.

For anyone coming in on plane all three of these are on the way to and from the hotels. Once you turn onto 17th Street look for Cordova Road turn right or left.

Right - into Publix Shopping Center, Total Wine is in with Publix.

Left - 2 stores on both sides of the road (there's a Winn Dixie right there), if you reach the stop sign you have gone too far. Also two good restaurant/bars right there as well for lunch/dinner - Southport Raw Bar (on water) and Quarterdeck (neither are tiki). If you proceed to the stop sign and turn right, go to the very end (marina) - 15th Street Fisheries is an excellent place to eat AND you can feed the Tarpon (BIG fish) of the docks!!!

Probably not as close and probably not as good, but the wife and I wandered down to the Los Olas Beach last year and turned up the Parkway. About a block and a half up on the right was a little liquor store at a gas station/convenience store that had a pretty good variety and just about the entire range of El Dorado Demeraras.

I dunno, though, how much good all these liquor stores are gonna do ya when it comes to the mixers. I can't imagine Total Wines carrying Falernum, personally. Those you may need to bring in your checked baggage.

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic 2006-10-02 17:44 ]

O

I found an abundance of Toriani Orgeat for a decent price just off 595 (within short drive of the Hukilau neighborhood) and both Chip and I can give locations to find Demarara if need be. If things get to that point be sure to grab one of us and we'll give details. (Although I'll admit he knows better than I)

For anything that specific I'd recommend getting a few people together and doing more of a "run" than just jetting down to the local. Although I'll admit, due to the neighborhoods just south of Hukilau-land, the local selection is actually pretty good when all is said and done. I would be a bit wary of heading north on A1A since the prices won't warrant the selection choices.

On 2006-10-02 17:34, Traitor Vic wrote:
... I can't imagine Total Wines carrying Falernum, personally. Those you may need to bring in your checked baggage.

Somewhere around here I have been able to find just about anything you need to complete any drink in the Grog Log. It may take a couple of stores in a couple of towns.......

But, Falernum is the one ingredient that has been impossible to find in the six years I have been here. Anyone of the locals have some and want to bring? Anybody want to ship it in ahead of your arrival? I will offer my local address if you PM me.

U

Thanks for all the tips. I guess I'll bring a fifth of Falernum with me in checked luggage (plenty to share) and pick up all the other necessary ingredients at one of those fine shops aforementioned.

The weather forecasts I've seen for Hukilau show thunderstorms every day so drinking has become my #1 priority. Why it was ever #2 is evidence of a serious character flaw in me.

G

On 2006-10-03 06:05, Ukulare wrote:
The weather forecasts I've seen for Hukilau show thunderstorms every day

Just fyi, weather forecasts in Florida show thunderstorms practically every day during the warm months. We're a peninsula. There's lots of moisture in the air and it can be sunny one minute and raining the next. Never be surprised by a sudden thundershower.

Are there any Home Depot's near the event??

P
pablus posted on Wed, Oct 4, 2006 7:51 AM

Hey Ben, I couldn't get a room so I need you to build me something on the beach.
Just a bungalow - lounge - gilligan's island kind of a thing.
Hey thanks braddah. I'll give you one of my Hale Tiki mugs. :wink:

Pages: 1 9 replies