Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tips for Hukilau first-timers

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

On 2007-05-21 20:19, Chip and Andy wrote:
The Clipper offers valet parking for a fee. The Bahia Cabana offers valet parking, or if you have good parking karma there is street parking in the area behind the Cabana.

There is public parking on the beach accross from the Bahai Mar, but it closes at about 10 pm and you will be locked in after that time. Tiki Kiliki should just about be living there at this stage of planning so maybe she can confirm when the public parking lot closes.....

THANK YOU!! Last year I stayed at the Clipper, so I didn't pay much attention to the surrounding parking areas, but I vaguely recalled there was very little.
Thanks again!
Luke

Public parking closes at 2 AM and reopens at 6 AM. The Beach parking is $6 during the day and drops to $4 after a certain time in the evening.

The Sheraton yankee clipper has self parking in the garage for guests as part of your stay. Local folks who plan on staying past the close of beach parking can park there too, but its at premium rate. $20 something after a certain amount of hours of your car being there. Call the hotel for details. When I knew I was staying late, I parked there anyway to avoid the towing post 2 AM at beach parking.

I think that was about 3 am Saturday we were standing in the Atlantic drinking rum and watching the tow truck yank cars out of the beach lot. Some patrons of the full moon drum circle were running after the tow truck. :P

The Cabana is very popular on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and the valet fills up by 4:30-5 pm from what I noticed over the last 4 years. They park 'em 3 deep in many spots. Parking was included in our stay there, and most times I told them to park me where they wouldn't need to move it. Flying this year, so no parking worries!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-05-21 22:02 ]

Awwww Dang...I'm getting so pumped up for the festivities I'm already having a hard time sleeping. A co-carver and I are bringing our last Tiki Bar with us and some Tikis for our stay at the Clipper but can't stay for the JetSetter...I have to travel back to Tampa and be ready to fly out on Monday AM.

WaiTiki just played here a couple of weeks ago and was a lot of fun. They opened up for a local radio stations annual concert event and used some of our Tikis as stage props. It was really funny when they pointed out one of my guys teeth and told everyone that those teeth server a main purpose...efficiently eating water mellons, which is a much needed supplement for a regular diet of charred mammal flesh.

Looking forward to seeing some of y'all there!

Aloha,
Scott

FIRST-TIMERS: DON'T MISS OUT ON THE GRAND FINALE EVENT HERE @ THE JETSETTER! ROUND-TRIP LUXURY COACH ACCOMMODATIONS CAN BE RESERVED AT THEHUKILAU.COM (WHILE HTEY LAST!) - DRIVING DIRECTIONS AT JETSETTERLOUNGE.COM

A COSMIC BASH NOT TO BE MISSED!

K

I've had so much fun reading these tips and comments I can't wait to get to the Hukilau!
Look forward to meeting you all!
Kiki Tiki from the Big City (New Yawk)

HC

Kiki Tiki.....that is a gorgeous dress!.....be sure to fill that room with more TIKI via the Hukilau ........Mahalo

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2007 6:11 AM

Hey locals. Have any of you been to the rotating bar in the top of the Phillips 66 building down from the Clipper? It sounds like it could be fantastic. Is it?

F

If I'm able to show up on Thursday it wont be until late in the evening. Considering the parking issue, should I even bother? Is there any chance of scoring public parking within walking distance?

Do I need anything at check in ,is that where I get my passes? Just making sure I'm up to speed , not missing anything. Mahalo , Deluxe

Aloha Deluxe:

When you first arrive to Hukilau you will need to check in at the Hukilau Registration Desk and there you will receive all passes you've purchased. Please do bring your ID for this.

Hukilau Registration times are posted on the website under "Schedule", but here they are for a quick reference. Looking forward to seeing everyone this week!

Thursday
12-5 p.m. in Yankee Clipper Wreck Bar

Friday
10 a.m. - 5 p.m. in Yankee Clipper Wreck Bar

Thanks OW , I'm really looking forward to coming down and enjoying all the festivities. Can hardly wait for Thurs. to get here.

Best advice I can give to first timers is to walk up to people an introduce yourself. So many attendees already know each other, so it's kinda like being on the outside looking in at first. You just have to jump in and take the initiative to meet folks...most everyone is very nice and glad to make a new acquaintance. Oh, and bring a swimsuit to the opening night Thursday. A lot of people will end up in the pool.

S

I may have said this before, but, bring your own tiki mug. For any after parties, or your own manner of mixing in your room, if you bring your own mug, you'll keep up with it. No more "which is my drink" and a lot less of those darn plastic cups.

I know what I'm going to say here will repeat a lot of what has been said before. But with only two days left I can't contain myself!

Last year I forgot my sunglasses. I will not make that mistake this year!

Like everyone has said, introduce yourself. Last year I was a bit shy because I didn't know anybody. I will not make that mistake this year! In fact, I just made myself a name tag to make it easier. (I know, I'm a dork :wink: )

Last year I thought it best to sleep sometimes. I will not make that mistake this year! Maybe a short nap here and there, but never in the evening!

I'm going to have so much fun. See you in a couple of days!! :drink:

In fact, I just made myself a name tag to make it easier. (I know, I'm a dork :wink: )

You won't be the only dork. I've been wearing a name tag at tiki events for years. It has my TC name on it, only a few here would recognize me by my real name. It makes it easier for everyone, someone won't be embarrassed because they forgot your name, and it also makes it easier to for strangers to introduce themselves to you.

If you run into me say hey, I'll be one of the other dorks with a name tag on.

Zulu

T

On 2007-06-12 07:12, Swanky wrote:
bring your own tiki mug.

Or, of course, buy one there - it becomes a souvenir, AND you only have to schlep it one way...

S

I meant to get myself a Hukilau mug and I never managed to! Tiki Kiliki, are there any left?

Suzanne

Here's an observation,

I noticed that some people wanted to talk or get their picture taken with some of the "Tiki Royalty". First off, while they are well known in this community and deserve credit for bringing our current Tiki Culture to a higher level and promoting PolyPop, they should not be treated like a sideshow attraction or zoo animal. These are nice people that deserve to be treated considerately.

If you must absolutely get that picture with your Tiki Icon or hero:

Choose an opportune moment.
Be polite
Introduce yourself.
ASK PERMISSION !
Praise their efforts.
offer a drink.
Tip heavily ( just kidding )

During the MaiKai show when they are hot, sweaty and tired and trying to put food in their mouth, for example, is not the time to jump in and sniper a shot.
While I used the term "Tiki Royalty" they really just want to be treated like a real person, not royalty. At least that is my observation as a photographer.

If you must treat someone like royalty I can make myself available, but I have done very little yet compared to some. I would be more... wannabe court jester, if that.

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2007-06-20 09:52 ]

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2007-06-20 09:52 ]

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2007-06-20 09:54 ]

S

On 2007-06-20 09:48, Bohemiann wrote:

If you must treat someone like royalty I can make myself available, but I have done very little yet compared to some. I would be more... wannabe court jester, if that.

You are practically royalty to me :)

Suzanne

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies