Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tips for Hukilau first-timers

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

H

A few (hopefully) helpful pointers for those who will be visiting the Mai Kai and/or the Hukilau for the first time:

• Florida weather
    There will probably be some intermittent rainshowers. The Yankee Clipper, Bahia Cabana and Bahia Mar are all within walking distance, so you may want to be prepared with an umbrella or a jacket with a hood. Cabs are readily available at both the Bahia Mar and the Yankee Clipper if you'd rather have a ride.

• Washroom attendants
    The Mai Kai has washroom attendants. Be prepared to support this bit of throwback-luxury by having a dollar or two on you when you visit the restroom, for tips.

• Where to find people
    When you register, you'll get a program that will tell you the Hukilau schedule, but during the few times when nothing is scheduled, you can probably find people congregating at the Wreck Bar at the Yankee Clipper, the bar at the Bahia Cabana, or possibly at the Molokai Bar at the Mai-Kai. Plan on keeping a cell phone with you during the weekend to make it easier to meet up with friends old & new.

• The Afterparties
    To find the room parties, just follow the sound of people having a good time, and if the door is open, go on in and introduce yourself! The Bahia Cabana is the "loud" hotel, and this is likely where the room parties will be happening. There's typically no invitation required, but do remember that you are a guest in someone's hotel room.

Anyone else have some tips for first-timers?

Anyone else have some tips for first-timers?

Bring an extra liver!! :)

T

Introduce yourself to people. A small number may blow you off.
I never will. Went to mondo tiki years ago. met no one. So If
you ever see me Tikiskip, John, Say hi.

G

Amazingly, this is my first Hukilau (I lower my head in shame), but not my first time to the Mai-Kai. So, my Mai-Kai tip is for those who drink to pace yourself. You're going to be there for a LONG time, so think twice about diving right into the "strong" category on the drink menu. When they say strong, they mean it. Consider starting the evening with a couple of light or medium drinks and slowly working your way up. I personally would hate to be too far gone when the entertainment starts to really appreciate it. And when each drink is delivered to your table, savor not only the taste, but also the presentation and aroma. Mmmmmmmm, I just can't wait.

Have a good time and take some photos and post them!

And of course look for this:

T

On 2006-10-02 14:08, tikiskip wrote:
Introduce yourself to people. A small number may blow you off.

Glad I'm not the only one that had this experience.

I

A few more thoughts on the weekend ...

• Pacing is important. Not just drinks throughout one evening, but through the entire weekend. With the official events starting on Thursday, to the final Sunday Jetsetter party, that is 4 very full days of activities and drinking, and although it is a worthy goal, you are not required to experience every single minute. If you feel yourself burning out, go to your room and take a short nap for an hour or two, if it will refresh you. There will likely be ongoing events or room parties happening when you do wake up - and if you're from the West coast, you may be able to witness the unusual site of the morning sun rising over the ocean.

• Bring your ATM card. You will likely see some vendor artwork that will impress, and you don't want to be caught short on cash. The same goes for the Hukilau auction. Also bring an empty bag, especially if flying into Florida, to have room for all the items you may purchase.

Vern

P
pablus posted on Mon, Oct 2, 2006 4:54 PM

Sleep when you can. Even 20 minutes is better than nothing.

KN

That's a rip on me and Haole Kat, right?

O

This one might be of some importance.

We discovered today that the Clipper has pockets of extremely ill cell reception. My phone was going back and forth in and out of digital roam, so be prepared to potentially pay the price or shuffle quickly to the front doors. Unfortunately, I completely lost 4 important calls in the course of an hour and a half.

Kiliki seemed to be having the same issue so I know it wasn't my natural magnetism!?! :o

T

For those of you flying in and out you might want to bring some bubble wrap to protect your precious booty. That didn't sound quite right but you know what I mean.

T

On 2006-10-02 16:54, pablus wrote:

Pia Dahlquist's sofa is especially comfy on a Sunday afternoon.

[ Edited by: tikibars 2006-10-02 20:17 ]

Never serve Absinth straight up to unsuspecting Absinth virgins.
Absinth looks exactly like Winterfresh Scope.

HK

On 2006-10-02 16:54, pablus wrote:

Sleep, schmeeep...

Basement Kahuna's fourth annual Hukilau Tiki Yard Sale is on! Yankee CLipper Vendor Bazaar. I have three big boxes of tiki mugs, a Witco Bar, A Witco Daisy scuplture, a fat rack of vintage Aloha dresses and shirts, Vintage tiki postcards, Florida Kitsch, 17-inch pufferfish, glass floats, Tiki salt and peppers, lots of good exotica and Hawaiian records, three Basement Kahuna War clubs, a matching pair of 8-foot Basement Kahuna tikis, and lots more, folks! See you there! Earlybird gets the worm!

R

I love worms (especially sauteed with butter) they taste like chewey chicken.

[ Edited by: rugbymatt 2006-10-03 05:37 ]

make sure to get a cuban sandwich.

and there are wild parrots living in the palmtrees on the beach. they are way cool if you like that sort of thing.

Has no one posted about sunscreen? When I come visit my mom, I have to slather myself or else that Florida sun cooks me like a microwave.

This will be my first Hukilau, but I'm a long-time Visitor to Fla.

...two more days... ...two more days... ...two more days...

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Oct 3, 2006 9:31 AM

FOOD! The schedule of seminars leaves little time to get lunch, but it's way important. The talk of pacing yourself is important. I have seen too many people so hung over on day two they had nothing but bad times. A huge help in pacing is a full stomach. A hearty meal before the drinking will keep you on an even keel very well.

Meet people. The very best thing about Hukilau is the people. That's why I was willing to organize a second and third and forth Hukilau and why I want to go: the great people. I love the Mai Kai like crazy and "I Belli di Waikiki" and all, but the friends are the main thing. Everyone is super friendly and it's easy to make new friends of online buddies. Best bunch of folks of any event I was ever involved in.

The Tuna Melt at the Cabana is fantastic! And they have restroom atendants there too, if you wonder who that person is in the bathroom.

The ocean is warm!

The water taxi is a very fun trip with lots of info about the homes and history. Get on and take a loop if you have the time.

The Mai Kai opens at 5PM. This is their slow season, so it is not unusual for them to be closed by 11PM on a week night. If you are thinking you will run out there for a few rounds after the shows, better check first or you may be wasting your time.

Oh, and bring along a mug of your own liking that you can carry around all weekend and drink out of wherever you party. That adds to the ambience and keeps folks from going through hundreds of those damn red plastic cups! You won't lose your drink either. Pack you vessel!

Swank Blather
- Talkin' atcha

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-10-03 09:35 ]

P
pablus posted on Tue, Oct 3, 2006 9:37 AM

If you see the Haole Kats (or any of the other bands) lugging gear - they will accept your help.
They also accept cigarette butts, scraps of cloth and glasses filled with alcohol.

P
pablus posted on Tue, Oct 3, 2006 9:49 AM

One more thing... the wahines should always be dressed in their most revealing biki....OWWWWW.... ...
never mind.

And another thing... when you're at the Mai Kai and you hear a gong ring.. it's Mystery Bowl time. Turn and watch the girl dance but even funnier is how mute she leaves every male within a 3 yard proximity. Even the raucous "Cult of The Eye" dudes were speechless and subdued when she finished toying with their souls. That's entertainment.

Re: food.
Yep, it won't fit in your schedule well, but get it in your system any way you can. The little shop across the drive at the Bahia Mar had GREAT sandwiches. I grabbed one plus chips and a soda before heading out to the pretty pretty beach across the street. I plan to do the same Monday :)

Pack some breakfast bars. Small, flat, don't take up much space. Cheap, fast. You get the picture. Bags of trailmix, etc. I'm all about food on the run at events like this. And anything you pack to eat there leaves you space for merch for the way home!

A BIG second to the bubblewrap suggestion! You canNOT bring too much! And the second suitcase - YES! But check to see how many bags your airline allows; some are down to one 50 lb-er.
My version: I bring a carry-on and a BIG bag (the one I used for 5 weeks in Spain!!), filled with a buncha dresses etc, and mucho bubblewrap. The clothes are knockin' around in there on the flight over....and I have to practically sit on the bag to close it for the trip home.

A poster core is great too, if you tend to buy art. Even if not - there are pieces you will not be expecting to call your name (like the 1940's naked hooker straddling an open-mouthed stuffed tiger, grinning at the camera. I could not resist, even though I have yet to frame/hang her!!).

There's just so much great merch to be found - stuff you had no idea you needed! And so many pieces are frankly underpriced (for the work involved). You will not be able to resist. Trust me.

F

On 2006-10-03 08:36, Haole'akamai wrote:
Has no one posted about sunscreen? ...

Oh Yeah! And sun glasses!

For those of you flying in, you won't actually see the phenomenon. You see, as you go south you are actually going UP hill because the earth is not perfectly round. Ask Dr. Science, he'll tell you all about it. What this means for you and me, the average Tiki-phile on the street, is that hear in South Florida we are much closer to the sun than most people realize. During the summer the sun takes up the entire daytime sky. Well, that is how it feels after a few minutes with the lawnmower.... So if you plan on enjoying any of the daylight hours outside and away from the bar, bring some sunscreen, some sunglasses, maybe a lead-lined hat, the usual stuff.

D

great hints everyone! im cutting n pasting up to the last minute before we depart seattle.

any idea where the closest free wi-fi spot is to the hukilau?

oh and: is there any more of the tiki tequilla left nearby?

G

On 2006-10-03 16:56, dogbytes wrote:
any idea where the closest free wi-fi spot is to the hukilau?

If you're staying at the Bahia Cabana, you get free wi-fi in the rooms. Maybe you can also pick it up in the common areas.

Water. Drink lots of water when consuming lots of alcohol. Nothing brings on a hangover worse than getting dehydrated. I try to drink one glass of water after each cocktail. And take a couple of Ibuprofen before sleeping. (I avoid Tylenol or anything with acetaminophen, as it can cause liver damage when mixed with alcohol. No point in speeding up the process.)

HK

Ernesto's 24 Hour Taco Stand!

I belive it's on 17th and Dixie Hwy, but I could be wrong. Maybe a local can confirm the location.

Great late-night munchies to soak up that rum!

L
Loki posted on Tue, Oct 3, 2006 6:52 PM

always thinkin' with your stomach eh Josh?

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Oct 3, 2006 7:00 PM

And take a couple of Ibuprofen before sleeping. (I avoid Tylenol or anything with acetaminophen, as it can cause liver damage when mixed with alcohol. No point in speeding up the process.)

You are part right. NEVER take Tylenol for a hangover! Tylenol is processed by the liver in the same way as alcohol, so it effectively blocks your liver's ability to process the alcohol and inhibits getting the alcohol out of your system. It prolongs your hangover. And in extreme cases can be fatal, but only if you are to the point of alcohl poisoning.

T

My advice is to get a second opinion before any attempt at climbing the palm trees for coconuts...
Especially while you are Intoxicated.....

Cheers!
Brian
The Intoxicators!

P

Sound advice. Keith had a bit of bad luck.

HK

On 2006-10-03 18:52, Loki wrote:
always thinkin' with your stomach eh Josh?

Funny, my wife thinks my brain is located elsewhere.....no....further back than that. Yup.

Drink MUTANY'S !!!

Drink MUTANY'S !!!

Drink MUTANY'S !!!

O

On 2006-10-03 05:52, Johnny Dollar wrote:
and there are wild parrots living in the palmtrees on the beach. they are way cool if you like that sort of thing.

More like feral pigeo-parrots, literally! Grab me and I'll tell ya' the full story... it'll be even funnier after a few coctails!

On 2006-10-03 18:50, Haole Kat wrote:

I belive it's on 17th and Dixie Hwy, but I could be wrong. Maybe a local can confirm the location.

Not sure if it's Ernesto's since the name on the reciept starts with an R, but it's 1 building east of the corner of Federal Hwy/US1 and 17th Street causeway. It's definately open 24 hours! I ate there yesterday... oddly enough I ran into Chip and Andy as they finished their meal. It's actually really good food! Oh, make sure to try the jalepino, carrot, & onion garnish from the little self serve bar at the counter Dynomite stuff!

S
stoked posted on Tue, Oct 3, 2006 9:34 PM

On 2006-10-03 18:50, Haole Kat wrote:

Great late-night munchies to soak up that rum!

One word = SPAM. It's been proven chemically to soak up alcohol (of course after the pleasurable effects have ceased). Plus you have a unique vessel that you can drink from. Think of the conversations that will start up at the parties.

p.s.

And bring lot's of Fireworks!!

First of all - my thanks to Humuhumu for starting this thread. Once again, you're a lifesaver.

This is the largest Hukilau to date and I agree with the posts about pacing yourselves when drinking and to EAT!!! Last year we sent 2 very intoxicated attendees home in a taxi at 5:30pm from the Mai Kai - they started drinking at 4 and missed the entire evening. STAY AWAY FROM THE JET PILOT - or sip it (I speak from experience - this is the STRONGEST drink on the menu).

We are celebrating at 4 different venues and walking is involved - not far, but gals, leave the heels for the evening time! Bring water with you and yes, sunscreen. There isn't cover at all by the beach where the carving is taking place so your umbrellas will have a double purpose. I'm sure we'll see some parasols!

The Wreck Bar at the Clipper will be serving appetizers and sandwiches to go if needed and on Friday night the Bahia Mar will have a substation where you can order anything off of their appetizer menu!!!

Can't wait to see everyone!

G

On 2006-10-03 22:34, tiki_kiliki wrote:
STAY AWAY FROM THE JET PILOT - or sip it (I speak from experience - this is the STRONGEST drink on the menu).

You do realize that's like telling people that under no circumstances are they to push the red button! Now they're ALL going to do it! Seriously though, I'll second Tiki Kiliki's warning. I had a couple of Jet Pilots plus something else on my last visit and by the time the Mai-Kai dancers came on, I had to bow out. I wouldn't say stay away from the Jet Pilot, but maybe limit it to one. It's just SOOOOOO good. But I would definitely advise against ordering it for the happy hour 2-for-1 at the start of the evening or your evening may be over sooner than you think!

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2006-10-04 06:19 ]

Bring cash. You will probably feel like a kid in a candy store with all the vendors.

On 2006-10-04 08:11, pappythesailor wrote:
Bring cash. You will probably feel like a kid in a candy store with all the vendors.

I've learned that on at Tiki Oasis. Bring twice as much cash as you think you need. And Thanks, Humu, I'll make sure to have plenty of ones for the powder room attendant!

Beach looks nice...

http://www.elboroom.com/FL/Webcams/webcams-camera.asp?cam=roof&c=1

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-10-04 09:06 ]

Date
Wednesday, 10/04/06
Wave Size
0-1'
Water Temperature
84 F
Sky Condition
Pm Showers

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-10-04 09:29 ]

I

The Wednesday afternoon hurricane forecast, for the South Florida area ....

"There are currently no active tropical cyclones in the Atlantic or Eastern Pacific."

Vern

If any Sock Monkeys approach you and ask you to buy them Jet Pilots, please deny them, no matter how cute they are. They are only allowed to have Virgin Banana Daiquiris!

On 2006-10-04 06:18, GatorRob wrote:
But I would definitely advise against ordering it for the happy hour 2-for-1 at the start of the evening or your evening may be over sooner than you think!

As a gesture of what a nice guy I am I'll gladly volunteer to take anyone's second 2-for-1 Happy Hour Jet Pilot off their hands so you don't have to suffer!

With reference to the Cell Reception issue at the Clipper... I spoke to one of the Valets and he said the reception was relatively sketchy throughout. Just be aware of this and prep to do some message retrieving when you exit the hotel. Like G.I. Joe says, "Knowing is half the battle.".

S

If you do want a "Jet Pilot" for Happy Hour, team up with someone having another drink you'd like to try and trade your second rounds. Maybe a "Shark Bite". This is always a good plan. Get together with a buddy and order together and swap your second round. You get to try two drinks for the price of one! And order some Nams... The best app at the Mai Kai.

J

Hey - team up with Johnman for a 2 for 1 swap! My z"partner in happy hour" is one of the most gracious voluteers tomorrow night and won't be able to make it. I'd hate to have to knock out two Jet Pilots on my own :) Don't worry Pappy I'll drink one for you.

BTW - Thanks for starting this thread. Being a nube to the Mai Kai and The Hukilau I found the info here most informative. Now we'll see if I actually follow the tips!

Only 11 hours and 20 minutes until departure...

See you all soon!

P

Good suggestions all! Especially while packing.

See you in about... 22 hours.

O

On 2006-10-03 21:27, otikiniko wrote:
Not sure if it's Ernesto's since the name on the reciept starts with an R, but it's 1 building east of the corner of Federal Hwy/US1 and 17th Street causeway.

Confirmation
I was both correct and at the same time incorrect: :o
The sign outside definately say's, "Ernesto's 24 Hour Taco", but the reciept says, "Roberto's Taco". Either way the food is great... I'm eating it as I edit!

Aloha until tomorrow!

KN

Haha! I now remember you coming in with that giant bag of tacos.

Unfortunately, I will not be attending this year. I hope everyone has a absolutely wonderful time!

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies