Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Have you ever seen this one???

Pages: 1 15 replies

Does anyone out there have any info on this Tiki... Not sure if its a mug or vase. It's about 7 1/2" tall. We found it at a flea market. We aboslutley LOVE it but have no info on it nor have we ever seen one like it. It has no markings...
Thanks for any info!

Aloha, Cosmo...
Will you be letting this one go as well?? I am interested. Maholla back! fBalls

CT

Sorry FB:

This is one of the few that we are actually keeping. We absolutely love it & it would be too difficult to replace...

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Oct 3, 2006 6:20 AM

Does anyone have any history on it? It's a keeper for sure. Nice find.

Mahalo

McTiki

T

The coloring, style and detail make me think it's an older Spanish Tiki mug but I've never seen it before. Some Porcelanas Pavon mugs are not marked.

TD

i'm sorry ,just alittle confused here.4 days ago you had "had to part with your beloved tiki treasures for some undisclosed reason" but you are out at flea markets buying a mug you intend to keep.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Oct 3, 2006 8:27 AM

You know, for all the times I have seen "mugs" marked as "vases", I think this is the first time I have seen a for real "tiki vase." Hard to tell the dimensions, but the weight and design looks like a vase to me.

H

On 2006-10-03 06:37, Tikinomad wrote:
The coloring, style and detail make me think it's an older Spanish Tiki mug but I've never seen it before. Some Porcelanas Pavon mugs are not marked.

Tikinomad, you're instincts are excellent. It is indeed a Porcelanas Pavon mug, product number HW-046 D. The catalog shows it glazed in blue rather than the brown you have. It's beautiful!

p.s. -- also, the current catalog has diminished detail compared to yours. Their mold is probably on its last legs.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2006-10-03 08:40 ]

On 2006-10-03 07:39, TIKI DAVID wrote:
i'm sorry ,just alittle confused here.4 days ago you had "had to part with your beloved tiki treasures for some undisclosed reason" but you are out at flea markets buying a mug you intend to keep.

Dear David:

Sorry to have confused you. We are parting with the over 130 mugs of our collection & keeping maybe 10. We were out in a flea market MANY MANY years ago when we found this one & it is one of the few that we ARE keeping & just wanted to see if anyone out there had any info on it. Thanks!

Thanks for the Porcelanas Pavon tip... I'll have to check it out! So Exciting!!! Mahalo!!!

I

Does anyone know of a book that illustrates most of the tiki mugs created and the different types of styles..ie..bosko,shag,marquesan..etc. thanx PS. I already have BOT

...."The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"...Einstein

[ Edited by: IsleConch 2006-10-03 13:13 ]

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Oct 3, 2006 2:07 PM

On 2006-10-03 13:12, IsleConch wrote:
Does anyone know of a book that illustrates most of the tiki mugs created and the different types of styles..ie..bosko,shag,marquesan..etc. thanx PS. I already have BOT

Tiki Quest is a great print resource, but you can't go past Ooga-Mooga if you just want pictures of mugs.

H

Another note about this mug -- its Pavon name is "Bastardo Kahala" -- perhaps it was designed for use at Kahala in Barcelona?

CT

On 2006-10-03 17:16, Humuhumu wrote:
Another note about this mug -- its Pavon name is "Bastardo Kahala" -- perhaps it was designed for use at Kahala in Barcelona?

Ooohhhhhh!!! I think the name makes it even cooler now...

[ Edited by: Cosmo Tiki 2006-10-03 20:16 ]

UPDATE: So I contacted "Porcelanas Pavon & got this reponse from them... Just wanted to share a little Tiki Art History!

----------- Email from Porcelanas Pavon-------------------------
Hello,

I think this mugs was produced by Porcelanas Pavón, but it was not painted or decorated by our company. This piece could have about 28 years (we started to paint tiki mugs in 1982) and we made them for Arte 4, a company that was closed 3 years ago.

Now, We have got this piece in our catalogue (Reference number Hw-046D) and it is 17,19 euros in our factory, this price is EXW, you should add the transport cost and custom tax.

Have you visit our website? sorry for not having the English part of our website available but in a few days it will be working. We are on it. Here you can see our complete catalogue and our price list.

Thank you for your interest about our products and have a nice day.

Regards, Ramón Lozano

H

WOW! I can't wait for the English version of their website. Very nice!!!

http://www.porcelanaspavon.com/vasijas_tiki.htm

They accept PayPal too !!!!!!

This could be very bad.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Pages: 1 15 replies