Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Robert Anton Wilson Needs Our Help

Pages: 1 4 replies

One of my favorite writers, Robert Anton Wilson, is dying from Post Polio Syndrome and only has enough money for this Month's rent.

From Douglas Rushkoff's Blog:

I hope people I've inspired with my work would band together to help me out in my later years if I needed it. Which is at least part of the reason why I'm sending what I can to support cosmic thinking patriarch Robert Anton Wilson, whose infirmity and depleted finances have put him in the precarious position of not being able to meet next month's rent.

In case the name doesn't immediately ring a bell, Bob is the guy who wrote Cosmic Trigger - still the best narrative on how to enter and navigate the psycho-spiritual realm, and co-wrote the Illuminatus Trilogy, an epic work that pushes beyond conspiracy theory into conspiracy practice. Robert Anton Wilson will one day be remembered alongside such literary philosophers as Aldous Huxley and James Joyce.

But right now, Bob is a human being in a rather painful fleshsuit, who needs our help. I refuse for the history books to say he died alone and destitute, for I want future generations to know we appreciated Robert Anton Wilson while he was alive.

Let me add, on a personal note, that Bob is the only one of my heroes who I was not disappointed to actually meet in person. He was of tremendous support to me along my road, and I'm honored to have the opportunity to be of some support on his.

Any donations can be made to Bob directly to the Paypal account [email protected].
You can also send a check payable to Robert Anton Wilson to
Dennis Berry c/o Futique Trust
P.O. Box 3561
Santa Cruz, CA 95063.

And from Dennid Berry, via Boing-Boing:

Sadly, we have to report that wizard-author-intelligence increase agent is in trouble with his life, home and his finances. Robert is dying at his home from post polio syndrome. He has enough money for next months rent and after that, will be unable to pay. He cannot walk, has a hard time talking and swallowing, is extremely frail and needs full time care that is being provided by several friends-fans-volunteers and family. We appeal to you to help financially for the next few months to let him die at his home in peace.

Robert's writing has enlightened-educated many and if you can please commit to help pay a portion of his expenses until his passing which sadly won't be that long. Monthly contributions of $50.00 or more will be greatly appreciated. All monies will go directly to Robert and can be sent to his PayPal address [email protected]. You can also send a check to RAW c/o Futique Trust, P.O. Box 3561, Santa Cruz, Ca 95063.

Or, you could buy a T-Shirt from Giant Robot Printing.

$10 from each shirt is earmarked to go to RAW.

Bought the shirt. This is a damn shame. More folks oughtta know his writings...

T

Just got back to my Illinois abode, from the hermetic bubble of a few days on tour in California.

I can't believe that none of my anarchist, radical, surrealist, counter-culturalist, conspiracy theorist, weirdo, freak-ass friends (this covers most of you) made note of what I just found out today, which is that Robert Anton Wilson, author of the astounding Illuminatus Trilogy - and so much more - succumbed to this Post-Polio syndrome, and died on Thursday.

Go read Illuminatus Trilogy!

NOW!

Damn Shame!
great writer! Frickin funny too!

A great light in the world has gone out.

Hail Eris!!! Hail Dischordia!!!

Pages: 1 4 replies